Getting back to running MGT 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My truck is almost or about 15 years old ,an is perhaps one of the models that was first put out after the 21 size version!
So ,there was not too much change of them ,other than the engine size ,however ,the 8.0 version came out with a beefier
trans. ,only the internal parts an spur gear & shaft with spur gear support bracket was added ,the trans. housing is the same!
All of the parts enter change with each other ,that was a win ,win all the way!

Thunder tiger was another entity brand that merged with Ae. brand ,they also produced the same ,so ,look out for
those parts as well ,I think that it was a Mt4 or something to that!

Oh ,that whole skid an front bumper is made by me ,I make my own parts ,an have the ability to make you some as well!...:D

yeah the mgt is old, its weird when i was getting into nitro rc, there were few avenues for bashing, MGT, savage, or T-Maxx. Lst was brand new at the time. now you dont really see any of them anymore, except the t-maxx, and the Lst gasser/brushless models. more or less my thought was to run plastic A-Arms so it wouldnt as easily break the diffs, and as you said, A-Arms are one of the last things you can easily find, so making that the weak link would be beneficial. i dont really want to go bulletproof everything on this truck, as for how heavy and fast these are something will give, i just want to be able to halfway control what will give to reduce need of finding parts.

should show a few more pictures of that bumper, really like it! what all kinda parts you fab up? may take you up on that!

Oh ,here ,this is the weak spot!....:cool:

That was an issue with the stupid t-maxx too. Why they didn't capture the front/rear of the pins with an alloy plate, I'll never understand. I went through bulkhead after bulkhead on that thing. What sucked, is if you did upgraded to alloy bulks, the trailing edge of the arm still floated in behind the bulk and would bend the hinge pin. Then you had to fight to get the pin out of the bulk.

Was a goofy setup.

should show a few more pictures of that bumper, really like it! what all kinda parts you fab up? may take you up on that!

Skid plates are simple ,they don't have to be milled!

I made that years ago ,had photos ,but viruses had taken my photos on my past PC's through Photobucket!
I had tons of pics of my own fabs!

This is not an Mgt fab ,but is a more recent on my KM baja of what I do!

can't find my baja work now ,I will find it later ,however ,here is the slash work on nerf guards!

those side skids look awesome!! I'm thinking about trying to find a way to extend the chassis down almost like a cap, over the entire differential, and (cutting off the original mounts from the diff) and have new mounts on the cap, that way being able to make it out of metal, and if it breaks fab up a new one, and not have to replace the entire diff for exterior components that arent even part of the diff itself. also allowing to have another tab to stick in front and maybe behind the A-Arm mounts so that the screws are mounted to frame first not A-Arm(will need to look into longer screws/pins, i have a bit of tools to fab stuff, but not a whole lot and materials are a bit scarce. moving disintegrated my tooling collection. next time something breaks my look into trying something like this. was able to get back to the LHS and they still have a bin of parts for these, (really happy there was only like 2 people (including me) that ran MGTs in my town) so there are still some local parts. (no diffs though sadly). is a trans case, a-arms, hub carriers, gears etc. though

those side skids look awesome!! I'm thinking about trying to find a way to extend the chassis down almost like a cap, over the entire differential, and (cutting off the original mounts from the diff) and have new mounts on the cap, that way being able to make it out of metal, and if it breaks fab up a new one, and not have to replace the entire diff for exterior components that arent even part of the diff itself. also allowing to have another tab to stick in front and maybe behind the A-Arm mounts so that the screws are mounted to frame first not A-Arm(will need to look into longer screws/pins, i have a bit of tools to fab stuff, but not a whole lot and materials are a bit scarce. moving disintegrated my tooling collection. next time something breaks my look into trying something like this. was able to get back to the LHS and they still have a bin of parts for these, (really happy there was only like 2 people (including me) that ran MGTs in my town) so there are still some local parts. (no diffs though sadly). is a trans case, a-arms, hub carriers, gears etc. though

I was thinking on the T-maxx diff . they are everywhere an may possibly be adapted to fit a Mgt. if some special brackets were made!
A skid plate can be fabbed easy for hinge pins!

There is a lot of aluminum diff. out there for the traxxas ,but if I make skids to accomidate the lower hinge pin ,LOL ......
then I don't need no aluminum cases ,the Mgt, diff. spools them selves were bullet proof out of the factory ,I know
that I never had issues with the gears ,only the bearings would wear out in time!

I still have a few diff cases left ,I use to buy the whole Mgt rollers for about $ 75 bucks on auction just to have for
parts rather than buying part here an there!

Last edited:
i know the shaft drives were different so i dont know about the logistics of transfering a T-maxx over, if you might be able to replace just the Yoke?if the yoke shaft is the same size may be able to work with that, that would be another option to is to run the lower A-Arm mounts on another skid plate... then mount the OE style skid over it (minor tweaking involved). trying to get out of having to replace hard to find items anymore. and the A-Arms dont "need" to be mounted to the diff so the diff wont have to do anything else besides just be a diff.

Doesn't the MGT run 1/8th sized diffs? Might be able to use stuff from a 1/8th buggy or LST or savage. The entire case wouldn't work, but the diff and pinion themselves.

