Funny Car traction

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgbdwlf2500

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anybody out there have any tips for getting this car to stick to pavement. I've got a freshly paved street right by my apartment and it just won't hook. Now I know any kind of dirt and gravel don't help but it just blows the tires away. Using the traction control helps but all it does is get it rolling and then it goes wot. By that time tho its rolled a long way. I can do a burnout to try to help but it doesn't do much good. I bought some traction compound to try and tried it. It didn't help much but I also didn't let it soak the tires for very long so I'm back inside letting them soak. Setup is the stock castle 2400kv with a 3s lipo. I'm beginning to think I may have to use a 2s. Gearing is 14/68 but its a direct drive. I put a 19 tooth in it and you can tell that makes the wheels turn a lot faster so I went back to stock. Anybody got any ideas? Tire choice is none right now as far as I know.

grape soda helps on hot days.. there is a compound.. think its vht lemme look

here is some info on vht I know you can buy it in many places.. check your LHS too

VHT Info

also I have heard of some people making their own.. sauce is what most call it. I know its petroleum and alcohol based, but can't get any specifics. I had been thinking of trying diluting rubber cement with alcohol to achieve better traction, but haven't had enough tack trim to even start testing any of it out.

Last edited:
So the theory is to soften the rubber, which makes sense. I have a feeling that's basically what the traction compound I bought today does. The tires seem a little hard but after spinning them stuff definitely sticks to them except the road. I just want one good, solid launch so I can go from there. I'm hoping the summer heat may help with the road conditions.

What tires you running? Traxxas funny car? XO-1 tires?

I use nitro fuel to soften the rubber on the XO-1 tires (same tire the funny car uses), just a light wipe with a rag and let sit overnight. Traction is increased considerably.

Its the funny car rears...the Goodyear ones.

After letting it sit overnight with the traction compound and adding more at lunch time it helped but it still spins. I guess getting it to hook may be near impossible. Once it spins it slides sideways and gets hard to control since its not very wide. Its very quick tho and makes hardly any noise.

Most of the racers that I know use the traction compound on their tires and use "grape juice" (as mentioned above) on the race course after blowing the loose debris off of the track. One of the things that the guys that race have used is a generic grape soda sprayed on with a lawn air-type sprayer (the type used to spray on insecticides).

well it seems that you have tried doing anything and everything you could think of when it comes to the car and its setup... what about preping the surface what have you tried doing to the pavement? Locally the clay is loamy to we dust it off with a leaf blower between races to raise traction. I have also read about putting down sodas with a high content of sugar. like grapes soda.. or original sunkist orange. for that you would blow off the surface first then use a spray bottle to put a nice mist on the ground that will evap and should leave it sticky.

Also when it comes to traction on surfaces tires is 80-90% of the game. you may want to see what other tires work, and see if you can get a softer tire as it will bite better.

Back