First crack with dye!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazzyRazz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
My 16yr old started his millwright apprenticeship about 4 months ago. He switch his classes around so he could leave school at 2 and work till 5. This summer he has been working his butt off so he treated himself. Our first time dying a chassis and it turned out awesome!
66BBA20E-48AA-4467-B33A-5B8BDB18B015.jpeg
05F219DB-B69C-4300-868A-4B44578530CA.jpeg
202523F6-840F-430B-B298-EE42489E866B.jpeg
AD047E55-33E9-4927-9D2B-A4EEB0094D0E.jpeg

The nylon cage on the Ryft takes dye really well. We two-toned ours. That blue looks awesome! Enjoy the build! One of my all time favorite builds for sure. And that is saying a lot!

Oh, and if you do the two-speed, make sure you get the shift fork the correct way. It doesn't show it AT ALL in the manual that it has a counterbore on one side that the shift arm screws into. If you put it in the wrong side, it won't shift correctly. No idea how I missed that counterbore when I assembled it, but after disassembling the transmission 3 times, it finally caught my eye. One of my most frustrating blunders that would not have happened if the manual correctly identified that as a part that could be assembled wrong.

Sneak peek...
20220322_003054.jpg

Oh, and there is an error in the manual pertaining to the hood panel screws. It says the screws are all the ssme, but there are two bigger ones that I assumed went in the back of that panel.
20220731_233135.jpg

Last edited:
The nylon cage on the Ryft takes dye really well. We two-toned ours. That blue looks awesome! Enjoy the build! One of my all time favorite builds for sure. And that is saying a lot!

Oh, and if you do the two-speed, make sure you get the shift fork the correct way. It doesn't show it AT ALL in the manual that it has a counterbore on one side that the shift arm screws into. If you put it in the wrong side, it won't shift correctly. No idea how I missed that counterbore when I assembled it, but after disassembling the transmission 3 times, it finally caught my eye. One of my most frustrating blunders that would not have happened if the manual correctly identified that as a part that could be assembled wrong.

Sneak peek...
View attachment 149940

Oh, and there is an error in the manual pertaining to the hood panel screws. It says the screws are all the ssme, but there are two bigger ones that I assumed went in the back of that panel.
View attachment 149941
Looks awesome! Thanks for the heads up, the same thing I went through installing the DIG on my Spawn. The dog bone is offset and i missed it initially. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Looks awesome! Thanks for the heads up, the same thing I went through installing the DIG on my Spawn. The dog bone is offset and i missed it initially. I look forward to seeing your finished product.
Oh, it's finished. See first pic. There is a build thread in the crawler forum, and we uploaded a video series on the YT channel.

My 16yr old started his millwright apprenticeship about 4 months ago. He switch his classes around so he could leave school at 2 and work till 5. This summer he has been working his butt off so he treated himself. Our first time dying a chassis and it turned out awesome!View attachment 149914View attachment 149915View attachment 149917View attachment 149916

what is this ?

can you change color to plastic ?
never seen before.

Is this strong ? will i last and handle scrape/crashes also ?

How do you do this ? what color is needed ?

what is this ?

never seen before.

The dye just penetrates a little way into the plastic, so scrapes will show the original plastic color, just like paint does, but it is easy to redye the scrapes.

The best dye to use is Rit Dye More, but the regular Rit dye works as well.

@WickedFog is rite. But you can add a few layers of clear coat. To the parts. To help with the scrapes. If you wanted after they dry completely

what is this ?

never seen before.

We used Rit dye which you can get from a fabric store. Basically just boil water with the dye in it and then soak the parts you want done in it. Adjust the amount of dye to water for the tone you want. One thing is you can not go lighter always darker so gotta keep that in mind.

I wonder if you can bleach them white again to re dye. Might weakn the plastic though but I have no idea lol

We used Rit dye which you can get from a fabric store. Basically just boil water with the dye in it and then soak the parts you want done in it. Adjust the amount of dye to water for the tone you want. One thing is you can not go lighter always darker so gotta keep that in mind.

I wonder if you can bleach them white again to re dye. Might weakn the plastic though but I have no idea lol
Best way to get parts white. Us in a hydrogen peroxide bath.. I got 20yr old white arms white again
You can get the dir at Walmart, target, any craft store. Think we all have used it at some point haha.. the rit more. Is just a little stronger die. Then the regular rit die..

Best way to get parts white. Us in a hydrogen peroxide bath.. I got 20yr old white arms white again
You can get the dir at Walmart, target, any craft store. Think we all have used it at some point haha.. the rit more. Is just a little stronger die. Then the regular rit die..
Ah yes I use that for whitening skulls when I do European mounts. Didnt even think of that one.

what about matte clear coat ? anyone try this ?
4-6 coats matte clear coat 2component is strong i think, expensive, could anyways be worth it ?

I love green

i dont understund why Axial have not make Green cage.
Axial is about green, their logo also.

Last edited:
what about matte clear coat ? anyone try this ?
4-6 coats matte clear coat 2component is strong i think, expensive, could anyways be worth it ?

I love green

i dont understund why Axial have not make Green cage.
Axial is about green, their logo also.
Because you can dye it green if you want, builder kit options I'm thinking.

My son sent me some pictures while I am away and he has it all buttoned up. Came out really sweet I can’t wait to see it in person.
60DB00AE-17FB-4ED4-BDC2-A4176A6D3832.jpeg
078E428F-38E1-48FC-9F29-DAB0096AF9F2.jpeg

Last edited: