Failsafe?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't? How does it know it isn't you on the channel? Maybe I am just not smart enough but I don't get it. Please explain.

I think if there are 2 people using the same freq, there is enough interference from mixed signals that it might engage the fail-safe....... at least intermittently anyway. :shrug:

I think if there are 2 people using the same freq, there is enough interference from mixed signals that it might engage the fail-safe....... at least intermittently anyway. :shrug:

I get that it will engage the failsafe under the conditions you stated, but I never heard that a failsafe won't turn on if someone in on the same frequency. I just don't see how that would be possible. It seems that it would never turn on because someone (you) are always on that frequency. Am I really not getting it???

I get that it will engage the failsafe under the conditions you stated, but I never heard that a failsafe won't turn on if someone in on the same frequency. I just don't see how that would be possible. It seems that it would never turn on because someone (you) are always on that frequency. Am I really not getting it???

Right, I can see that happening as well. I just figured 2 signals on the same freq would cause the RX to glitch and it would engage the failsafe......... not 100% sure on that though.

Right, I can see that happening as well. I just figured 2 signals on the same freq would cause the RX to glitch and it would engage the failsafe......... not 100% sure on that though.

+1 MrClean--that is what the failsafe is supposed to do if there is frequency intermod (mixing of two signals on the same frequency) in addition to shutting down the system due to low or no voltage. Like I said, I didn't know one would keep the system from even turning on in the first place. I just don't think it true, but if I am wrong someone please correct me!

+1 MrClean--that is what the failsafe is supposed to do if there is frequency intermod (mixing of two signals on the same frequency) in addition to shutting down the system due to low or no voltage. Like I said, I didn't know one would keep the system from even turning on in the first place. I just don't think it true, but if I am wrong someone please correct me!

I honestly have no idea if it would allow it to turn on or not. I see where you're coming from now. I know a little bit about AM/FM signals, just not that much and how they apply in this situation. LOL

My impression is as long as the fail safe keeps seeing a smooth interaction of signal it will let everything be. But once it starts seeing conflicting signals such as braking and throttle it would activate. My entire problem with the effectiveness is since the Fail safe is after the RX its not seeing the actual signal more of a rapid fluctuation of the electrical input to the throttle servo. So since 1 signal is smooth except in the event of battery drain where the RX would be fluctuating power to the servo it will activate. Also on that point any other interfering signal would cause changes in the servo signal also so 2 people would defiantly cause a issue. The only time I can't see a fail safe being effective would be if you were WOT almost to the end of your range when Another signal came into the picture also at WOT and you failed to realize a problem before the Car was out of range in this case its at the mercy of other signal.

I know there's a thread somewhere in the basement from 2004, I think, the day after I installed my first fail safe in my Tmaxx. I was at the track, and someone with a powerful buggy turned on the same frequency. While I was trying to figure out why my MT wouldn't move, but was still running, I got slammed on top of the foot with a buggy running FLAT OUT WOT! The pain was intense, and his buggy then hit the bottom of the safety fence where it flipped over and ran at WOT till the engine blew.
I had a failsafe, he did not.
So, same frequency with conflicting commands WILL shut you down to your preset program. Mine was set to return to idle with half brake applied.

I know there's a thread somewhere in the basement from 2004, I think, the day after I installed my first fail safe in my Tmaxx. I was at the track, and someone with a powerful buggy turned on the same frequency. While I was trying to figure out why my MT wouldn't move, but was still running, I got slammed on top of the foot with a buggy running FLAT OUT WOT! The pain was intense, and his buggy then hit the bottom of the safety fence where it flipped over and ran at WOT till the engine blew.
So, same frequency with conflicting commands WILL shut you down to your preset program. Mine was set to return to idle with half brake applied.

I agree but what about the situation i was talking about, am I correct in assuming it would do no good in this situation.

The only time I can't see a fail safe being effective would be if you were WOT almost to the end of your range when Another signal came into the picture also at WOT and you failed to realize a problem before the Car was out of range in this case its at the mercy of other signal.

hence why I am really looking at a 2.4ghz spread spectrum radio system and fail safe. Which would eliminate the crossed signals and low battery issues.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the day that all radio control require a failsafe due to legal/safety issues...

no it wont engadge the brakes cause it thainks it still has freq

Sure, no problem. NOTHING ever breaks on a Tmaxx, so don't worry about it doing a mad runaway at wide open throttle.

If you can run faster than a Tmaxx while holding your transmitter as high above your head as you can, and simultaneously screaming like a little girl, there is no need for you to waste $20 on something as trivial as a fail safe.:hehe:

You were there watching me?

I'm waiting for the day that all radio control require a failsafe due to legal/safety issues...

Especially on a Baja ;)

I know where you are coming from, Rolex, and agree. The whole question came from this post:

the 1 thaing a fail safe will not turn on is when some 1 is on your channel

I just don't get it. Is this possible? It won't turn on? Or am I mis-reading what qaart is trying to say?

Last edited:
If 2 people have their cars running on the same frequency, you might be able to move it when you're standing close to it, but when both frequencies overlap, both cars should go to their fail safe setting. The instant one radio is turned off, the other car will get the proper signal, and the other will ALSO respond to that signal since there is no longer interference. That's why you still need to turn the car off till you have the frequency to yourself.

Sure, no problem. NOTHING ever breaks on a Tmaxx, so don't worry about it doing a mad runaway at wide open throttle.

If you can run faster than a Tmaxx while holding your transmitter as high above your head as you can, and simultaneously screaming like a little girl, there is no need for you to waste $20 on something as trivial as a fail safe.:hehe:

so that was you in the bushes when my old maxx tore up the street and into the neighbors garage!

No joke, I'm lucky as all get out that it didnt do any damage to anything but a bunch of charcoal! I will never run without a failsafe again! and when i figure out how to get one to work with a 2.4 GHz radio, I'm going to have a backup.

After reading this post I went out and bought a fail safe.... NICE!!! it even fit in the compartment that holds the reciever. I never had problems with interference or range but you never know....
So if I understand right ... If someone else turn on a radio with the same freq. it will apply the brake to what I set it?????

You have a 2.4 and you don't have a built in fail safe?
Which one do you have?

it has a built in. i just want to have a dummy on the truck. I like backing up my safety systems.

and its a Nomadio React

the one that crashed was on an old FM junker radio

I tested the idea of 2 radios on the same frequency today. From a close area, it seems if you have 2 radios on with the same crystal the fail safe is activated. Even when I pulled both triggers simotanoiously... I tried and tried and could only get the fail safe to blip once or twice.
So I think the chances of you running WOT till you are at the end of your range and someone else running WOT and continuing your truck to keep going.... well I think it's pretty much a non-factor.
Unless you purposely set out trying to do that! Then I would say 1 out of 100 tries.:D

You just proved the theory that they do what they are intended to do.
In case I haven't mentioned it yet, NEVER run without one.