Drifting question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
In a drifter is it better to have a sensored or non sensored motor and why?

Also whats the ideal KV range for a drifter?

Ideally, you would want a sensored motor. Sensored motors typically run much "smoother" than a sensorless and allow you to have good "low throttle" control.

everyone runs different motors depending on their environment such as the size of their track or surface. In my opinion, roughly 4000- 5000kv (~8.5t) is a good all around motor choice. Some may prefer more, or less but overall you don't need much power to drift so even a slower motor like a 10.5 or even 13.5 can be good

Personally I have not found that it matters much being sensored or not really. I like the higher turn motors for drifting, reason is you need a decent balance of torque and RPM/wheelspin. Since you spend a lot of time on the throttle without much forward speed....so you had reduced cooling airflow. I used a 3000KvA and it was about right for me. If you run some motor fans you can run a hotter motor but it is not really needed and just reduces battery life.

I've got a Tekin 8.5T that I was thinking about using but then I thought about picking up a decent used Tekin 10.5 and try that first. the 8.5 is 5300kv and the 10.5 is 4500kv but based on what you're describing it sounds like I may want to try a 13.5T (3500kv) first.

13.5T may also be a good choice too because then I could switch from that to my Castle 3800kv sensorless and see the difference for myself.

I think that sounds like a pretty decent plan. I was running a Sidewinder ESC and it was fine. You really are not doing a lot of low speed driving so unless you have crappy batteries you would never notice cogging anyway. The lower KvA motors have the torque you need to keep the wheels broke loose but still be controlable. I saw a lot of guys in Japan (huge in the scale drifting) that still ran brushed motors. If you already have the 10.5 I would give it a shot first and just see how your temps are, you can always gear down if needed. I just don't see the need for the higher RPM motor that sucks down more juice if you don't need it. I would rather run cooler and have longer run times. I was doing some looking I was running a 3500KvA Novak Balistic not a 3000 as I had said earlier.

Back