Father of Dragons(Bakugan Dragonoid monster truck replica)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

johnnydmd

RCNT Talkaholic
Messages
329
Reaction score
241
oh man... this build just keeps getting better and better even when i didnt think it was possible it could! as always, amazing work!

Thanks man! I keep thinking it's done. It's never done. I'm hoping to get the link mounts done soon, right now trying to get my 3d printer to work correctly with ABS test collar pieces, but keeps messing up. Going to eventually farm them out to get CNC'd, but it's 260 dollars for the four of them, so need to be 100% sure they are the right size.

I was planning on racing it later this month at Diggers Dungeon, even had a trailer lined up to rent to camp there, but other circumstances have sadly gotten in the way. I will be racing in two weeks at a local event though.
 

johnnydmd

RCNT Talkaholic
Messages
329
Reaction score
241
While practicing for the local event (and not even sure this would be the truck I would run, as it's more of a Revo/TMaxx/Savage suited course), had a pretty catastrophic wreck. At about 30 mph or so, hit a major bump that make the rear kick up, and sent it cartwheeling like one of those bad wrecks on Street Outlaws :D Well it sure felt that way anyway. When the dust settled, the truck was right side up(which Mad Force's with aluminum axles are very good at doing because of the weight distrib), but the body was clearly detached. Further examination indicated that 2 of the posts had their plastic pieces pulled out (clearly I didn't have them in the tubes deep enough), and the rear of the body was damaged, from the tabs just ripping completely off. So that was something I really had to rethink.

Redid the body post inserts, and what I really needed to do was lower the body by shortening the straps, it sat entirely too high, and this also got the inserts deeper into the tubes so they wouldn't pop out. As for the rear mounting area, I decided the best solution would to be to print out an insert that would fit inside the tail section, and mount a .060 strip of lexan to that for mounting to the posts. This would not only strengthen and keep the main body preserved better, but also make it easier to swap out the mounting piece.

184590764_10220994288190377_5624252680541850386_n.jpg

Mounting posts compressed deeper, lowering the body . Added foam protection for the body where it will contact the bumper on impact.

183628571_10220994287190352_7233054715558944121_n.jpg

Body mounted, much more snug to chassis - also note in the rear at the tail, the black area near the body mounts is now 3d printed insert inside the body, exposed a bit from where the original tabs tore off some of the tail. I would have made a new body, but this is my "beater" one, and it's still pretty solid overall. The body now has rubber grommets in the holes, and held on with thumbnuts. The grommets keep them from backing off.

I worked on making the new link mounts, and grew frustrated with the trial and error aspects. So I ordered a 3018 CNC router, and designed new ones in CAD. This will be a two piece, aluminum and CF similar to my original concept, but much lighter and cleaner.

184176471_10220994285750316_1190979728752390900_n.jpg

Body now fits much more tightly to chassis.

The other issue was that after the crash, saw that the front driveshaft had come out of the brake cup. We were a little baffled how it could have, as there was no way to get it back in without taking the links off. In retrospect, I realized it probably was that the chassis flexed some, being CF. I *could* add some more bracing, but I think that a wreck like that isn't the norm, and that a little flex probably saved the links from bending.
 

johnnydmd

RCNT Talkaholic
Messages
329
Reaction score
241
On another note, with all of these changes, I weighed the truck - it's at 13.5 lbs, which for what it is, I think is pretty light. I also noted that the Renegades gave me vastly better traction than the Firestorms on a loose, but somewhat sticky dirt track. Any stickier of a track, and I'd have put the Firestorms back on for cornering, as the Renegades definitely didn't give it the drifting ability around turns.

I was racing with a couple of guys running brushless 1/10 trucks - A Maxx and a Granite. On launch they were obviously quicker to around 20 ft, but by 30ft this thing was running over top of them :D, as it got into it's powerband.
 

p0ndo

RCNT Champion
Messages
186
Reaction score
43
Location
AZ
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
On another note, with all of these changes, I weighed the truck - it's at 13.5 lbs, which for what it is, I think is pretty light. I also noted that the Renegades gave me vastly better traction than the Firestorms on a loose, but somewhat sticky dirt track. Any stickier of a track, and I'd have put the Firestorms back on for cornering, as the Renegades definitely didn't give it the drifting ability around turns.

I was racing with a couple of guys running brushless 1/10 trucks - A Maxx and a Granite. On launch they were obviously quicker to around 20 ft, but by 30ft this thing was running over top of them :D, as it got into it's powerband.
Not to brag, but my slash could beat it lol. But good job.
 
Similar threads

Similar threads

Top