E revo finally ate up a workhorse hobbystar motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeeenuuutt

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
Just getting back into the hobby, this motor was a beast back when I ran this truck almost every weekend. It’s seen 7 cell lipo, 30 feet of air, 70mph, and more extreme poop. I was re learning how to drive in a retention pond for about 30 min. I was mid drift in a dusty area and then I saw all 4 wheels lock up, a puff of smoke, and audibly heard the ESC take in a thousand amps ?. Took all of a quarter of a second for my hand to go from full throttle to none. Rest in piece old friend, you really did do some remarkable things. Motor has over 100 miles on it, kinda insane. It’s a hobbystar 4076 2000kv. Complete ripper man. I’ll tear it apart and post pictures here and on the arrma forum. Guess it’s 4082 upgrade tome!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Update. I took it all apart and discovered that the rotor is actually in very good shape! I guess the can is bad. I put the rotor into my old traxxas motor that killed its rotor, seemed to power up and put around decently.

You can fit a 4082 in revo?

Will be curious what it looks like inside as to what gave way.
I’ve seen it done by grinding back the suspension mount to allow extra room. I’ll post pics of the can... as the rotor is already back inside the old traxxas can.
image.jpg

I’m gonna google the resistance values and compare mine to them.

Update, I used a flash. Looks like there’s some obvious scoring on the walls.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upon using a multimeter to measure resistance across two wires at a time, they’re all reading around 3.5 ohms except for one phase, which is a dead short. Thoughts?

Just did a test run with the rebuilt motor. Went very badly. Same symptoms. Motor and it’s wires are heating up fast and it’s acting like there’s a huge bind in the drivetrain. Hope the esc isn’t bad!!!

Ordered a new motor. This time I’m going with a leopard heavy duty 4275 motor. Esc checked out good through a quick multimeter tests... no shorts in the mosfets or anything. We’ll see how it goes.

Yeah, a dead short sounds bad... hope the ESC is ok. I've never checked a motor to see... then again, my multi-meter is an old radio shack POS, so it wouldn't likely tell me anything helpful anyway, especially with that small of a value. lol!

Yeah, a dead short sounds bad... hope the ESC is ok. I've never checked a motor to see... then again, my multi-meter is an old radio shack POS, so it wouldn't likely tell me anything helpful anyway, especially with that small of a value. lol!
I hope it’s ok too... it’ll be a few days before the new motor gets here. My esc has no failsafes and no overcurrent protection ?. All I did was test the phase resistance with a multimeter and test the positive to each of the 3 phases and then the ground to each of the 3 phases, none of them were shorted or out of spec from the others.

Did you check the 3 phases on the traxxas motor you moved the rotor to as a reference?
I did, and they all checked out... but the esc beeps were very weak like the motor had low compression.

Back