Gear and pinion meshing issues on redcat shredder.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco1005

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a redcat shredder running 6s with leopard motor etc., I have the 49 tooth steel gear with a 17 tooth pinion. I have been stripping the steel 49 gear because it's like if I have the pinion gear meshed-in close with the gear teeth then it's like it gets stuck and the wheels won't move because it's too close meshed. If I pull the pinion out a bit then it doesn't grab enough and then starts stripping the gear. I saw I needed a 'mod1' pinion which it is so I don't know what to do to get the teeth on both parts meshed good and tight and be able to move the car like it should.

I have a redcat shredder running 6s with leopard motor etc., I have the 49 tooth steel gear with a 17 tooth pinion. I have been stripping the steel 49 gear because it's like if I have the pinion gear meshed-in close with the gear teeth then it's like it gets stuck and the wheels won't move because it's too close meshed. If I pull the pinion out a bit then it doesn't grab enough and then starts stripping the gear. I saw I needed a 'mod1' pinion which it is so I don't know what to do to get the teeth on both parts meshed good and tight and be able to move the car like it should.
Is the spur mod1 also? The spur and the pinion have to be the same pitch.

Is the spur mod1 also? The spur and the pinion have to be the same pitch.
Ahh ok thanks. It's the spur made by redcat ,I'll have to try and find out. If it's not mod1 do you know of any that would work on a shredder? I'm a little new to this rc world.

I took a quick look around the internet and it seems that the stock gears for the shredder are mod1. If your spur gear and pinion are both mod1 then you most likely have some problem in your drive line somewhere causing excessive drag. You may need to check all the bearings and gears throughout the entire driveline of the rig. From the wheel bearings to the front & rear diffs to the center diff/transmission.

Ahh ok thanks. It's the spur made by redcat ,I'll have to try and find out. If it's not mod1 do you know of any that would work on a shredder? I'm a little new to this rc world.
Figuring out the pitch is most important. You can take the width and × that by the number of teeth on the gear to figure out whatboitch the gear is bud.. and there are gear calculators on line you can download...i will send you a link to one I use...
It's very simple messure the with of the gear and count the teeth. And it will tell you what type of pitch your gears are or any gear for any RC...👍👍

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-gear-calculator/

Last edited:
Back