Got a Hobbywing max10 sct/3200kv 3660 in my stampede 4x4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, after snapping my motor shaft on my castle 3800kv, instead of spending $40 on a replacement rotor, I went with a different motor/esc altogether. I started running 3S late in the fall in the truck and I'm 99% sure that once summer got here with 75F+ temps, I would have started having overheating problems. So, instead of waiting and finding out, I figured I'd try a little lower kv motor and a true HW esc (vs the blx185 in my outcast being a rebadged hw).

Had to grind a post off where the esc sits so the motor had enough room. The wires were too short on the motor to do much with them.
2019-0313-Stampede-HWMax10SCT-3200kv-BatterySide.jpg

2019-0313-Stampede-HWMax10SCT-3200kv-MotorSide.jpg

I went with 13/54 gearing with this motor. I was running 11/54 with the 3800. Also, now that the esc puts out 6V+, I ditched the 5A BEC I had jammed in the radio box. I also put a Y adapter on the esc fan so I didn't have to run the motor fan clear to the receiver box. I just threw the castle 3800kv fan on there so it could keep air moving at least.

When I got the combo, I also got a program box. Figured for the price, it will be less of a pain to use than going by set button pushing and beep counts.

I dropped the punch to 2 and cut the brakes down to I think 25%. I only ran it for 5 minutes before I put in the fans and tightened up all the wiring. Wanted to make sure everything worked and the settings did what I wanted as getting at the plug on the esc is a pain with my roll bar in the way. Still, easier than cracking open the receiver box and unplugging the esc from the receiver like the castle esc made me do.

I ran it with a 14T pinion in my parking lot. Ambient was about 55F. I didn't take my temp gun, but when I got back upstairs, the esc/motor were both reading 100F, so I dropped to the 13T since I had it. Will see how that does. Hoping to get some wheel time with it this weekend, but with all the warmer temps all week and rain, everywhere is going to be a puddle. And the temps are dropping to low 30's again all weekend.

The HW3200kv 3660 next to the castle 3800kv:

2019-0313-Castle3800kv-vs-HW3200kv-front.jpg

2019-0313-Castle3800kv-vs-HW3200kv-rear.jpg

2019-0313-Castle3800kv-vs-HW3200kv-side.jpg

And the esc's:
2019-0313-CastleSCTsv3-vs-HWMax10SCT-top .jpg

2019-0313-CastleSCTsv3-vs-HWMax10SCT-end.jpg

2019-0313-CastleSCTsv3-vs-HWMax10SCT-Side.jpg

I was wondering if you were going to have to remove that post.
Yep. No way it would fit in there. There were 2 posts side by side connected with a small plastic rib. I cut the rib, then dremeled out the post closest to the motor.

Hey do you guys like your 3s Arrmas? I’m debating if I should get a Typhon 3s for skate park duty but not sure if they will hold up to that abuse.

My logic is that plastic in that case is way better than metal.

I only have an arrma outcast. I can say that my 3S stampede gets as much air as my outcast with 4S in it and comes away unscathed.

The issue with the 2/3s trucks is more the drivetrain than the chassis holding up. On 2S, plastic axles hold up ok, not great. On 3S, they wouldn't have held up well at all.

To hold together, my stampede only really needed alloy shock caps, alloy rear hub carriers and MIP X-Duty steel cvd's. Everything else I did to it was mostly because it lasts longer and is less likely to break, also to make it handle a bit better.

I don't know if the stock esc/motor would have held up to 3S as I got my truck used and it was sorely abused and not maintained, which would suggest it was likely run hard and hot. I transplanted my motor/esc into my converted ejato. The second or 3rd time I ran 3S in it, the motor died. I bought a castle sct sv3/3800kv combo for it as well, but with the esc only putting out 5V to the receiver, I didn't feel like fiddling with it, so I only used the motor and it's been working fine with the vxl-3s esc so far on 3S.

So now I have 2 castle sct sv3 esc's in a box that aren't likely to get used. One is brand new. My hobbystar 3200kv 3660 motor showed up today and I'll likely put that in my eJato and see how it does with the vxl-3s esc. Guessing it may run a bit cooler as the 3800kv really screams on 3S. I'll keep one of the sv3 esc's and the 3800kv out of my ejato as a backup, but may sell the other unused esc as it's not doing me any good.

