ECX Ruckus Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so I finally received both the ESC and the Reedy 3300 kv BM. Hope I wired it correctly lol which I believe I did. Now the only issue is the pinion gear is not mating with the spur gear as seen in the photos. Need advice again hahaha.

View attachment 163302
Another thing i noticed is that you heat shrinked the connectors between the ESC and motor. While there is nothing wrong with doing that, you should always wait until after everything is at least tested once, especially with brushless motors. Unlike a brushed motor, brushless motors arent picky about how they are connected, and, once everything is all set up, you may find that the motor runs backwards, and, if it does, to fix it, you would then swap two of the wires between the motor and ESC to get it to run the correct direction (if you look on the ESC, you will see that the motor wires are labeled A, B, and C, and, what i typically do if the motor runs the wrong direction is to swap the B wire with the C wire). Also, once it is all done and together, dont forget to set the throttle end points, so that the ESC knows where neutral, forward, and reverse are.
On the Reedy SC-600BL, the way to do that is to first make sure the TH trim on the radio is at 100%, then turn on the radio, then hold the set button (the little button next to the on/off switch), and turn on the ESC, and keep holding the set button until the light starts to flash, then, let go of the set button.
With the throttle at neutral, press the set button and release, and the light will blink once, then, pull the throttle all the way forward and press the set button again, and the light will blink twice, then, put the throttle in reverse and press the set button again, and the light will blink 3 times, then, let go of the throttle, and wait until the light turns a solid color and stops flashing, then it is all set. You only have to do that once, unless you change radios, or make other changes. This video (although its not for the Reedy SC600BL, the process is exactly the same) explains it a bit better than i did, except, for some reason, he sets the TH trim to 0 instead of 100%, which may or may not make any difference:

****Update****
Okay so after buying the new pinion gear set it ran successfully!! I've been running it for about a week an half now with minor things breaking and being fixed. I've noticed now that the truck bounces a lot when running at top speed any suggestions why ? Today I took it out and it finally broke the RR axle lol so much fun !!!
Another thing i noticed is that you heat shrinked the connectors between the ESC and motor. While there is nothing wrong with doing that, you should always wait until after everything is at least tested once, especially with brushless motors. Unlike a brushed motor, brushless motors arent picky about how they are connected, and, once everything is all set up, you may find that the motor runs backwards, and, if it does, to fix it, you would then swap two of the wires between the motor and ESC to get it to run the correct direction (if you look on the ESC, you will see that the motor wires are labeled A, B, and C, and, what i typically do if the motor runs the wrong direction is to swap the B wire with the C wire). Also, once it is all done and together, dont forget to set the throttle end points, so that the ESC knows where neutral, forward, and reverse are.
On the Reedy SC-600BL, the way to do that is to first make sure the TH trim on the radio is at 100%, then turn on the radio, then hold the set button (the little button next to the on/off switch), and turn on the ESC, and keep holding the set button until the light starts to flash, then, let go of the set button.
With the throttle at neutral, press the set button and release, and the light will blink once, then, pull the throttle all the way forward and press the set button again, and the light will blink twice, then, put the throttle in reverse and press the set button again, and the light will blink 3 times, then, let go of the throttle, and wait until the light turns a solid color and stops flashing, then it is all set. You only have to do that once, unless you change radios, or make other changes. This video (although its not for the Reedy SC600BL, the process is exactly the same) explains it a bit better than i did, except, for some reason, he sets the TH trim to 0 instead of 100%, which may or may not make any difference:
Thanks for the replay, yeah at first I was a little confused on which way I was supposed to connect them, the heat shrink was on when they shipped them to me and that's how I got them. I quickly figured out how they were supposed to be connected and all is good for now.
AC1D875E-8DD3-42AE-98C6-AD216E8E0AE8.jpeg

Also new project in the making, I had bought the ECX axe monster for my son first before the ruckus and now she’s getting a makeover for my daughter any thoughts please share “ Not finished yet “ thanks again !!

