Could Use Some Paint Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Looking for some advice/tips on a paint project. I've been having a little difficulty racing my Mini-B because there are a number that are using the same stock body with the same colors. I added some red tape to a few areas to help, but I'm looking to make it more unique so it's easier to pick out in traffic.

Being an Ohio State fan (and alum) I'm going to paint a new body in Buckeye colors. Colors are red/scarlet, gray/silver, black and white.

It's been many years since I've painted a body and even then, I was pretty bad at it!

Not expecting perfection on this one, but do want to at least get close.

So, my question generally is, what order do I paint? The idea is to have most of the body gray/silver with the red/white/black stripe going down the middle. Do I mask off the stripes, paint silver first, then the black, then white and finally red? Or is there a better order/method to use? Also, still the case that you paint the inside of the body? Not sure if methods have changed.

Appreciate the tips!

Buckeyes Helmet.jpg
Losi Mini B Clear Body.jpg

generally you want to paint the darker colors first, only exception is if you use a white backer coat, then you can spray a dark color without bleeding.

If I was painting your scheme, I would paint the red stripe first (back it with white), then the silver, then back the silver with white while also painting the white stripes at the same time and final color being the black stripes

*** VERY important to wash the body with Dawn dishwash detergent to prep before painting.

Also spray paper thin coats so the paint doesn't bubble up on you, 4-5 light coats is better than 2 thick coats... the paint will be transparent, just make sure the spray is even and when you back it with white the colors will pop

generally you want to paint the darker colors first, only exception is if you use a white backer coat, then you can spray a dark color without bleeding.

If I was painting your scheme, I would paint the red stripe first (back it with white), then the silver, then back the silver with white while also painting the white stripes at the same time and final color being the black stripes

*** VERY important to wash the body with Dawn dishwash detergent to prep before painting.

Also spray paper thin coats so the paint doesn't bubble up on you, 4-5 light coats is better than 2 thick coats... the paint will be transparent, just make sure the spray is even and when you back it with white the colors will pop
Cool, thanks for the tips!

If you want nice clean stripes, use vinyl masking tape. You can grab it off Amazon. When spraying, lightly dust the edges of the masking tape with your first coat or two. Never spray towards the tape's edge. Spray straight down on the tape. Let it dry before doing the next coat. This will help keep paint from bleeding under the tape, but with the vinyl tape, this isn't generally a problem as long as you get it stuck good. Any blems, clean up with a q-tip or fix voids with a paint brush before going to your next color.

I would mask the white stripe first. Then use a large strip of tape to cover the red (overlapping the white mask). Regular painters masking tape or Frogtape will work to cover the red, and it will peel up easier without disturbing the white mask. Mask the silver and cover the remainder of the body with paper. Spray the black stripe. Peel the mask over the red, then spray the red. Peel the silver mask and spray it. Note: silver runs easier than other paints, so use light coats. Then remove the white mask and spray the stripes while giving the entire body a white backer. I find it easiest to peel the tape when the paint has just started to tack up. Always hold the body up to a light to check for any blems before painting next color.

This is an example of nice crisp paint lines using vinyl tape
20210827_071917.jpg

Last edited:
Well, didn't come out as I had hoped, but could've been worse as well. Least I'll be able to pick it out of a crowd! Still need to do the wing. Anyone use that liquid mask stuff? These bodies are so small,.it was a bear getting the tape in and to stick well in all the little and crannies on these bodies. Probably should've brush painted. Oh well...hindsight!

20230217_220404.jpg
20230217_220410.jpg

Well, didn't come out as I had hoped, but could've been worse as well. Least I'll be able to pick it out of a crowd! Still need to do the wing. Anyone use that liquid mask stuff? These bodies are so small,.it was a bear getting the tape in and to stick well in all the little and crannies on these bodies. Probably should've brush painted. Oh well...hindsight!

View attachment 160504View attachment 160505
That is where pinstriping tape comes in handy. It's easy to follow the body lines.

Liquid mask works great, but it's not really meant for doing straight lines. It's more for designs that you cut into it after set, and masking difficult areas.

It takes a lot of skill to use liquid mask, I have always cut it too deep which scores the lexan and then the lexan cracks where I scored the lines :(

I will also use a toothpick to scrape away any paint that bleeds on the lines before spraying an overlapping color, though when that happens it's because you sprayed too thick of layers... next time spray more thinner layers from farther away, I bet the nozzle was too close where you want the nozzle as least a foot away.

All together I think it came out decent for your first paint job, you will only get better from here with more experience!

It takes a lot of skill to use liquid mask, I have always cut it too deep which scores the lexan and then the lexan cracks where I scored the lines :(

I will also use a toothpick to scrape away any paint that bleeds on the lines before spraying an overlapping color, though when that happens it's because you sprayed too thick of layers... next time spray more thinner layers from farther away, I bet the nozzle was too close where you want the nozzle as least a foot away.

All together I think it came out decent for your first paint job, you will only get better from here with more experience!
No, I was a good distance away and sprayed many thin layers. I used traditional blue painter and try as I did,.I may not have sealed it up as best as I should.

On another note, this is the first body I've painted with a separate wing. My question on the wing, do I paint from underneath similar to a body or on the top? This is the current wing.
20230218_160837.jpg

No, I was a good distance away and sprayed many thin layers. I used traditional blue painter and try as I did,.I may not have sealed it up as best as I should.

On another note, this is the first body I've painted with a separate wing. My question on the wing, do I paint from underneath similar to a body or on the top? This is the current wing.View attachment 160566
I paint the underside of the wing. That means the outside edges will be exposed to scuffing. But that's what wing side decals are for 😉

I paint the top side for the very reason WF just mentioned
Very easy to to use some clear box tape and cover the outside edges of the wing. I have also used excess decal flashing and cut the wing side shape out, then stuck decals on that and placed it all on at once. Double protection 😉

Very easy to to use some clear box tape and cover the outside edges of the wing. I have also used excess decal flashing and cut the wing side shape out, then stuck decals on that and placed it all on at once. Double protection 😉
You make a good argument sir!

I never paint my lexan wings, I always keep them clear, very rarely do I see anyone paint a wing in my area. Typically they put the protective film on top with the intent to paint the bottom of the wing and if I were to paint a wing then I would reinforce it with E6000 glue to prevent the paint from flaking

I never paint my lexan wings, I always keep them clear, very rarely do I see anyone paint a wing in my area. Typically they put the protective film on top with the intent to paint the bottom of the wing and if I were to paint a wing then I would reinforce it with E6000 glue to prevent the paint from flaking
Yeah, I've seen a lot of them clear. Personally I've only ever had a couple bodies with the separate polycarb wing like that but I decided to paint the top side because it seemed a lot less likely to get scratched up. That being said if its got deep wells where the screws go that can be tricky to paint without putting it on to thick.

Back