Best fail safe for tmaxx 3.3 and revo3.3 and nitro rustler 2.5?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamnotsmart

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Looking for a failsafe and I don’t know nothing about them and just wondering which one is the best? That would work for those cars

Do you know that the Traxxas radios have a built in fail-safe?

You can test it out for yourself. Don't start the engine. Turn truck and transmitter on. You'll be able to watch and control the throttle and steering. Now give it full throttle and turn transmitter off. The throttle servo (carburator slide) will go back to idle.

If you lose total battery connection on the truck itself the only thing that can bring it back to neutral is a throttle return spring.

If you are looking for something that shuts off fuel in case of a fail-safe, the only one I know of is the Bumble Bee from Killer RC. But not sure what's going on with them as there was a recent post talking how they were unresponsive to orders and communications.

Do you know that the Traxxas radios have a built in fail-safe?

You can test it out for yourself. Don't start the engine. Turn truck and transmitter on. You'll be able to watch and control the throttle and steering. Now give it full throttle and turn transmitter off. The throttle servo (carburator slide) will go back to idle.

If you lose total battery connection on the truck itself the only thing that can bring it back to neutral is a throttle return spring.

If you are looking for something that shuts off fuel in case of a fail-safe, the only one I know of is the Bumble Bee from Killer RC. But not sure what's going on with them as there was a recent post talking how they were unresponsive to orders and communications.
Don’t the Traxxas ones suck because it hasn’t done me any good and even with the older Traxxas does it have it bc my tmaxx has the old Traxxas remote if ur car has a runaway what can make it so it shuts off is there nothing for that?

Sorry. I should have clarified better. The newer 2.4Ghz TQ and TQI have it.

If using the Opti-drive system I have seen the Fail-safe fail to work properly. This is why I have always recommended to remove or bypass them.

Like I mentioned above, test it out without the engine started. You can do it right inside your home with the truck sitting on a bench or table. This will show you that there is a fail-safe.

Sorry. I should have clarified better. The newer 2.4Ghz TQ and TQI have it.

If using the Opti-drive system I have seen the Fail-safe fail to work properly. This is why I have always recommended to remove or bypass them.
I mostly just need fail safe for my nitro rustler 2.5 it’s having issues where it’s running off
I mostly just need fail safe for my nitro rustler 2.5 it’s having issues where it’s running off
My tmaxx 3.3 is really old has a dynamite .19 engine

Have you checked that there isn't any binding on your Rustler that makes the throttle stick?

Have you checked that there isn't any binding on your Rustler that makes the throttle stick?
There isn’t I was running it and out of nowhere I started losing connection. And then turned it back on and it took off

There isn’t I was running it and out of nowhere I started losing connection. And then turned it back on and it took off
Did you check throttle before turning it back on, like when you do an initial startup check?

Also if you are low on fuel or running out it can cause the engine to lean out and climb in RPM's, which can make the truck seem like it's taking off uncontrollable.
(A hole in exhaust coupler can cause similar)

Did you check throttle before turning it back on, like when you do an initial startup check?

Also if you are low on fuel or running out it can cause the engine to lean out and climb in RPM's, which can make the truck seem like it's taking off uncontrollable.
(A hole in exhaust coupler can cause similar)
I was good on fuel and stuff and yes I did it happened out of nowhere after my reciever was cutting out and my reciever was blinking red but I think I accidentally put the stuff back in the wrong things that’s why I’m gonna check if it happens again later just wanna waterproof my reciver bc there’s no box so it gets wet easily

I was having problems with my newest model tmaxx not responding to the radio and it finally ran off. It was the TQI model. I re-bonded it, changed batteries. Upgraded to the rechargeable battery pack for the steering. Basically, I tried everything. It didn’t work. I bought a new receiver/transmitter combo and installed it. It’s done fine ever since then.

I don’t know one way or the other about Traxxas fail safe sucking. What I do know is you now know how to check and see if it works if you upgrade to the new TQ systems. And, I’d form my own opinions on what sucks and doesn’t. The RC world is just like everything else. You don’t always get facts when people talk. You get their bias’s.

I was having problems with my newest model tmaxx not responding to the radio and it finally ran off. It was the TQI model. I re-bonded it, changed batteries. Upgraded to the rechargeable battery pack for the steering. Basically, I tried everything. It didn’t work. I bought a new receiver/transmitter combo and installed it. It’s done fine ever since then.

I don’t know one way or the other about Traxxas fail safe sucking. What I do know is you now know how to check and see if it works if you upgrade to the new TQ systems. And, I’d form my own opinions on what sucks and doesn’t. The RC world is just like everything else. You don’t always get facts when people talk. You get their bias’s.
Do you know why my new revo 3.3 has a wobble? At high speedw
Do you know why my new revo 3.3 has a wobble? At high speedw
With wheels

It sounds like you’ve got a problem with the tsm. Which is likely linked to the receiver issue.

I’d buy a new receiver and give it a whirl. I think it’ll fix it.

It’s a brand new car and remote so can’t I just turn tms off on my remote or app link
It sounds like you’ve got a problem with the tsm. Which is likely linked to the receiver issue.

I’d buy a new receiver and give it a whirl. I think it’ll fix it

I’d buy a new receiver and give it a whirl. I think it’ll fix it.
Can’t I just get Traxxas to send me a new one somehow doubt it tho

If it’s brand new and indeed messed up, I’d call Traxxas. Quite frankly, at this point I’m confused. Probably my fault but, I thought the tmaxx was older.

Anyways, if a new one is messed up, you know what to do. Call. If it’s an older one is messed up, you’ve been instructed where to start fixing it.

I’m not being a wise guy. But, if you don’t commit to learning how your nitro rc works and how to work on them, you might should put them aside until you are ready to do so.

These aren’t plug and play type toys. A nitro RC is going to require a willingness to figure them out.

It can be frustrating. And, the people on this forum are very knowledgeable. Help them help you by gaining enough knowledge of terminology and how your cars operate to be able to explain the questions and concerns you have.

If it’s brand new and indeed messed up, I’d call Traxxas. Quite frankly, at this point I’m confused. Probably my fault but, I thought the tmaxx was older.

Anyways, if a new one is messed up, you know what to do. Call. If it’s an older one is messed up, you’ve been instructed where to start fixing it.

I’m not being a wise guy. But, if you don’t commit to learning how your nitro rc works and how to work on them, you might should put them aside until you are ready to do so.

These aren’t plug and play type toys. A nitro RC is going to require a willingness to figure them out.

It can be frustrating. And, the people on this forum are very knowledgeable. Help them help you by gaining enough knowledge of terminology and how your cars operate to be able to explain the questions and concerns you have.
No sorry I’m saying the revo 3.3 my tmaxx 3.3 doesn’t have any of the cool features like this

If you have TSM try turning it off. Should be able to by turning the multi-function knob to zero.
Check your tires, they could be out of balance. Could have water or sand in them.
Also check your alignment. I prefer toe-in because I drive across an open area. Toe-out is more for turning on a tight track and can cause wobble at straight line running.