Esc up in smoke

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So my brand new sketers esc went up in smoke. Long story short, i never tested it new out of box as i don't have any xt90 plugged batteries. So tonight i soldered on ec5 plugs with a jumper as i don't have any single 4s packs. Only have 2s 3s and 6s. Got every thing done and plugged in a 2s lipo. Esc turned on as it should counted the cells then smoke came out and shorted. Every thing was good on my end. Hopfully corally will help, but i wont be supprised if they don't. Pretty bumbed wanted to run it tmr

My new Stampede 4x4 had a defective esc. I spent 2 weeks customizing it, then hit the road. I had plugged in a battery to make sure it powered on before starting the work. I hit the road with a 3s lipo and drove 3 houses away before I saw smoke illuminated by the headlites. Fortunately, the dealer processed a warranty for the motor/esc, and I didn't have to return the whole vehicle.

So my brand new sketers esc went up in smoke. Long story short, i never tested it new out of box as i don't have any xt90 plugged batteries. So tonight i soldered on ec5 plugs with a jumper as i don't have any single 4s packs. Only have 2s 3s and 6s. Got every thing done and plugged in a 2s lipo. Esc turned on as it should counted the cells then smoke came out and shorted. Every thing was good on my end. Hopfully corally will help, but i wont be supprised if they don't. Pretty bumbed wanted to run it tmr
They should warranty replace it. Huge bummer tho :(

*Side Note*
I was looking at the Sketers electronics because I'm not overly familair with Corally rigs and I found it odd that the motor limit specs for the ESC indicated 1/10 scale motors (3656) but the rig comes with an 1/8 scale (4068) size motor in it. 🤔

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
They should warranty replace it. Huge bummer tho :(

*Side Note*
I was looking at the Sketers electronics because I'm not overly familair with Corally rigs and I found it odd that the motor limit specs for the ESC indicated 1/10 scale motors (3656) but the rig comes with an 1/8 scale (4068) size motor in it. 🤔

View attachment 159199
I'm worried they wont because i altered the esc. Yes it has an 1/8 scale motor, 5mm shaft mod1 gear pitch. All the diffs are the same as there 6s line. Alot of people put 6s esc in them

I'm worried they wont because i altered the esc. Yes it has an 1/8 scale motor, 5mm shaft mod1 gear pitch. All the diffs are the same as there 6s line. Alot of people put 6s esc in them
The puzzling part to me is that the ESC isnt rated for 1/8 scale motors according to their website.

Its a 1/10 scale rig, a tad bigger than my bigrock. But its 1/8th scale componets. Maybe thats how they are getting by?they are also not geared nearly as aggressive as the 6s line

Riddle me this batman. Took the cover off the esc couldnt find nothing wrong. Smelt a little burnt but not bad. Put it back to gether and plugged it in. Now it works, put it back in the car. Calibrated every thing and it acts as if nothing happened. I know it shorted out because i had smoke and my battery cables got hot. Think i should keep my claim in with corally? Not sure how long this thing will last.

Something happened to begin with so I would keep the claim in.
It could happen again.

Last edited:
Hrp says my warranty claim is approved.. but i need to pay to mail back the esc. So between paying to mail it back then waiting 2 weeks or more by time they get it do the claim and send the new one. I might just buy a new one and by pass the hassle

Hrp says my warranty claim is approved.. but i need to pay to mail back the esc. So between paying to mail it back then waiting 2 weeks or more by time they get it do the claim and send the new one. I might just buy a new one and by pass the hassle
Id buy a new better ESC and still get the warranty replacement to use in something else or to resell. :2cents:

Mehhh , id rather just run this one now that for some reason it works, till it dies then just buy new. Not worth the effort to me to deal with the bs

Id buy a new better ESC and still get the warranty replacement to use in something else or to resell. :2cents:

Went to run the truck. Lasted about 3 minutes. It would get about 100ft from me and stop like its lost signal. Walk up to it and it would go again. Did that about 4 times then stopped and wont go. Still have steering, but no throttle. Esc flashes 3 green stops then 3 green over and over. can't calibrate it think ahe is done

There should be a troubleshooting guide in the manual telling you what the lights mean.

Says thermal protection. But can't get it to clear. When i try to enter program mode, the esc just beeps nonstop, can't get it to stop unless i shut off

Can you do a factory reset? It does sound like it's toast.

Its toast. Program card wont even turn on. When i try a factory reset, the green light just continues to blink. Nothing happenes.

Current state. Going through the diffs while its down. Hardly any oil in them

IMG_20230205_174414758.jpg

Gotta love the penny pinching mentality of RTR RC manufacturers 😜

Back