electric rc helicopters

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul11277

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I got my son a syma dragon fly for christmas. Its only 2 channel but great fun. So now i am thinking i might get my self a 3 or channel helicopter. I only want an electric one untill i have learned to fly it. I have been looking at the walkera's either the 5-4 or the 004 or even the 60. But since i am a beginner i am open to suggestions. I dont want a tiny one because i am not to fussed about flying indoors. I have heard mixed reoprts about the walkera brand some saying it used to be good but not anymore. Others say they have allways been good and lots say they have real problems with the servo's. The last comment would make sense because the walkera 60 i was looking at has had all the servos changed for pentium servo's. If you would like to suggest a different manufacturer then please do. I was only looking at walkera because there are plenty of parts available for them in the uk.

go take a look at the Blade CX2 and the Blade CP. they're two of the more popular beginner helicopters around.

I have concerns about the Walkera products. They have had a long history of less-than-stellar quality. Many stories of electronics failing and such. I have an E-sky Belt CP that is very comparable in price to the Walkera's, but better in quality, I feel. It is roughly the size of a T-rex or MX-450. Even some of the parts are interchangeable. It is available in many forms from fully ready-to-fly, to almost-ready-to-fly (you provide the transmitter and receiver) or just a bare-bones bird with no electronics. You will have to provide batteries unless you can find a good combo. I recommend LiPo's for these kind of birds.

I like the look of the blade cx. But i am not sure what the other channels are all for. I know what the basic 3 channels do up/down, left/right and forward/backward but what do the rest do. I dont want anything over complicated but do want something that ones i have learned to fly it i can have some fun with and this looks like the one but is it good for beginners. And i really mean beginners.

i have a rotofly and you can pick them up for about 150$ or so ready to fly. i ahvent flown mine yet but saw a few guys at the lhs playing around and they crashed them a few times. parts popped off, but snap them back on and go again. seemed pretty durable

in the helis you got the throttle for the main rotor, you got forward and back tilt on the main rotar, left and right pitch on the main rotor, tail rotor speed, and on some models, main rotor pitch.

thats 5 channels

I like the look of the blade cx. But i am not sure what the other channels are all for. I know what the basic 3 channels do up/down, left/right and forward/backward but what do the rest do. I dont want anything over complicated but do want something that ones i have learned to fly it i can have some fun with and this looks like the one but is it good for beginners. And i really mean beginners.

I have the Blade CX and it is fun to fly for a beginner Heli. The 4 channels are Throttle (up/down), Yaw (left/right), Pitch (forward/backward), and Roll (tilt left/right).

We also have a couple of the Micro Fairy heli's which are 3 channels. They are fun too.

i have a dragonfly heli myself. def hard to control in high wind but its alot of fun even though I'm 24. i love taking that thing out

to me you want the blade cx2 or the esky robins 22 they are easy to fly and once you learn to fly them you can upgrade the wi alloy upgrades. also they are great for people like me go in to the hobby and upgraded to a larger model but i still fly the blade and esky robins22 because they are great. if you are looking to fly outdoors or with other helis you want the blade as it has the spektrum transmitter but if you are looking for a bit of home flying try the esky.
thanks
tom

LOL just me I'm NEVER BUYING ANYTHING THAT FLIES AFTER TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bought a plane and its history now....

I'm kinda wondering the same thing.
I want to get into helicopters, but have no interest in the tiny indoor only models.

Should I invest in a simulator first?

Back