EZ-Peak Plus Dual OVERHEATING

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eMonlger2.0

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
i have a NEW EZ-Peak Plus 100 watt Dual ID charger, i have charged my 2 sets of 3's and 2's batteries about 15 times now and i now am getting (not every time) a over heat warning 3 blinking lights when i am putting them into storage mode from a depleted state. I do not get this when i charge them (always do it balanced at 4 amps. I have tried storing them at 3 amps and 2 amps but they time out at anything less than 4, OBVIOUSLY.
I tried useing a more powerfull 40mm fan and it definatly pushed a ton of air though it but it STILL overheated, so far its ONLY been the left side that does this. i have not tried swapping batteries but it does this on different sets so i think its the charger, one set is new, the other 3's is old.
Is this a common issue? do i have a lemon?
I took it apart and all the parts seem fine and still properly attached tot he 2 aluminum coolers.
its not every time, but its almost every time!

Is the unit bringing voltages down to storage voltage? Discharging is hard on the components inside from converting energy into heat. That's my gut feeling of what's going on.

Last edited:
contact whom ever you purchased from for return

Make sure there isn't something wrong with the charge lead. If your using the same lead on that side every time, it could be the culprit.

I've noticed that most of the lead sets provided with the chargers are pretty poor quality. Weak solder joints usually. You can check voltage drop during charging with a DMM.

Not familiar with this particular charger but curious if the warning is coming from internal temps of the charger or is it using an temp probe on the battery indicating that the battery temp is overheating?

Is the unit bringing voltages down to storage voltage? Discharging is hard on the components inside from converting energy into heat. That's my gut feeling of what's going on.
No
Like I said its during charging a battery from a fully discharged state from running... well not fully discharged, just at whatever ot is when the car stops running.
I never discharge batteries, I run them if there charged.
I put them into storage mode and then this overheat issue happens. Usually not when it's doing a balanced charge.
Not familiar with this particular charger but curious if the warning is coming from internal temps of the charger or is it using an temp probe on the battery indicating that the battery temp is overheating?
The manual says it's in the charger.

Last edited:
so it is from discharge.
no... SERIOUSLY?
you can put a battery into storage mode after you deplete its charge from running it. its CHARGING it up to its storage state
it is VERY frustrating if people who do not understand or do not know, reply. thanks for the input but please understand. i know I'm not great at explaining things but i thought it was clear that i am charging the battery, not discharging!
FWIW, i have discharged a few batteries before with this and it never happened then. ONLY when putting a battery into storage and it goes into over heat right at the end. its not every time but its often enough that it makes me thing something might be wrong

Just curious if there is anything in the manual which says the batteries must have a chance to cool down between last use and the next charge/storage mode cycle?

I believe Traxxas is probably trying to put extra precautions on their equipment and I wonder if your problem may go away after the battery has a chance to "cool down" for a bit, then you can put a charge back on the battery?

I'm not a fan of Traxxas products for reasons explained here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067295-Boycott-Traxxas

Though I would find it frustrating to have this limitation as I prefer to have warm packs which improves performance by reducing the IR, more info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3496127-Which-charger-is-the-best

Note that "IR boosting" will cause the battery to degrade faster and I'm thinking that's what Traxxas may be trying to mitigate with their design which is very limiting not only to performance, but general use. The long term damage they are trying to protect you from is negligible in my opinion.

Best of Luck!

*** UPDATE ***

After further investigation, I found the manual for the charger and I can see it has nothing to do with the battery temp, I suspect your charger is just being overworked from charging batteries back to back or just a larger capacity battery than the charger can handle.

Either case the charger is not meeting your needs and I would consider upgrading to a higher quality brand if you want to avoid this limitation.

1688927397803.png

FWIW... I used to be a Traxxas Fanboi for many years, but over time I would grow to appreciate race grade brands instead for having significantly more durable platforms and far higher quality components that would stand the test of time across the board from plastics, to electronics as well.

Last edited:
as i said BEFORE, 3 blinking lights. NOT The top of that, but the bottom one... INTERNAL charger temperature is TOO high.
the thing is, i have charged 3 full sets back to back the charger gets toasty for sure but not HOT. but if just do storage mode it does this.
The batteries are not more than warm when i charge or store them too. i usually let them cool down and run a freshly charged set before i store them or charge them up again.
for my needs, this charger fits the bill. i wish i had gone with a better one some times.
Also when i turn it off and back on again and reattempt the storage mode, it basically had the one that stopped like90% charged.
also, I'm stuck with it or replacing it as is. I got it on amazon... i know... and am past the return window.

Last edited:
Welp, one thing I say, Thats traxxas for ya. Well, and actually 2 things, O-M-G

Get a better quality charger. Traxxas has way to much problems, and are whacky, very tricky to figure out when there is a problem.
I know Traxxas's marketing scheme. I hate it, i don't follow it. Got a list of reasons why, and @bill_delong and most other people can agree with me.