Attachments

• A8CC712F-DD5C-4A2C-85AD-B797C71A291F.jpeg
    A8CC712F-DD5C-4A2C-85AD-B797C71A291F.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 31
  • BD677DE8-F4B9-442C-9A55-4371DB0A80DE.jpeg
    BD677DE8-F4B9-442C-9A55-4371DB0A80DE.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 33
  • E3746A5D-0B1C-441D-A646-06B1B9BB3865.jpeg
    E3746A5D-0B1C-441D-A646-06B1B9BB3865.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
****Update****
Okay so after buying the new pinion gear set it ran successfully!! I've been running it for about a week an half now with minor things breaking and being fixed. I've noticed now that the truck bounces a lot when running at top speed any suggestions why ? Today I took it out and it finally broke the RR axle lol so much fun !!!
The bouncing could be a wheel out of balance, shocks that are too stiff or too soft (wrong weight shock oil), springs over dampened (too many spacers on the shocks, making the springs too stiff), or, it could just be the surfaces you are running on. They will do it more on asphalt than any other surface.
Thanks for the replay, yeah at first I was a little confused on which way I was supposed to connect them, the heat shrink was on when they shipped them to me and that's how I got them. I quickly figured out how they were supposed to be connected and all is good for now.

Also new project in the making, I had bought the ECX axe monster for my son first before the ruckus and now she’s getting a makeover for my daughter any thoughts please share “ Not finished yet “ thanks again !!
It looks like you are doing a purple metal flake paint job. I think it looks cool. As for other thoughts, it all depends on how you are setting it up, how old she is, and what her experience level is. Just like with the Ruckus, if you are going brushless, i wouldnt go with too much power. If you are going to keep it brushed, i would go with an Arrma ESC and 12T motor.

80C is too much for a brushed system!o_O
The C rating on a battery has nothing to do with electronics overheating. The C rating just represents how much amperage can be "pulled" from the battery, and the higher you go the better. You could put any C rated battery on any system, and it won't make a bit of difference unless it's not enough.

80C is too much for a brushed system!o_O
I used to run 90C and 120C batteries on my traxxas brushed systems. Like @WickedFog said, C rating does not do anything to the electronics (well it gives it more punch) The mah is how long the car can go for. The only thing(s) that affect the electronics is how many cells and the battery chemistry (LiPo, LiHV, NiMH, Nicad, ect)

It is likely bouncing because the stock tires are probably full of sand or dirt combined with the fact that the stock shocks leak. If you want some "better" cheap shocks get some take off shocks from the Slash off Jennys rc.

Well my daughters axe monster truck conversion build is coming along now, plus new parts are bout to be order for the upgrades !!! Thanks for the replys I will look into new shocks for the ruckus.

6ED078F1-ADE4-4D15-9A47-F6065B9F5D46.jpeg

C2FCC139-E114-4FEC-89EC-3EAA7E32E13D.jpeg

DC30D4C8-4B9B-4CEF-AD6D-1E57CF815DF3.jpeg

B02AAF11-95C4-4281-A457-13B68C9BE784.jpeg

Just curious, but what upgrades have you done on them?
The ruckus we swapped out the esc and brushed 15t out for the reedy esc and 3300kv brushless motor then we upgraded the transmission gears to metal and the spur gear as well. I also had to add a 20 t Pinion gear to fit the new motor and that’s all I have done to the ruckus. Now the flower power monster truck it’s getting the same upgrades. I’m am looking into new metal axles since I broke one on the ruckus so I’ll be upgrading to metal soon.

The ruckus we swapped out the esc and brushed 15t out for the reedy esc and 3300kv brushless motor then we upgraded the transmission gears to metal and the spur gear as well. I also had to add a 20 t Pinion gear to fit the new motor and that’s all I have done to the ruckus. Now the flower power monster truck it’s getting the same upgrades. I’m am looking into new metal axles since I broke one on the ruckus so I’ll be upgrading to metal soon.
For the driveshafts, look into the Traxxas HD axle conversion for the Torment:
A few other upgrades that are typically needed at some point for the ECX 2WD vehicles are: RPM 73492 Servo eliminator and, Traxxas https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3744 (this is the one i used) (hot racing also makes an aluminum one of these), RPM 70582 front arms (the arms seem a bit too brittle, especially in the cold), RPM 70462 rear arms.

Back