Electric basics...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Kelly

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I plan on racing some electrics in the future.. Right now I have a T-maxx...

I have no idea what "19 turn" motor means, and I am not sure what models are best for racing either... I know brand names, But not sure which model is a good one...

Can I buy a competitive off road racer in the $200 range?
I also have a mega 1 charger to charge the 7.2's...

Please name some good ones to get (price too)

And a good motor setup too..

Thanks guys, Jon

I don't really run electrics but I'll try to at least get you started.

Motors are usually rated according to "turns" and "winds". "Turns" refers to the number of times the wires are wound around the armature. "Winds" refers to the number of strands of wire that are wound around the arm. So for example, a 19-turn triple has 3 (triple) strands of wire wound around each pole of the arm 19 times. General rule of thumb. Lower turns gives more speed and less battery life. Lower winds gives more torque and again hampers battery life.

As far as good electric off-roads. I assume you'll be thinking stadium trucks. I would recommend the Associated T4 or the Losi XXX-T Matt Francis. They may be a bit above your budget, but they are some of the best you can buy.

That's about as far as I can go. I'll have to let some of the other electric guys take it from here.

Originally posted by Jon Kelly
I plan on racing some electrics in the future.. Right now I have a T-maxx...

I have no idea what "19 turn" motor means, and I am not sure what models are best for racing either... I know brand names, But not sure which model is a good one...

Can I buy a competitive off road racer in the $200 range?
I also have a mega 1 charger to charge the 7.2's...

Please name some good ones to get (price too)

And a good motor setup too..

Thanks guys, Jon

It depends on which class you want to run...if you want to run stock truck you need to run a 27 turn motor with fixed 24 degrees locked timing. You can get a B4 Team Kit for less than $200 and the setup I run is a Trinity Revenge of the Monster Pro Motor for stock and a 21T Robinson which will allow you to hang with even sponsored drivers and most likely be able to pull on them in the straights if you are running matched 3300 cells. If you want to run mod then you obviously need to run a mod motor which is a lot more money like the Trinity D5 Flatliner 9 Turn Single Hand Wound Motor which pretty much hauls booty and you will need to gear down (all of this depends on the track however). You can also get the T4 (Truck Team Kit) for the same price.

Back