4.5t sensored motor in a slash 2wd?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I had been thinking. Should I try to put one of my uncles 4.5 Novak motor in my slash? 1. Its sensored so I will need a new esc. When he ran those 4.5 motors he was using a HW XR10 Pro and then later to a HW v2.1. I had been looking at the HW quickrun which is basically a v2.1/v3.1. On the quick run ESC, the motor limit is 4.5 so I might be risking the esc if so. 2. More power and more broken parts? I have the 272R transmission. I had seen people use them on 4s, even 6s and they hold up to all of that power. I also plan to race the slash. (Only for fun and for a short period of time)

IMG_20230103_152534.jpg

IMG_20230103_152531.jpg

Those look like sickening motors. I am not sure is it different perspective but they look slightly longer than a standard 540 sensored motor, or maybe it's because of old tech when they were not that light weight like moderno motors. I would run with quick run bl120 but I would be very conservative with gearing and timing. I am not familiar with any Novak motors, but if bell timing is adjustable I would set it to 30 degrees. I experimented with old tekin gen 2 10.5t in my truggy first I had very conservative 15 degrees of timing and and it was dog slow but massive torque from the bottom and sickening brakes, than I bumped to the highest it would go that is 40 on the can, not sure how accurate is in reality, I don't have analyzer. A lot of speed and top end, but mellow with significantly less torque on the bottom and brake is much softer.

Modern motors like agressive timing, between 45 and 50, but older motors seems to be happy between 30 and 40.

But remember, consistency is key more power doesn't always mean faster lap time, actually it might be the opposite. My track is relatively small and technical so even with 17.5 motor I am using full throttle only for a second or two on the straight and then struggling to slow down :).

I am not sure is it different perspective but they look slightly longer than a standard 540 sensored motor
These are 550.
I would run with quick run bl120 but I would be very conservative with gearing and timing.
Yea the motor limit on that quickrun is 4.5 on 2s only.
I don't have analyzer.
I don't either. Ill look more into the quickrun. But my XR10 Pro in my B74 has motor timing on the programable esc settings. I am still running stock esc settings with my XR10 pro. Really haven't changed any thing. I should go in this weekend and change the low voltage detection (Planning to change it to 3.2v/cell)
But remember, consistency is key more power doesn't always mean faster lap time
True. I also got to remember that I will be against 4x4 scts too. I'm not there to win, I just want to run the slash just for fun. The buggy is more for the competition side of racing.
I would run with quick run bl120 but I would be very conservative with gearing and timing.
These motors have a 5mm shaft. The only pinion I have with a 5mm bore is a 23t. I plan to go maybe with a 16 or something. I will see what my uncle used for gearing with his SCTE 2.0. When he was racing he used these same 4.5 motors with a HW v2.1 and then later to a XR10 Pro. Later down the road I plan to get a 6.5 motor for the buggy so I can actually race with the mod class. I just posted in my clay tracks group to see if I can run my 13.5 buggy in the mod class. And same with the slash.
If I do get a 4x4 sct down the road I already got carpet and clay tires for it, 4.5 motor, batteries, and a radio. Ill just need a esc and a servo. I was looking at the TLR SCTE 3.0 but it is all standard hex not metric. I can always get a metric conversion kit tho. I would rather go with the Tekno sct410.3 or even the newly released sct410SL (Which has a ET410 based chassis and layout) I dumped so much money into my slash and I could of gotten a reliable 4x4 sct already with that money. And if I do start racing the slash I know it won't hold up to the abuse.

Last edited:
Right now in the slash I have a 4000kv sensorless motor/system. One guy says it should be plenty fast for the sct class. So I should be good to go. But I still want to experiment with the 4.5 motor.

I am not a big losi fan, I would definitely go with tekno. I have eb410 and et410.2 and they are awesome. Maybe not the best performance but reliable strong, fun to drive with front weight bias, part are available and reasonably priced.

In my opinion for slower guys like you and me, its least important to have a super powerful motor. In truggy I use to run motiv mc4 10.5 rotor Ron tuned, top of the line motor, previous owner paid 150$. Because it's super light weight and fragile, 2 out of 3 screws that hold the motor together stripped. I had spare almost 10 year old tekin gen 2 10.5, it has significantly less power, but my lap times are not any slower, actually it's easier to drive because it's not that agressive and it has less torque but good speed with higher timing. Acceleration and braking is smother and it seems that It doesn't disrupt the car handling and traction

IMG_20230101_164056333.jpg

I had been thinking. Should I try to put one of my uncles 4.5 Novak motor in my slash? 1. Its sensored so I will need a new esc. When he ran those 4.5 motors he was using a HW XR10 Pro and then later to a HW v2.1. I had been looking at the HW quickrun which is basically a v2.1/v3.1. On the quick run ESC, the motor limit is 4.5 so I might be risking the esc if so. 2. More power and more broken parts? I have the 272R transmission. I had seen people use them on 4s, even 6s and they hold up to all of that power. I also plan to race the slash. (Only for fun and for a short period of time)

View attachment 160187

View attachment 160188
A 4.5T is roughly the equivalent of a 9600Kv motor so unless you're planning on drag racing it then I wouldnt go anywhere near that low of a turn rating.

Back when the 4WD SCT class was first introduced I had ran these same 550 motors on 2S with 120A ESC's that were knock off's from the HW equivalent and never had any issues.

Totally doable for a 2WD Slash, but will be difficult to control the power on a race track, I would consider going with the lowest punch setting and soften the throttle response on the radio if possible.

Good Luck!

Totally doable for a 2WD Slash, but will be difficult to control the power on a race track, I would consider going with the lowest punch setting and soften the throttle response on the radio if possible.
Yep. They do sell sway bar kits so I might get one but it might require some modifications inorder to fit (Hot racing sway bar kit)
Also lowered the suspension so hopefully it handles a little better. I removed some of the preload clips and adjusted the shock position on the arm.

Back