erevo vxl servo debate

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19frank90

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everyone, so my first stock servo ended up shorting out or whatever (gave me the flashing light of death). Traxxas replaced it and the replacement stripped a few teeth off of one of the gears.

So I went to the store and bought a Hitech HS-85 servo with metal gears to put in. Before I did that i decided to open both stock Traxxas 2080 gears and put all the gears that were still in proper condition in the newer servo housing. Put the car back together and it works fine.

My debate now is whether to keep the HS-85 or return it. I've read a lot of people saying the stock ones always break and I figure $3 for the gear set is cheaper than a $30 hitech servo.

What do you fellow MERV owners (and everyone else) think?

Thanks

My stock servo did the same thing, went to the HS-85MG and haven't had an issue in over a year of bashing the crap out of it. Keep the HS85, you'll be glad you did. I've cart wheeled it, end over end, you name it and Hi Tec just comes back for more.

Hey HPIguy, so I installed the HS-85MG in the MERV and when I turn the radio to go left, the car goes right (and vice versa). Figured it'd be a quick fix just turn the servo around and it'll work properly but it still turns the opposite way I turn the control.

I"ve read before people saying the HS-85 is an analog servo whereas the Traxxas 2.4ghz transmitter is digital. Does that have something to do with my problem or is it maybe just a bum servo?

Back