futaba 3pk?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miami fanatic

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I own a futaba 3pk radio this past weekend i spilled odonell fuel on the back i tried to wipe it off but it dulled the plastic i got that part fixed but now the display is real faint actually you can't really see it any suggestions on how to fix the display maybe a reset button?

Auto body polishing compound and lots of elbow grease. There's no easy way, but it will rub out the burned plastic.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. I hope you're saying that the plastic window is foggy from the fuel. If the window is still clear and your display is faint, that means it got inside and onto the circuit board. Rubbing alcohol and an air hose. Good luck.

Last edited:
so should i take it apart and spray rubbing alcohol on the circuit board then take an air hose to it will the rubbing alcohol ruin anything i tried some electronics cleaner didn't help. the plastic window was foggy but i used some plastic scratch remover and came pretty clear. You can see the display still works but is real faint.

If fuel did any damage to the liquid crystal display, your in deep doo doo. It's unlikely it could have leached into the sandwiched window, so just put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and clean all the small contacts to that window. Blow it dry, real dry. See if you notice any oil residue on the circuit board. If you do, do the same thing. Wet it good with alcohol and blow it dry, real dry.
Keep the batteries out, DO NOT turn it on. keep it in a warm dry place and don't turn it on till the next day. That just gives a little extra time for some of the potentiometers on the board to dry on the inside. You might luck out.
Get back to me, and if that didn't work, I'll take you to step 2.

I took the back off and sprayed it with rubbing alcohol i noticed some oil residue on the back of the circuit board so i took a qtip and rubbed it came off then i blew it off with my air compressor let dry just put back together and still the display is faint. what is step 2?

How long have you had this radio? Actually that no longer matters, since it's obvious that there's been some damage that would void your warranty.

Step 2. With the radio open, and turned on, squeeze the LED window at different points where the ribbon wire enters and see if the display gets darker. If it does, you have a problem with the contact points. Not something you can repair, but sometimes that will improve the connection and it will stay. In time, it might improve or it might get worse. If you can read it at all, just leave it as is. It will have no effect on the performance of the radio.
I don't want to take mine apart to see how it's made, but if there's a plastic plug at the end of the ribbon wire, you should be able to pull it off and separate it from the LCD window. Buff the copper contacts on the window carefully with a pencil eraser, and clean the long plug strip with tuner cleaner from Radio Shack.
Let me know what you find.

I tried everything i suppose i better just send it in. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Back