Got a Nitro Helicopter and don't know much about them

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I purchased a nitro helicopter today and have only ever driven nitro rc cars.
This would be my first flying experience, and to be honest I am not sure if I will ever have enough courage to fire this bad boy up!!?
I am absolutely committed to study everything necessary, especially the safety points!
I know nitro engines well, just not helicopters.
This unit was never flown, engine and everything else is like new, previous owner kept it as a shelf queen and made sure he turns the motor every few weeks so it doesn't sieze. It has had after run oil applied and I am confident it will start right up.
Awaiting a delivery of a USB cable, needed to use the Futaba it came with, with a Phoenix simulator.
So, I will be doing my practice on a sim soon.
Can anyone please tell me anything about this helicopter, and what should I be going over, if its been sitting that long?
Also, any other tips and tricks you can throw at me, I would really appreciate!

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_7348.JPG
    IMG_7348.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7359.JPG
    IMG_7359.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7351.JPG
    IMG_7351.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7353.JPG
    IMG_7353.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7355.JPG
    IMG_7355.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7357.JPG
    IMG_7357.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 50
First flying experience? 😳

You couldn't have chosen a harder flying platform to start with. From my experience, flight sims don't fully translate into real life physics. But, that's just me.
Good luck to ya, and keep us posted of your progress!

Last edited:
First flying experience? 😳

You couldn't have chosen a harder flying platform to start with. From my experience, flight sims don't fully translate into real life physics. But, that's just me.
Good luck to ya, and keep us posted of your progress!
Thank for your input.

I have flown drones in the past, and am quite confident that with practice on a SIM I can fly this.

My main concern is how to make sure all is calibrate as it should, and chopper doesn't crash or tip over on first take off?

Cheers

Thank for your input.

I have flown drones in the past, and am quite confident that with practice on a SIM I can fly this.

My main concern is how to make sure all is calibrate as it should, and chopper doesn't crash or tip over on first take off?

Cheers

I had bought one in a yard sale one time ,it was big with a 32 size engine ,it didn't have the controller to it ,but
I hooked a 2 Chanel up just to work the throttle to here the engine run ,it was scary hearing the 3 foot blades
swing around with a little bit of throttle ,I shut it down an decided that it was not for me an buy the right controller
for it!..🤦‍♂️😂
But anyway ,a simulator will be good ,but isn't going to teach you actual hands on feel ,they use to sell those mounting
jigs that articulate ,they swiveled in different direction to mount the heli on to learn to fly ,you can also maybe find
a person that can teach you with a buddy controller!
Good luck ,nice score!..👍😎

sims are a great way to learn to control your new heli. wow dont real pilots practice on sims. they do.

Congrats. Looks like a nice bird. I sent you a pm as I didnt think in the open would be appropriate.

Thanks guys!

I am a big fan of nitro, and this was such a good deal to pass.
I paid 10% of what the guy actually invested in this chopper, and it was never flown.
At first I was having second doubts whether to keep it, but its def staying now.
Might even get a cheapie smaller one, just to get my bearings on the technique.

Last edited:
Yes! Why not practice on the simulator, then buy a cheap (electric) mini fixed pitch heli, fly THAT around your living room, then get a mini (electric) collective pitch heli, as collective pitch is a new learning curve, master that at home, and THEN try out your nitro CP beast. Because I believe your nitro, CP heli is at the very top of the heli food chain, and that it requires commensurate skill. Just a suggestion. Best of luck, however you choose to proceed.

This thread is almost a year old. There is a good chance he figured it out by now. ;)

Lol, I’ve done this before. But thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious.

This thread is almost a year old. There is a good chance he figured it out by now. ;)

Haha I wish!
The heli is still hanging off the garage ceiling, never even dared to fire it up.
I just dont have the time to get into heli flying atm.
The idea of getting a smaller electric one is great, and something I wll eventually end up doing!

Thank you

I stand corrected lol.
For the record, I use a Real Flight 9 simulator. I learned how to fly airplanes with it. I stay on the ground now, too expensive in the air. ;)

i tried to get in to electric helis about 6-7 years ago and at some point I discovered in order to even just be adept at it takes many many many hours or practice and I just wasn't willing to put that kind of time in to it. :)