G'ma here...need help to shock grandson

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjess

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Ok so my grandson has a truck but has lately talking about an emaxx. I've listened to him for some months and have been doing some research. His parents are on fixed income and I'm not made of money but..... I found this emaxx and bought it for $300. My problem is I don't know what the model of the motor is to buy the right batteries. Yes, I have become fluent (real fast)1in RC in order to shock my grandson on his birthday. I know I need the the hand controller thingy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking through posts I see pictures are real important. Thank you. G'ma Jess
GridArt_20240419_125555648.jpg

Good choice. Price wise I'm not really sure but this has a brushless Castle motor which is a good one with a Hobbywing
Quickrun ESC which is also a good one which is for 3s to 6s Lipo batteries. There is lots of available parts and you shouldn't have a problem finding them.
This would run with Lipo batteries and I "HIGHLY RECOMMEND" you read up on Lipo batteries before going this route.
Lipo batteries are great for power, run time and last quite a while if maintained properly.
If not? they could be a big fire hazard so PLEASE read up on Lipo batteries.

Good choice. Price wise I'm not really sure but this has a brushless Castle motor which is a good one with a Hobbywing
Quickrun ESC which is also a good one which is for 3s to 6s Lipo batteries. There is lots of available parts and you shouldn't have a problem finding them.
This would run with Lipo batteries and I "HIGHLY RECOMMEND" you read up on Lipo batteries before going this route.
Lipo batteries are great for power, run time and last quite a while if maintained properly.
If not? they could be a big fire hazard so PLEASE read up on Lipo batteries.
How do I identify the motor? Do I take the motor off? That would be the only surface I can't see.

No need to remove the motor, it should already be matched up with the esc specs.
There is a ton of different batteries and I would start with 3s if it were me.
Again the esc shows 3s to 6s so your motor specs will pretty much match that. If you went with 6s then we are talking serious power and I wouldn't recommend it if he is a beginner.
I can't mention it enough to read up on Lipo batteries before you purchase one.
You also need a good Lipo charger. @9x19 beat me to it but there are some really good chargers out there
and the Hota D6 is a good one.

It also came with a wrangler with 3 connectors on it and looks like it takes 2 batteries. Is that right? Or can it run on 1 battery?

You probably will feel kind of overwhelmed with all this but you got a great start.
Read the forum as much as you can because you will learn a lot.

It also came with a wrangler with 3 connectors on it and looks like it takes 2 batteries. Is that right? Or can it run on 1 battery?
You can run two 2s batteries and it would be 4s.
You can plug a jumper into one of the leads and just run one 3s battery.

Last edited:
Ok, this is how fast I learned "RC" speak....so 2-2s or 1-3s @ 50c. Right? What about volts?

You don't have to worry about the volts. There are 3.7 volts in a cell.
So a 3s battery has 11.1 volts. Nothing there to worry about actually.
Your esc and motor are all
ready set up for 3s to 6s batteries.
I would stay with a 3s battery until he has experience under his belt.
Definitely stay away from Traxxas batteries. They are set up so you can' t
charge them with anything but the Traxxas chargers and they are crap.

Last edited:
Good for you doing research and learning about what you are buying. Too many people buy something thinking how cool it is then find out they only have half of what they need.

First things first @gjess
How old is your grandson?
As Tunedfrog mentioned, you will definitely want to learn how to charge and care for LiPo batteries. That is the single most important thing new RC users need to learn if starting on an RC that uses LiPo's.

The Hota D6 Pro is hands down the best charger in its price range. There are cheaper chargers, but I would not recommend anything that is cheaper than the Hota. You can grab the Hota here - https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...6z3jol11c3FMKVIuXQ9z8ZOM0UMFV0iBoCiC8QAvD_BwE

That truck is setup for dual batteries. So I would grab a couple 2s batteries for it. You will want at least 50c, but I would go higher, like 100c. And you want at least 5000mAh batteries. You'll want to pay attention to the size to make sure they fit in the battery compartment. Your connectors are Desns, or T-Plug connectors. So you'll also want batteries with matching connectors.

I see on google that there is or was a store called Twisted Steel RC 1 541 435 3073 in your area. If they are any good (most are) you can take the emaxx there and they can be of great help. Not as cheap as online but someone to help and show you what is needed.

I see on google that there is or was a store called Twisted Steel RC 1 541 435 3073 in your area. If they are any good (most are) you can take the emaxx there and they can be of great help. Not as cheap as online but someone to help and show you what is needed.
I thought about suggesting that. But I was afraid she'd come away with a Traxxas charger and batteries 😅

Ok...I'm confused. If I run 1-3s battery why use the adapter with a jumper. Just not use the adapter at all. If I use the adapter then it's a parallel thing right? (Same volts double run time, yes?) The adapter is shaped like a triangle. It connects to the motor then to 2 batteries. What am I not understanding?

Ok. the esc will handle anywhere from 3 cells to 6 cells.A fully charged lipo is normally 4.2 volts a cell.so thats 3 x 4.2 = 12.6. as for adapter no need to use that .that is for more cells like 2 - 3 cells or 2- 2 cells...more cells the faster grandson will go .I dont know how adapter is..it could be 1 of 2 different ways .as in wiring..it could be parellel or in series..so i can't tell you about your more run time option.post pic of adapter.

The triangle adaptor is usually hard wired in and not removable. If you only want to use 1 battery a jumper goes in one plug and the other goes to the battery. I hope that makes since.