is the glow plug supposed to heat up all the way to the tip of the coil?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
i got a set of new glow plugs for my nitro rc car and yesterdya when i tested it, it seemed to heat up all the way deep inside the glow plug and also at the very tip. however today i couldnt get my rc started so i tried using my ignitor on the glow plug to test it and it was bright and hot at the bottom however it doesn't seem to be hot/red at the very tip/the last part of the coil

is this normal or i assume my ignitor battery is not that charged?

without seeing the gp and checking battery voltage I can't say.. trickle charge nimh and see results

glow plug should be bight yellow for a hot plug bright yellow orange medium plug. charge the battery overnight.

+1 on the igniter. Probably just need a charge

i charged it and checked voltage its around 1.47v however with a new plug being tested it glows orange however it doesn't come all the way to the tip of the coil. i can add a pic if that maybe helps. it is hot but i feel like it should be lit at the very very top of the coil too

i charged it and checked voltage its around 1.47v however with a new plug being tested it glows orange however it doesn't come all the way to the tip of the coil. i can add a pic if that maybe helps. it is hot but i feel like it should be lit at the very very top of the coil too
Post a picture. You might have just purchased a funky plug, sometimes they can be duds or maybe the engine was flooded, too lean or too rich. I usually don’t have any problems with plugs but I have gotten some that I felt weren’t up to par. What kind of plugs did you purchase and what kind of engine are they going into?

Post a picture. You might have just purchased a funky plug, sometimes they can be duds or maybe the engine was flooded, too lean or too rich. I usually don’t have any problems with plugs but I have gotten some that I felt weren’t up to par. What kind of plugs did you purchase and what kind of engine are they going into?
thanks for the help! here are some pics. maybe hard to see in the pic but in person the very tip of the coil isnt heating up. or is this normal?
I'm running traxxas 3232x long plug in savage x 4.6, was the only plug at the local hobby

Attachments

• IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1461.JPG
    IMG_1461.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1462.JPG
    IMG_1462.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1463.JPG
    IMG_1463.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 127
thanks for the help! here are some pics. maybe hard to see in the pic but in person the very tip of the coil isnt heating up. or is this normal?
I'm running traxxas 3232x long plug in savage x 4.6, was the only plug at the local hobby
Alright so I just checked two different standard glow plugs( a novarossi and a dynamite brand) with two different 90% charged glow igniters( a losi igniter and a hotshot2 one). Both of them lit up my glow plugs a bright orange, but the very ends of the coil did not glow in mine either. Both of these plugs are used with low runtime And worked just fine. I’d say it’s normal to not glow to the very end of the coil. That being said, I’ve had my hot shot2 glow igniter crap out on me randomly. My engine wouldn’t start one time a few months ago( for no reason or so I thought). I’d check the plug a few times and it would glow, but on the third time or so I checked well it jo longer glowed. What I’m saying is if your glow igniter is low or has a weak battery, the plug may still glow but it’s not quite enough to get it started. Charge your igniter, throw in a new plug just to keep everything fresh , and try again.

Replace the battery. Clean the contacts.

The plug should be yellow. Charge battery or get a new one.

Back