Epx model issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5trikeSwiftly

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Very new RC enthusiast here, very noob questions coming so beware.
So I purchased a used Volcano epx brushed a few weeks ago, the first thing I wanted to try and upgrade was to a 2s lipo battery.
After ordering a Goldbat battery, I snipped the Deans plug off the lipo and wired in the banana clip... red to red, black to black.

So heres my first mistake comes in, I did not move what looks like the small fuse over from the Nimh setting to the lipo setting before I plugged the battery in for the first time..
I plugged the lipo in with the fuse or whatever that small plastic piece is still in the Nimh position and once the metal hit the car came alive in full throttle mode, esc was off and controller was off.
Did some research and fixed the fuse into the lipo spot - same result
I attempted to reverse the polarity on the engine wiring and still the same responce when battery was plugged in.
Now, remember I'm super noob here. I noticed the wiring harness going from the esc to the battery had the black from the esc going to the red of the battery and red to black.
So I like a knewbert swapped the polarity on the battery, plugged it in and with in a few moments my esc was smoking..
What the heck did I do? The esc still works, I put the Nimh back in and it ran but the thing smells like bon fire ash.
I don't mind upgrading to a brushless combo, I'm very cool with it but I would dang sure like to know where I messed up with that lipo before I start working on it anymore!

Thanks and please keep the flamage down, I did willfully admit to knewbness.

Hey folks,

Very new RC enthusiast here, very noob questions coming so beware.
So I purchased a used Volcano epx brushed a few weeks ago, the first thing I wanted to try and upgrade was to a 2s lipo battery.
After ordering a Goldbat battery, I snipped the Deans plug off the lipo and wired in the banana clip... red to red, black to black.

So heres my first mistake comes in, I did not move what looks like the small fuse over from the Nimh setting to the lipo setting before I plugged the battery in for the first time..
I plugged the lipo in with the fuse or whatever that small plastic piece is still in the Nimh position and once the metal hit the car came alive in full throttle mode, esc was off and controller was off.
Did some research and fixed the fuse into the lipo spot - same result
I attempted to reverse the polarity on the engine wiring and still the same responce when battery was plugged in.
Now, remember I'm super noob here. I noticed the wiring harness going from the esc to the battery had the black from the esc going to the red of the battery and red to black.
So I like a knewbert swapped the polarity on the battery, plugged it in and with in a few moments my esc was smoking..
What the heck did I do? The esc still works, I put the Nimh back in and it ran but the thing smells like bon fire ash.
I don't mind upgrading to a brushless combo, I'm very cool with it but I would dang sure like to know where I messed up with that lipo before I start working on it anymore!

Thanks and please keep the flamage down, I did willfully admit to knewbness.

I ditched the stock ESC a long time ago, but it's good practice to turn on the transmitter before you turn the car on. And you probably cooked either the battery or the ESC. NEVER, reverse battery polarity, I hope that's a learning experience for you. It could have been far worse

I ditched the stock ESC a long time ago, but it's good practice to turn on the transmitter before you turn the car on. And you probably cooked either the battery or the ESC. NEVER, reverse battery polarity, I hope that's a learning experience for you. It could have been far worse

Should the car not have operated normally with the lipo battery?

Back