Getting back to running MGT 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the 20% vs 30% is different oil content I believe, but never really caused issues. I don't mix brands, just nitro percentages. Been a couple years since I bought nitro... brushless kind of took over. I just opened a jug last weekend that's been on my shelf for about 2 years.
i like brushless for the ease, but just something about burning some nitro lol

i like brushless for the ease, but just something about burning some nitro lol
Yeah, kind of got a bug up my butt to run nitro this spring. Probably partly to seeing your work on the MGT.

Ran my 21TM revo a couple weeks ago and my SavageX last weekend. Man... I suck at tuning some times! The OS tuned up just great and ran perfect for a solid hour.

The LRP30 in my X... it was a fight to the end, then my brake disks exploded by the time I got to the 4th or 5th tank. Between lack of running it for the past year or more combined with pickling the engine, removing the needles to put green slime on them so they didn't shrink while it sat, messing with the gearing, 2 speed and installing the trencher 3.8's... was a lot of variables and I ended up geared too tall, so was hard to find a good tune.

Going to replace the disks either with new ones or FullForceRC carbon fiber (not sure 2 will fit as they are thick) and drop the CB down one more tooth... then try to stitch the body back together as it did not have a good day and fix my rear bumper as I jacked that all up trying to hit big jumps without brakes. Will try getting it out again this weekend if weather permits. I won't run an LRP if it's below 50F... just never had good luck with them in the cold.

Yeah, kind of got a bug up my butt to run nitro this spring. Probably partly to seeing your work on the MGT.

Ran my 21TM revo a couple weeks ago and my SavageX last weekend. Man... I suck at tuning some times! The OS tuned up just great and ran perfect for a solid hour.

The LRP30 in my X... it was a fight to the end, then my brake disks exploded by the time I got to the 4th or 5th tank. Between lack of running it for the past year or more combined with pickling the engine, removing the needles to put green slime on them so they didn't shrink while it sat, messing with the gearing, 2 speed and installing the trencher 3.8's... was a lot of variables and I ended up geared too tall, so was hard to find a good tune.

Going to replace the disks either with new ones or FullForceRC carbon fiber (not sure 2 will fit as they are thick) and drop the CB down one more tooth... then try to stitch the body back together as it did not have a good day and fix my rear bumper as I jacked that all up trying to hit big jumps without brakes. Will try getting it out again this weekend if weather permits. I won't run an LRP if it's below 50F... just never had good luck with them in the cold.

Its 90 deg. here today ,an I HAVE NO FUELLLLLL!........:doh::doh::doh:

sometimes for some reason just have a mental block with tuning, just doesn't seem to go right no matter what, then the next day you are scratching your head wondering why you couldnt do it the day before.
shop got some 20% in today which is awesome! got an A5 glow plug to throw into my LST so gonna run that some more, need more of those damn exhaust coupler springs... always seem to break or lose them!hope your tuning gets under control next time!
awhile back running it i thought i was running super rich as it just didnt have take-off but just couldnt figure it out because there was a correct amount of smoke, was stuck in second gear... got that figured out i think, was still shifting a bit early for my liking last outing but tightened it up just a bit to test out next time! it seems weird but I've never really switched out tires till recently with my .21 MGT, always had good luck with the tires being in good shape and me being to cheap to get new ones to test others out!
that said i am quite pleased with the mashers though, and what little i have ran with the Big Joes.
so weird now that 40 series are kind of forgotten, but that was about the only thing to run back in the day.
wish you all luck with burning some nitro soon!

Yeah, mine was shifting way late and with the gearing, it didn't like pushing the big tires through the grass.

Then again, I'm really used to electrics now... ALL THE TORQUE ALL THE TIME! Even with a perfectly running nitro, it takes me a couple tanks to get used to it again. Having to lead up to a jump and gain speed vs jamming the throttle on the face of the jump after leisurely rolling up on it. Really sucked as by the time I at least had a tune I could live with even with the too high of gearing, the brakes tanked.

CV axle rebuilds came in today! Didn't realize they were sold in packs of 4, pretty awesome imo! Fit perfectly! Its kind of cool, how it is made the cup captures the set screw, hopefully that means if for some reason it does come loose it will be saved.
Need to find my bigger shrink wrap to wrap the cv pin for another capture point.

CV axle rebuilds came in today! Didn't realize they were sold in packs of 4, pretty awesome imo! Fit perfectly! Its kind of cool, how it is made the cup captures the set screw, hopefully that means if for some reason it does come loose it will be saved.
Need to find my bigger shrink wrap to wrap the cv pin for another capture point.

Yea ,that would help!

Also ,make sure that your hubs are set correctly to were the end of the axle that goes in the diff. cup
does not slide out too far!
I learnt the hard way ,an destroyed one of my MIP superduty axles ,it shattered the pin hole!....:doh::doh::doh:

Mip put out some super duties ,you can see in this pic the difference!

