RC10 and a Reedy Radon 2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealthboy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all!

I apologize in advance is this is not a correct post - I just joined, and I am getting back into my RC cars.

I have an original Team Associated RC10 World Championship edition that I bought in 1990, and I'm trying to update it a bit. A few years ago I put in a Flysky receiver, and I have some Powerextra 7.2 3600 mAh NiMH batteries. The ESC is a Hobbywing. Typical stuff, nothing fancy. But I just recently bought a new Reedy Radon 2 17T motor. When I installed it and ran it, I got about one minute of performance, and then my battery started dying already. This was shocking. Up until then I had a Reedy Firehawk motor that worked just fine and I could get 15 minutes or so of runtime (approx, honestly I never really timed it).

It was quite startling how quickly the performance dropped off a cliff. How can I start to diagnose this problem? Or am I doing something so wrong here that you all will tell me I'm an idiot? :)

Parts inventory:
- Gold pan RC10 Championship Edition
- Hobbywing QUICRUN 1060 Brushed ESC
- Flysky 2.4ghz receiver
- Powerextra 7.2 3600 mAh NiMH battery

P. S. - Getting back into updating my RC10 because I just built a Tamiya BBX with my son - we love it!

I used to run my Traxxas Bandit on NiMH batteries. However, they aren't the most energy efficient. It could also be the charger.

Welcome!

How old is the battery, and when was the last time it was used (charged / discharged)?

Welcome!

How old is the battery, and when was the last time it was used (charged / discharged)?

I got two brand new batteries. So, less than a week in my possession, not sure of manufacture date. I fully charged them when I got them, then used twice.

I put my old motor back in and got a typical 15 minute session. So I don't think it's the batteries. 🤷‍♂️

a reedy will eat thru those batteries raced them once back in the day. then lipos came out .did you break the reeds in? this isnt typical stuff its old school. typical is 2 cell lipo- brushless esc n motor geared higher than Ni stuff ..run times are like 15 minutes +
did you condition batteries? and how?
are you getting false delta peaks?
gearing on rc? and motor?

a reedy will eat thru those batteries raced them once back in the day. then lipos came out .did you break the reeds in? this isnt typical stuff its old school. typical is 2 cell lipo- brushless esc n motor geared higher than Ni stuff ..run times are like 15 minutes +
did you condition batteries? and how?
are you getting false delta peaks?
gearing on rc? and motor?

I know what most of those words mean. :).

But seriously, what is a false delta peak? And condition the batteries? I don't even know what that is. Back in the day with new NiMH batteries I would just start using them.

Gearing on the RC10 is completely stock.

Sorry, I guess it may have been a mistake asking here. I apologize. I'm not an expert.

Back