New Nitro RS4 didn't run, there is glow plug leakage and yellow fuel came from the exhaust. Please help...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SametRS4

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I bought probably the last nitro rs4 in stock in the world. This is my first nitro car. I measured the glow plug's volts at 1.4 volts with a voltmeter. (It is charged and works appropriately). The spark plug burns very brightly. No matter how fast I pulled the pull-start, the engine didn't start. I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel to the carburetor. In one of my tries, the engine got hot, I smelled nitro, then yellow fuel flowed from the exhaust, but the engine didn't run. While turning the flywheel, I saw tiny bubbles come out around the glow plug where flywheel hardened, and I heard a bubbling sound—the copper gasket of the plug was in there. Although I tightened it too much, I could not prevent this leakage. Could this be the cause of the engine not running? Can I fix this with a new glow plug? I think engine compression is fine. In all these trials, no matter how much fuel I pumped into the engine, the engine never flooded. Carburetor throttle was around 1.5mm and carburetor needles were at factory settings. Your ideas and helps are very important for me.
WhatsApp Görsel 2023-05-25 saat 23.47.24.jpg

Wow, nice find!

The biggest help to starting will be to preheat the engine - hair dryer, heat gun, warm it up for a solid minute.

Removing the glow plug and replacing it, maybe flipping the gasket over, should help it seal.

You don't need to pull the starter that fast or that far, just short, sudden pulls that turn the engine over 2-3 times. You can open up the idle gap by turning the idle screw clockwise a tiny bit to make starting easier too.

These engines are super easy to start, as suggested above you need to preheat it with a hair dryer until cooling head is too hot to touch.
A new copper washer should do it, btw do not over tighten the glow plug, thread of those cooling heads is very easily damaged.

First thing you should check whether the fuel is entering the carb (look at the fuel line) when you place your finger over the exhaust stinger and give it a few pulls. Once that is sorted, you can move onto the next step. This will tell you whether your fuel system is air tight and that carb has no blockage.
Although that fuel line that HPI used is annoying as you cannot spot the fuel travel in it very well.

Where from did you get a brand new RS4 nitro btw?
Good luck!

A leaky plug will not cause the engine to not start or run ,in some cases ,most people actually
loosen the plug up when they start a new engine ,it helps relieve some of the pressure
an helps the engine start easier!

Forgot to say the main thing to start, open the idle gap a bit more with throttle trim on your remote.
I am sure it will fire up, because its running a break in settings right now meaning too rich.

I bought probably the last nitro rs4 in stock in the world. This is my first nitro car. I measured the glow plug's volts at 1.4 volts with a voltmeter. (It is charged and works appropriately). The spark plug burns very brightly. No matter how fast I pulled the pull-start, the engine didn't start. I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel to the carburetor. In one of my tries, the engine got hot, I smelled nitro, then yellow fuel flowed from the exhaust, but the engine didn't run. While turning the flywheel, I saw tiny bubbles come out around the glow plug where flywheel hardened, and I heard a bubbling sound—the copper gasket of the plug was in there. Although I tightened it too much, I could not prevent this leakage. Could this be the cause of the engine not running? Can I fix this with a new glow plug? I think engine compression is fine. In all these trials, no matter how much fuel I pumped into the engine, the engine never flooded. Carburetor throttle was around 1.5mm and carburetor needles were at factory settings. Your ideas and helps are very important for me.
View attachment 166273
wait, you didn't connect wrong the fuel line, right?
The out on the black cap is usually used to apply pression to the tank

View attachment 166273
What y using for glo igniter? Good decent lipo rechargeable? Good fire? If there’s an air leak at plug u should still get fire. Blow their fuel tube off the pipe, remove it from pipe, blow and watch if fuel makes way to carb. If fuel is verified,reset hi/lo needle. To factory, replace plug, gasket, check burn room for no issues to make no seal and tank lid gasket. Otherwise it should fire unless massive air leak and or no compression, worst case new sleeve/piston, which engine?

Back