got a tmaxx 3.3 need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grazz77

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
hello so a friend of mine gave me his used tmaxx 3.3 and said "i havent ran it in a few years" so i take this tmaxx and first thing i notice is that the slipper clutch is missing 2 out of three pads and that the motor is not moving. also he had the steering servo reversed all not a big deal for me. i soak the motor with wd and in like 2 hours i have it moving freely and has compression. small battle won! so now i take care of the slipper clutch again not a big deal. now i return the carb to factory settings and attempt to start it up!! to my surprise it starts rather easily wow right?! not it starts to scream to the point i had to pull the fuel line to get it to stop. also i think i had the slipper clutch to tight cuz it wanted to take off so i loosen the slipper a small amount and double check the idle screw and sure enough it was almost all the way in so i fix this issue and now when i can get it to start it will run for about 30 secds and as soon as i give it any throttle it respons then it goes super high rev and i have to clamp fuel line to get it to stop then its like a day waiting for it to try to start again. so any thoughts on this matter and who thinks it rebuild time for the carb?! any input would be helpfull thanx!

nitro for life!

Are the throttle linkages moving freely?
Did you seal up the engine when you put it back together, to me I'd be looking for an airleak of some form and possibly the front bearing it not sealing well enough and is need ing replacement

---------- Post added at 5:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:24 PM ----------

Are the throttle linkages moving freely?
Did you seal up the engine when you put it back together, to me I'd be looking for an airleak of some form and possibly the front bearing it not sealing well enough and is need ing replacement

Have to go with the group, air leak. Seal engine, replace all lines, check fuel tank seal, etc...

The linkage to the carb is moving freely but I do not think the slide is closing full.

---------- Post added at 1:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:30 AM ----------

Tomorrow I'm going to replace the fuel and fuel lines. And after taking apart the entire engine all is sealed and all nuts bolts all tight. So fingers crossed we will see how it works!

It's most likely your throttle rod. If the carb is not going all the way back at neutral, there are a few things to check, but first ensure the rod is parallel to the carb ball. You can move the face plate via a (typically 1.5 hex driver) opposite the ball.

I sent you a PM with additional info that might help....

Last edited: