Got me an old girl today!! Savage xl!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man. I just ordered some stuff for it. Parts are getting scarce for these. And prices went up alot since I had my savages

I see after market parts & stock parts on E-bay all the time ,I almost posted them here on the forum ,because
I do have a parts thread here ,for people that have a hard time finding hard to get parts ,some of the parts
I see are in the sellers other items that are for sale ,sometimes isnt listed!.. :thumbs-up:

So today was the first run of the savage xl. Before I say anything I want to say that in my whole life with savages *about 15 years* I've never owned or had much experience with the 5.9 engines, also I am familiar with the term "mid tank lean" but never really experienced it in real life.. so what I did..
I started it, let it warm up and drove it on its stock settings and I noticed it ran really rich on a full tank so I ran it to almost empty and by that time I had tuned it a bit and had it running pretty good.. topped It off while running and it seemed like even with the motor at its temp it would run really rich on a full tank. I felt like I was constantly starting over. But when I got down to about 1/4 tank it would really run lean..
Another thing I had issues with was my second to third gear wasn't shifting at all so I just ran it and then started to have other issues... my brakes started to act up.. at first I had plenty of breaks then I had no breaks and the truck would act like something was binding up.. at one point I had to walk up to it because it just locked up and wouldn't move so I went to free it up and it ran fine but then all of a sudden I lost it all!! Nothing!!! It was running ok thenmall of a sudden it was like the power was there on demand wheelies all over the place.. (running lean) then bam.. lost transmission.. I have a video of the run from today this video is clips put together in 4 tanks. At thw end you can see where it starts acting like a banshee but I didn't get the actual footage of the transmission letting go sorry guys I was driving with one hand
Let me know what you guys think..
Heres the after math!!

Finally got to wrench on the savage xl tonight. Was able to get out of work early so I could do a tear down and clean. It's missing a few odds and ends and the fuel tank need attention looks like he used the tank for parts as it's missing the cap and screw that goes over the seal under the fuel lid. Minor fixes.. all in all I'm happy with it.
Looks good man.👍👍 nice score
When was the last time it was ran. Sounds like it. Is completely out with everything. The shift point probably needed adjustment. The brakes probably maybe the servo. Did you do any adjustment before centering the servo? Did you adjust the slipper at all.. almost sound like it needed a really good tune up before the main run.

Last edited:
I never took the transmission apart when I got it.. Slipper was tight linkage was fine. Servos work properly. I actually found the brakes to be an issue with the the throttle and brake servo horn. It's a two piece and it was too tight so it wasn't able to turn. This truck came from kentucky and I'm in maine so alot of tuning needed to be done to make it run decent. A new glow plug probably wouldn't hurt it. I have ordered a 2 speed and plan to just go with that for now. A 3 speed is like 150 for it. I got the 2 speed for 40. They're not that much different, I know the 3 speed uses a 15/52 gearing where the 2 speed uses 17/47 so I will probably have to gear it.

So today was the first run of the savage xl. Before I say anything I want to say that in my whole life with savages *about 15 years* I've never owned or had much experience with the 5.9 engines, also I am familiar with the term "mid tank lean" but never really experienced it in real life.. so what I did..
I started it, let it warm up and drove it on its stock settings and I noticed it ran really rich on a full tank so I ran it to almost empty and by that time I had tuned it a bit and had it running pretty good.. topped It off while running and it seemed like even with the motor at its temp it would run really rich on a full tank. I felt like I was constantly starting over. But when I got down to about 1/4 tank it would really run lean..
Another thing I had issues with was my second to third gear wasn't shifting at all so I just ran it and then started to have other issues... my brakes started to act up.. at first I had plenty of breaks then I had no breaks and the truck would act like something was binding up.. at one point I had to walk up to it because it just locked up and wouldn't move so I went to free it up and it ran fine but then all of a sudden I lost it all!! Nothing!!! It was running ok thenmall of a sudden it was like the power was there on demand wheelies all over the place.. (running lean) then bam.. lost transmission.. I have a video of the run from today this video is clips put together in 4 tanks. At thw end you can see where it starts acting like a banshee but I didn't get the actual footage of the transmission letting go sorry guys I was driving with one hand
Let me know what you guys think..
Heres the after math!!

Great stuff ,look like you was having fun!..:hehe::hehe:

The o-rings could be giving you inconsistant tune too ,you can pull the needles an rub some lube on them ,:thumbs-up:
that is how I found out that mine were dried up an leaking!
But other than that ,it sound pretty descent!
Some times if the engine is running rich ,it wont shift in the 3rd gear ,so keep that in mind ,dont
get no grease on that o-way bearing inside the tranny ,use really sticky grease only on the outside
of the gear teeth ,not a whole lot were it gets on the main shaft that the o-way bearing rides on ,
if any grease gets in that bearing ,it will slip & fry it ,I run a greaseless tranny on my MGT.!..

Great stuff ,look like you was having fun!..:hehe::hehe:

The o-rings could be giving you inconsistant tune too ,you can pull the needles an rub some lube on them ,:thumbs-up:
that is how I found out that mine were dried up an leaking!
But other than that ,it sound pretty descent!
Some times if the engine is running rich ,it wont shift in the 3rd gear ,so keep that in mind ,dont
get no grease on that o-way bearing inside the tranny ,use really sticky grease only on the outside
of the gear teeth ,not a whole lot were it gets on the main shaft that the o-way bearing rides on ,
if any grease gets in that bearing ,it will slip & fry it ,I run a greaseless tranny on my MGT.!..
Thanks man I thought it was running good till I blew the tranny haha.. she will be up and running again soon. I'm.curious to see how well truck goes with the 2 speed

Oh man.. you should have went over it with a fine tooth comb. Dam bud. Well you will get her fixed and running again.. at this point I would go over everything.did you check the diffs?. Bearings o-rings in motor. You really should break it completely down bud so nothing else breaks on you. Glad you had fun for a while... can't wait for next run👍👍👍

I can't wait to get it done and running right this thing is a blast to drive. I forgot how fun these were to drive

Back