Doesn't the MGT run 1/8th sized diffs? Might be able to use stuff from a 1/8th buggy or LST or savage.

Yea ,might ,but traxxas at the time was confused an never really labeled the T-max as 1/10 or 1/8 ,I think ,I never
seen no scale revealed on that truck not unless I missed it!.....

the T-Maxx i believe was considered a "large 1/10th" anymore they label it as a "1/10th" but the truck and wheelbase is 2" shorter than the MGT, and 1" thinner than the MGT. (Dimensions off a 49104-1 T-Maxx). might have to look into seeing if my LST diffs will mount up to it. only issue i am expecting though is that Losi likes standard hardware and associated likes metric. so far the diffs are good and if its only the exterior stuff off the diff i would be able to re-use them and find a new way to mount the A-Arms.

Yea ,might ,but traxxas at the time was confused an never really labeled the T-max as 1/10 or 1/8 ,I think ,I never
seen no scale revealed on that truck not unless I missed it!.....
They are tiny little 2 spider diffs. They run the same diffs (more or less) in the stampede 4x4, slash 4x4, slayer 4x4, revo 2.5/3.3, brushless revo v1 (with a x-bar inside), t-maxx 3.3.

I'm 99.9% sure the MGT runs 1/8th sized diffs, which physically are larger. Larger gears, larger cup, larger internals.

They are tiny little 2 spider diffs. They run the same diffs (more or less) in the stampede 4x4, slash 4x4, slayer 4x4, revo 2.5/3.3, brushless revo v1 (with a x-bar inside), t-maxx 3.3.

I'm 99.9% sure the MGT runs 1/8th sized diffs, which physically are larger. Larger gears, larger cup, larger internals.

Yes the Mgt. is 1/8 scale ,I thought that the T-maxx had the same size ,an I did not know that they were 2 spider!

I had a 1 st gen T-maxx at one time for about a month ,but got rid of it quick ,I never ventured into the running gear!

I think ,but it is rare that I break the hinge pins off at the diff. ,however ,I think that I can fab up a skid plate for a
hinge pin collector rather than beat my brains out to make a different brand diff. work!

You fella's has got me curious now ,an I do have my basher Mgt. torn down right now ,but ,I also have a ton of
parts laying around for a muack up an see if it is doable!....

definitely let me know if it is!!! i was gonna try sketching up my idea after i look at it closer might bounce ideas for how to go about it off ya if thats alright. i think its going to be a bit of work fabbing it, I'm thinking either do semi similar to the top where they use a bulkhead mount, and have it bolt-able to a an extended skit plate brace (or a square u shape that is mounted to the frame rails making it "boxed" over the diffs, to have it all in one. maybe 1/4" thick stock so the hole can be drilled through it all the way for the pin.

definitely let me know if it is!!! i was gonna try sketching up my idea after i look at it closer might bounce ideas for how to go about it off ya if thats alright. i think its going to be a bit of work fabbing it, I'm thinking either do semi similar to the top where they use a bulkhead mount, and have it bolt-able to a an extended skit plate brace (or a square u shape that is mounted to the frame rails making it "boxed" over the diffs, to have it all in one. maybe 1/4" thick stock so the hole can be drilled through it all the way for the pin.

My thoughts exactly ,I have 1/4 '' aluminum plating ,an plenty of it for to fab the skids out of ,I have to go out an
see if I got any billet pieces for the hinge pin ears!
First ,I am going to see if they can be installed on the existing original skids!....:cool:

Might be worth perusing this site:
http://csgbenefits.org/mgt/

What sight is that?
I never heard of it ,however ,I do know of ,an perhaps chatted with Chevy ss in the past ,but
that was many years ago!....:wideyed:

The Dude doesn't sound familure ,but may have crossed paths as well!

I think Chevy ss is on my friends list on another forum ,I think that he use to have a solid blue
colored body at one time on his Mgt. as his avitar pic!....:cool:

wow.... i remember being on forums years ago and talking to Chevy SS, dont even know what forum it was. the Dude sounds semi familiar but it might have been because his parts. i thought he used to make parts and sell em alot.
blast from the past right there lol.

Just seemed relevant to the MGT path your on. I ran across it when trying to find photo's of MGT diffs next to other diffs to see the comparison.

Just seemed relevant to the MGT path your on. I ran across it when trying to find photo's of MGT diffs next to other diffs to see the comparison.

Yea ,thnx olds!
Now you got me wondering where all those Fella's went ,now I am really on a RC freak hunt!.....LOL

I am looking at my old front skidplate ,which I flattened out an used it as a pattern for the custom made skid & diff now

It might be just feasible to just make a little support bracket plate that goes end to end where the pin enters and to where
it exits!
The plate bracket could slide under the diff. in between the diff. & skid plate ,the only change ,is that it will lower the
skid plate about a 1/16 to 1/8 in which isn't too much.

When I made my front skid ,it was thicker an it altered my steering ,but I put a washer under the steering post
to take up the slack!

I had made a similar support bracket for my baja on the shock tower ,I will show pics of that later ,it will give
an idea of what I am talking about!

Here is a pic.

Back