Glow Plug Starter reviews

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobebru

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I need some input on Glowplug starters...mainly who makes the best one...I know that all Glowplug starters are not created equal, but I would like one that's reliable, holds a charge for a decent amount of time and one that will last for a reasonable amount of time. Guys, tell what you use ...your likes and dislikes about these invaluable little gizmos.
:shrug: One last question: while reading some info. on the Team Associated website, I noticed that they say the fully charged glowplug starter should turn the glowplug's coil white-hot; it said if it only heats it up to an orange color, the glowplug starter needs charging or the glow plug is bad. What do you guys think about this white-hot deal? Thank you ahead of time for your input.

I've never seen one glow "White Hot"... Get a rechargeable, w/meter...

White hot, I never heard of. Look for a bright yellow. It's not the ignitor, it's the battery you use that determines how hot it gets and how long it lasts.

i use a std "D" cell ignitor with meter, but i have a 10,000mah battery in it. it all but gets the plug white hot. I've never had that ignitor fail me. the only time a motor doesn't start with it, is when the tank is empty.

I use the HOBBICO SUPER HOT SHOT 2, it comes with a 5000 mah rechargeable battery. It last a really long time between charges.

BUGNOUT said:
I use the HOBBICO SUPER HOT SHOT 2, it comes with a 5000 mah rechargeable battery. It last a really long time between charges.

The best.

I am about to order the hobbico. Got a link to that 10000 mah batt?

PiErow said:
I am about to order the hobbico. Got a link to that 10000 mah batt?

10,000 is overkill.

The 5,000 will last a LONG time as it is.

I use the Team Associated Factory Team one, but it soley on looks casue I've never had one fail on me before...well except when my buddy had the truck floored when I started it, wheelied and smashed it, so I bought the AE...looks really cool :)

I am using the long version of that, it works nicely.

I use this one: http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN1935

You can use either alkilines (suck) or NiCD sub-c battery's in it. My only problem is that it's just short enought that using it on my savage with a RC Solutions cage is a PITA!!! I used to really like it, but now I may be shopping for a longer one.

The Tower Hobby website (posted above) says in the specs.: 1500 mah battery...BUGNOUT says the battery is 5000 mah; so where do you get the 5000 mah Hobbico Super Shot 2 and its charger ? Or am I just drunk and reading this website wrong?

Here's the link for the heater: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMN95&P=ML

It says it comes with a charger.

That has to be a D sized battery for the Mah rating though. If not, I'm fairly certain the electric crowd would be buying them all up so they could make 5000Mah packs for their cars!

Last edited:
hobebru said:
The Tower Hobby website (posted above) says in the specs.: 1500 mah battery...BUGNOUT says the battery is 5000 mah; so where do you get the 5000 mah Hobbico Super Shot 2 and its charger ? Or am I just drunk and reading this website wrong?

There 2 versions.

The 5000mah version is here.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...?&I=LXMN95&P=ML

I think the 5000mah version is well worth it over the 1500mah version.

Aww crap. I hope it fits a MAch .26. I just orderd the Super.

It should work ok, but my RC-Solutions cage gets in the way so I have to hold the heater on the plug by hand at an angle as it is. If it was a "D" sized cell, I couldn't use it.

Most of the time I use a brick as shown below.

50DSC01683.jpg

Photo from Skymaxx's gallery.

Back