Oh wow that's a lot heavier duty! I want to get some of those, If I can find them, I just got the center rear for now as a b-day present.
Did find a different company that makes the drive CVS for the truck which I am curious about. Probably going to figure out sooner than later as one front on the .21 and a front on the this one are slightly bent

ended up ordering some Rival wheel hubs, where on sale for 4$ from associated, gonna see if i can make them work on this truck or maybe the .21, this one already does have the 23mm Pro-line ones. way more options for the 17mm than the 23mm and the 14mm.
there is a large bin of wheels in the clearance section at my LHS but most are either 2.2s or 17mm, or are the 14mm Traxxas 2.5 classic style wheel/tires.
really like the sizing of the 40 series so if i can, i am going to stick with them.
i am really leaning on getting a set of either these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-STEEL-CVD-DRIVE-SHAFT-Fits-ASSOCIATED-MONSTER-GT/200643158899
or these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARD-STEEL...ER-GT-21-4-6-MGT-TEAM-ASSOCIATED/180953461311
wanting to test them out see if they hold up or how well they hold up.

was able to run the truck last night, did pretty well, think I'm going to have to install that 17t Clutchbell i initially ordered for the .21 on this thing, think its a bit over-geared with a 19T, clutch is getting pretty warm. might need to clean up the shoes as well. have an extra set of HPI shoes, but wanting to use the ones on it up completely before i swap them. might go for some aluminum ones, (run 2 aluminum and 1 fiber).
also, it looks like my Spur gear shaft is ever so slightly bent (few thousandths), there is just enough i think where its causing a little binding on the one side. think its not too far to where i can adjust the mesh out a tad.
still dont know how much i am liking 30% in this thing. feels alot more temperamental to tune, window is alot tighter to run right. when it does hit power it seems to do well. definitely wanting to swap it back to 20% once i run out of the bottle i have.

was able to run the truck last night, did pretty well, think I'm going to have to install that 17t Clutchbell i initially ordered for the .21 on this thing, think its a bit over-geared with a 19T, clutch is getting pretty warm. might need to clean up the shoes as well. have an extra set of HPI shoes, but wanting to use the ones on it up completely before i swap them. might go for some aluminum ones, (run 2 aluminum and 1 fiber).
also, it looks like my Spur gear shaft is ever so slightly bent (few thousandths), there is just enough i think where its causing a little binding on the one side. think its not too far to where i can adjust the mesh out a tad.
still dont know how much i am liking 30% in this thing. feels alot more temperamental to tune, window is alot tighter to run right. when it does hit power it seems to do well. definitely wanting to swap it back to 20% once i run out of the bottle i have.

Lol.... My 5.9 doesn't even do too well on a 19t ,it throws the shifting into second way off!

I have a Robinson spur ,an it seems to be like you described ,so check your spur an see if it is concaved or
out of round ,I think mine is ,the plastic spurs don't seem to be ,sometimes I swap out ,an I get better performance
with the plastic spurs ,maybe because they are lighter an better balanced!

Here is one of my spur Mods ,I drill out the friction holes an use ball bearings ,the extra side wobble slop helps
shed debris an tracks true with the bell gear!

might have to try something like that!
another option i was thinking was getting another set of the integy tires and throw them on this truck, shed some tire/wheel weight and size.
these mashers are some great tires though...
one of these days want to get the stock flag MGT body and stock wheels/tires just to make it look more original styled. probably just for shelf queen times.

surprisingly it doesn't have bad acceleration with the 19T, CB on it, but just so hard on the clutch. almost stupid fast top speed for where i run though so not much of a point. gonna test that 17t and see if thats what i want on it, if its to slow might just order an 18T

surprisingly it doesn't have bad acceleration with the 19T, CB on it, but just so hard on the clutch. almost stupid fast top speed for where i run though so not much of a point. gonna test that 17t and see if thats what i want on it, if its to slow might just order an 18T

Is that a 54 spur or 52 ,if it is the 54 ,then that maybe the reason that you have good top end with that bell ,although ,I think
the 21 size engine may have more torque!

Is that a 54 spur or 52 ,if it is the 54 ,then that maybe the reason that you have good top end with that bell ,although ,I think
the 21 size engine may have more torque!
it is the 54T RRP Spur, did RRP make a 52 Spur for these?
dont have a stock spur setup on either of my MGT's, kind of want to swap back to plastic, but at the same time dont really have any need. both of my spurs are very straight. no out of round or tweaking that i can tell. one of the main reasons i want to get that clutchbell in check. dont want to warp the spur! so hard to find the RRP Spurs for these anymore.
are you using factory brake pads for your trucks btw?

it is the 54T RRP Spur, did RRP make a 52 Spur for these?
dont have a stock spur setup on either of my MGT's, kind of want to swap back to plastic, but at the same time dont really have any need. both of my spurs are very straight. no out of round or tweaking that i can tell. one of the main reasons i want to get that clutchbell in check. dont want to warp the spur! so hard to find the RRP Spurs for these anymore.
are you using factory brake pads for your trucks btw?
I am not sure what sizes Robinson made for the Mgt trucks ,I had never bought any new from them ,the one that I have ,
came in a LOT of parts that I got from E-bay!

The stock Mgt. spurs are 52t ,an yes ,stock brake rotors an are original ,got to be hitting 15 years old!...LOL

Spur gear, and pro-line powerstrock shock mounting hardware. Have actual clearance now for the shock caps from the shock tower! About 1/8-3/16" longer! And actually have threads beyond the shock mount nut.
Shocks cycle much better now.
Got the clutchbell installed, just need to set the mesh. Gonna need a new spur gear shaft soon, can get the mesh mostly right though.
Ended up having to shim the flywheel out, couldn't quite get it far enough with the mounts alone.

do have a question, wanting to test out some new clutch shoes eventually, i have a set of HPI ones from the savage, and the ones in it are as well i believe, which dont get me wrong have worked well. wanting to try out some aluminum ones. i am planning on running 2 Alu. 1 Composite, as from what i have read seems to work well. but as far as what ones, i am unsure. i know for savages people ran Ofna shoes, some ran Mugen.
I'm not really racing this thing, (obviously) but given that i can experiment around was wanting to try something new.
anyone here run aluminum clutch shoe setups in their 1/8 nitro? if so what ones did you have luck with? or was it not even worth it and should stick with composite?

Back