Steering Servo time for my Rustler VXL 2WD

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBGrip

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm through pretty much through suspension, chassis and tire upgrades for a minute; moving on to steering.... aluminum bell crank is on the way. Have been running the stock Alias fronts, and Proline Trenchers on the rear, and that seems to be best at the moment for all terrains (cul dec sac in front, acre plus of woody yard, with some sandy areas in the rear, and I go to the occasional skatepark, when no one else is there). Stock Traxxas 2075 servo, but it could definterly be better, I want to quicken response, and of course hold the line better, not to mention getting rid of some of the slop, that I think is due to the servo saver (will see what the bellcrank does) I do have another set of Trenchers, to go on the front, but it seems the stocks run better up front, not sure if it's because of the tread pattern, the weight, or size of the tire, or IF it was because the servo wasn't quite strong enough?

So I've spent the past day and a bit looking in to servos. My head hurts. I think I understand some things, but am looking for more clarity.

Have been recommended the usual suspects Savox, Protek (which I didnt know was owned by Amain), Powerhobby, and a slew of Chinese servo makers AGFRC being one (some which I suspect make and rebadge for some of the previous names).... So with the Traxxas VXL ESC, I'm getting 6V to the servo, no matter what battery is plugged in right? So when comparing specs, I should be looking at the speed and torque at 6V of all the various servos, correct? I've noticed especially with the Chinese servos, that 45kg 35kg and 25kg that they show specs at 6v. the 45kg servo has .09sec/60 and 300 in/something, and the 35 is like .12, and 250 something. Is the 45 just a better servo for any application, or is there a point where it is too strong?

Now, I know I want it waterproof after running around in some snow slush mud, and some large puddles form in the lower parts of the yard (one day I'll post a video), and from what I gather a full aluminum shell is better than the aluminium core and plastic top (which has to do with heat dissipation, and durability?). How much of a difference does it actually make real world?

Next... Coreless vs Brushless... Is the difference worth it for a 1/10th scale 2WD offroader?

And I'm pretty much going to have to set limits on the server and some other things as well, right? and that would probably be a lot easier with the Traxxas link module, or would you not be able to use it because it is not a Traxxas servo?

"Metal Gears" does not necessarily mean steel... how bad is brass, or other metals?

I think that's all my questions... for now LOL

Welcome to RCT.. WOW reading all that my heads spinning and hurts.. 🤣🤣. If your running 6v. And don't have ability to adjust then yes only need to look at 6v specs.. I would go with Savox hands down.. digital metal gear all bearings w/p.. torque or speed is up to you. NEVER brass its the softest metal where did you find brass? Wouldn't even think of it.. also aluminum case or plastic aluminum just adds weight to vehicle. I never use aluminum only diff covers or trans. That's it but first rule don't over think it. Keep your options to 2 or 3. Or you will be looking for days.

Personally I’d grab a reefs. Can never go wrong with one of those. Triple 4 or 299. Excellent customer service. They actually answer when you can. American owned and made. Have all the gear replacement kits if you need those in the future. I own close to 20 reefs servos. Never had a issue. Check out the website.

its always best to use a servo saver the stock traxxas is not the best but there are some on the market that will do the job better if its stock steering rack you will have slop.id got something in the 35kg + id go coreless(just my choice).steel is always best and just cause a servo has a .06 dont mean your radio gear has that rate (ok to run ) no need to pay 100$ on a servo I stopped paying those prices in the 90's when internet buy sell came about.id check amazon for a servo make sure you buy a universal servo horn that will work with any servo spline #..

Back