List of chargers I will recommend:
Hota D6 Pro
SkyRC T200
HiTec X2
HiTec RDX2 1000/ SkyRC T1000 (same charger, just different brands)
gensacearespammers D300
Junsi iCharger/s

Most of these chargers either have 4mm bullet or XT60 as an input so you will need 4mm bullet, or XT60 to what ever you are using on your battery.

Warning: Do not charge Traxxas ID Lipos on these chargers.
Well actually, I found a post on Reddit the other day, the guy made a crazy adapter so he can charge his Traxxas lipos with a non traxxas charger, but I wouldn't recommend to do, what he did. Nvm because the post was deleted.

Aside from pointless posts and memes

Is it possible that just being in a warm area could cause this?
I think Its not an issue during charging.
It's an issue that I leave them connected over night and the area that this is at is not air conditioned. My garage. It gets toasty in there. Is it possible that just idle it could get too hot in a warm garage and go into this lockout mode?
I say this because the batteries were at full storage charge when I came out today but it was locked out from overheating.
I'm not sure if any of you care about this enough to look past your hate for traxxas. I know why you all do and I disagree.

For a bunch of people who clearly are clueless to the workings of this charger offering little to no advice other than buy a different chinisium pos and the "we all hate traxxas" trolls...
Sure seems like a waste of time here.
What temp does the lock out happen?
For a hobbiest group, fixing a few capacitors or useing bigger fan or better thermal options... nothing usefull was really said here.
I was hoping for an expert to chime in with some wisdom but if you just want to make fun of a newb... I'm outa here

I'm outa here
C ya later.
What temp does the lock out happen?
Thats a traxxas support question.
This is why I hate traxxas stuff. Its whacky and very hard and tricky to figure out things.
For a hobbiest group, fixing a few capacitors or useing bigger fan or better thermal options.
True. Or charge in a cool and dry place. Not a hot and moist garage.
I was hoping for an expert to chime in with some wisdom but if you just want to make fun of a newb...
I'm trying to help. Not an expert but I'm somewhat at that level.

I think the actuall issue is it sitting idle. The fan ramps down to basically nothing and if there is no air movment then it could and anytjing else could easily over heat.
I tested this today. I left it plugged in with batteries on it that were already charged. Left it just idle garage did not get past 78* F today and it still locked out. But I then ran all 3 sets of my batteries and charged them all back to back all the way from depleted to full charge and ran them again and then put them into storage mode. Nothing happend but just now I checked on it and it was locked out from overheating doing nothing.
I think wiring the fan or putting a better one is solves this issue. I'll update this when I sort it out for others as I could not find this issue solved. Maybe this place is not good for helping others but I feel I want to and expect the same.
And I do not consider a 80* colorado dry air to be an issue for anytjing traxxas or not.

For reference, my T200 does the same thing. The fan turns on when charging a battery, and it goes off when there is no battery charging or the charge / discharge cycle is over. I charge in my basement which is very cool and dry, and at the track which is cool, and dry. My charger temp cutoff is selectable and I think i have it set at 122 F. But I seen it go higher, no problem (charge leads are rated up to 125 F and do just fine)

And also, your saying you leave the batteries plugged in when the cycle is done? I never leave batteries plugged in.
Also, when I am done using my charger, i always unplug it. I only leave it on idle or plugged in and on at the track so I can quickly put my battery back on charge for the next heat or main.
With my charger on idle, fan never kicks on, and never cuts off or locks off due to temp as it is always below 80 F inside the charger (i don't have a external temp sensor)

It's unfortunate you feel that we're attacking you... it can be difficult to provide constructive criticism without being brutally honest.

I will only speak for myself, I've been personally burned by Traxxas and I find it sad that you're quick to defend Traxxas when they have clearly left you disappointed as well, I will just leave it at face value without any personal attacks... it's not you that I'm attacking, it's Traxxas that has created all the dissent in the industry. Traxxas has isolated themselves by making all their products incompatible with industry standards as well as suing anyone who improves the piss poor quality of their designs.

Anyway, there's not much you can do if you choose to keep a poor quality product.

Next best thing is to move the charger indoors away from the heat in the garage, run a box fan behind it and just maybe you might be fortunate enough with your low quality investment which you undoubtedly paid a top dollar price for :(

Sooner or later you may come to the realization of what Traxxas really is.

-Godspeed

Last edited:
It's unfortunate you feel that we're attacking you... it can be difficult to provide constructive criticism without being brutally honest.

I will only speak for myself, I've been personally burned by Traxxas and I find it sad that you're quick to defend Traxxas when they have clearly left you disappointed as well, I will just leave it at face value without any personal attacks... it's not you that I'm attacking, it's Traxxas that has created all the dissent in the industry. Traxxas has isolated themselves by making all their products incompatible with industry standards as well as suing anyone who improves the piss poor quality of their designs.

Anyway, there's not much you can do if you choose to keep a poor quality product.

Next best thing is to move the charger indoors away from the heat in the garage, run a box fan behind it and just maybe you might be fortunate enough with your low quality investment which you undoubtedly paid a top dollar price for :(

Sooner or later you will come to the realization of what Traxxas really is.

-Godspeed
This ^^^^

Back