First buggy shell - advice please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niggle

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I need to replace the bodyshell on one of my 1/8 buggies and I am going to attempt to paint one myself. A few questions spring to mind:-

1. Should I trim the body before painting? I need to cut out for access to the fuel tank lid, cooling head, body mount holes, exhaust stinger and around the front shock tower.

2. I'm by no means artistic/creative so I'm going to base my paintjob on an existing design -specifically the West Mercedes McLaren F1 team colours. Predominantly black metallic fading into pearl white through silver. My question is what colour should I use for backing/sealing the paint? I'm thinking that I should do the black first, then the white and finally the silver.

3. I bought a very cheap unbranded shell with no window masks. What is the best thing to use for paint masks for large areas such as windows?

Thanks,

niggle.

Last edited:
I always cut my bodies out before painting. You can line everything up perfectly while it is still clear.

For the masking use 3m blue painters tape, leaves nice clean edges and removes clean with no residue.

Always work from dark to light, do your black first then the silver then the white. I back almost all my paint jobs with silver.

NCNitro said:
I always cut my bodies out before painting. You can line everything up perfectly while it is still clear.

For the masking use 3m blue painters tape, leaves nice clean edges and removes clean with no residue.

Always work from dark to light, do your black first then the silver then the white. I back almost all my paint jobs with silver.

Thanks for that. I have trimmed the body now and it would have been a nightmare if had been painted, it was difficult enough with the overspray mask on!

Is it advisable to key the inside surface before painting? If so should I use steel wool, a scotch-brite pad or abrasive paper to do this?

You can scuff the inside with 600 grit or a scotch brite for a little extra grip, but its really not necessary as long as the body has been cleaned with dish detergent and water. I'd use a pactra light color for the last coat. It fuel-proofs it, and the light color is easier to clean.

niggle said:
I need to replace the bodyshell on one of my 1/8 buggies and I am going to attempt to paint one myself. A few questions spring to mind:-

1. Should I trim the body before painting? I need to cut out for access to the fuel tank lid, cooling head, body mount holes, exhaust stinger and around the front shock tower.

2. I'm by no means artistic/creative so I'm going to base my paintjob on an existing design -specifically the West Mercedes McLaren F1 team colours. Predominantly black metallic fading into pearl white through silver. My question is what colour should I use for backing/sealing the paint? I'm thinking that I should do the black first, then the white and finally the silver.

3. I bought a very cheap unbranded shell with no window masks. What is the best thing to use for paint masks for large areas such as windows?

Thanks,

niggle.

OK, this didn't turn out as well as I expected for a few reasons:

1. I was hoping to fade the colours by standing the masks off the inside of the shell, thus letting some paint blow unde the egde of the mask. There is too much pressure in the rattle cans for this, the paint doesn't atomise finely enough and I didn't have my masks stood off anywhere near far enough.

2. The low-tack masking tape that I used left no residue but there was quite a bit of bleeding under the edges. Next time I will try the blue 3M painters tape.

3. After four coats of pearlescent white, it was nowhere near opaque so I backed it off with the Indy Silver. Now I have two slightly different shades of silver rather than the silver and white that I was hoping for.

I'm not too bothered. This was my first attempt on a cheap, low-quality shell (appears to be made from a 2nd or 3rd generation mould) and it will be fine for bashing. I do have some more questions though:

Should I have used flat white to back the pearlescent white?
What colour should I use to back darker pearlescent colours such as blue or purple?
Is it feasible to fade from black thru silver into white?
How much width should I allow for the fade zones?
Should I use a mask to do the fades or do them free hand with an airbrush?

I do like the metallic black, especially on a shiny new shell. I'll repair the O-ring seals in my airbrush and try again with some jar paints on a better shell.

I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested, but it is not a pretty sight!

Last edited:
Id like to check it out.. Post up some pics.. Did ya airbrush it or rattle can it?

I also trim mine out before I paint them, but I see in the instructions they paint theres first.. I dont understand why they would, but whatever I guess..lol

wat kind of body was it i would like to know cause I'm just statring to paint and need some inexpensive bodies to paint thanx

4u2nv said:
Id like to check it out.. Post up some pics.. Did ya airbrush it or rattle can it?

Rattle cans.

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

thats really clean i like it a lot

a lot of these bodies are so busy
i really like the that look