Emaxx ESC caught fire. Owned by a wounded Marine.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heisenburg

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
Vehicle : 2016 E Maxx, brushless castle creations power, 2X3S lipo batteries.
Driver : US Marine, honourable discharge, wounded/disabled.
Me : Just a buddy trying to allow his friend to enjoy RC hobby.
So I picked up my friend's emaxx, turned it on, no indication of power, started unscrewing the receiver box, and all of a sudden, the ESC smoked and burst into flames.
Working on warranty service with Traxxas right now for batteries and if they want to offer any other service.
My question is, do you have a safe recommendation for motor/esc combo that is least likely to explode? He knows nothing about repair and diagnosis.
Thanx.

What @olds97_lss said, or, if the motor is fine, just the ESC (or one of the many other hobbywing based 150A 6s ESCs).

If you're talking about changing the Traxxas ID connectors then you'll have to fashion a balance plug as well.

Can you recommend a good ESC replacement? Or a solder up kit to change the Spektrum ESC connectors to Traxxas style?
Would I be best off to just buy a stock replacement?

Can you recommend a good ESC replacement? Or a solder up kit to change the Spektrum ESC connectors to Traxxas style?
Would I be best off to just buy a stock replacement?
You can buy traxxas connectors to put on the ESC if you want to continue to use them

What do I do with the small wires on the Spektrum ESC? There is no terminal to correspond with the Traxxas connectors

What do I do with the small wires on the Spektrum ESC? There is no terminal to correspond with the Traxxas connectors
What small wires are you referring to? The only small wires on the Spektrum ESC are to the on/off switch and the plug that goes to the receiver which dont need to be changed. Only connectors that need to be changed are on the big battery wires.

Personally Id put a Castle MM2 ESC in it and run Liperior batteries. Or if you do use the Spektrum ESC then just put EC5 connectors on Liperior batteries.

Thanks everyone, from me, and my friend, who is just dying to get back behind the wheel. I will drop your nicknames, maybe even talk him into joining. Who knows, maybe he won't have to bug me so much if he has a room full of brains to pick. Hope I remember to post the pix of the repair, there must be some more Maxxes out there that need an upgrade.

I mean the small gauge wires on the battery supply cables. They have a terminal in the center of the plug.
I'm still unclear on what you're talking about. When you say "battery supply" are you referring to the battery charger? If you're trying to make Traxxas batteries work with a Spektrum battery charger you're going to have to attach those smaller balance wires to the new Traxxas ID plug. The battery is going to have to have a way to be balance charged and Traxxas batteries dont have separate balance plugs on them.

Back