What did you use to mount your esc?
I use heavy duty velcro and a ziptie. The velco adds a bit of cushion, but just using one zip seems to work to keep it on. Then if I need to remove it, it's not a total pain.

I did use double sided gorilla mounting tape for the switch though... and since I broke my chassis literally in half today... I'll be finding out how well that stuff sticks soon.
2019-0317-Stampede-CrackedChassis-Bottom.jpg

Last edited:
No I mean what did you use for an esc tray.
lol! Sorry. The HW esc came with a tray. I used that. With my castle motor, I used a cut up piece of an old t-maxx skid plate I had laying around. The stock esc screwed directly to the chassis on little posts. One of which I had to cut off to fit the 3660 motor in there.

lol! Sorry. The HW esc came with a tray. I used that. With my castle motor, I used a cut up piece of an old t-maxx skid plate I had laying around. The stock esc screwed directly to the chassis on little posts. One of which I had to cut off to fit the 3660 motor in there.
Oh okay, I need to find/make something better for mine, right now it is the thing that is used to hold the receiver box on the battery tray out of my Outcast, but it isn't working very well at all.

Oh okay, I need to find/make something better for mine, right now it is the thing that is used to hold the receiver box on the battery tray out of my Outcast, but it isn't working very well at all.

You can mount it to the factory ESC tray. Either tape it there, or take a piece of paper and put it under the ESC to figure out the screw hole locations, then pop 4 holes and use that as a drill guide to drill the plastic ESC tray. You can then use 4 screws and maybe one zip tie as a backup.

This is mounted to OEM tray with screws. Max6 but same thing

You can mount it to the factory ESC tray. Either tape it there, or take a piece of paper and put it under the ESC to figure out the screw hole locations, then pop 4 holes and use that as a drill guide to drill the plastic ESC tray. You can then use 4 screws and maybe one zip tie as a backup.

This is mounted to OEM tray with screws. Max6 but same thing
:unsure:

Stampede 4x4 doesn't have an esc tray. I finally found something to make one out of. Much better than what I had before.

:unsure:

Stampede 4x4 doesn't have an esc tray. I finally found something to make one out of. Much better than what I had before.

View attachment 32994

Ohhh for a Pede... well according to Arrma fan boys you need to do this.
  1. Throw away your Traxxas
  2. Buy another Arrma
  3. Bitch on the forum every time you break something but always make fun of other brands
?

Ohhh for a Pede... well according to Arrma fan boys you need to do this.
  1. Throw away your Traxxas
  2. Buy another Arrma
  3. Bitch on the forum every time you break something but always make fun of other brands
?
If I wouldn't have gotten it for $100 I would have never bought it. Including the purchase price I have more money in my 4Pede than I do in my Typhon 3s.

If I wouldn't have gotten it for $100 I would have never bought it. Including the purchase price I have more money in my 4Pede than I do in my Typhon 3s.

Oh stop it.. I have more into my Arrma than my Tekno Truggy and some 1/5th scales. Is it worth it? NOPE, but I enjoy modding it. Don’t be a fan boy, be a happy owner who likes his Arrmas :).

Well to be honest, I don’t like stampedes but, I won’t knock it.

Oh stop it.. I have more into my Arrma than my Tekno Truggy and some 1/5th scales. Is it worth it? NOPE, but I enjoy modding it. Don’t be a fan boy, be a happy owner who likes his Arrmas :).

Well to be honest, I don’t like stampedes but, I won’t knock it.
That's funny. Telling people what to think.

Nice, very nice! I have this exact motor / esc combo (actually not exact as mines 3200kv) in my 1/10 Frankenstein buggy thats based on a helion dominus 10tr (of all things lol) running 17/50 pinion/spur and 11/34 at the rear diff. Only through the rear wheels and using 1/8 buggy badland copies all round with some hex converters.
Its a bloody animal and its taken LOTS of trial and error to get it to stand up to the motors power.

Its fun pushing stuff beyond what they can take isnt it lol

Back