Ryft crawler conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdMiller86

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I bought my Ryft some months ago. Haven’t really bashed or broke anything with it. I’m wanting to “calm it down” and convert it to more of a crawler and it still have plenty of power. After a few discussions with a guy who works at the local shop I frequent I’ve decided on a hobbywing 540L sensored, brushless motor and Esc combo. My only real question is what KV and what are the advantages??? It comes in three options, a 2800kv, 2100kv and 1400kv. What exactly does this rating entail and what are the pros and cons of each rating. Thanks in advance!!!

The lower the number the less speed but more torque. In my 10.2 on an ax10 tranny, I bored the motor holes out to fit a 21 or 22 pinion. With my castle 2080kv, I'm getting 22mph. If I drop the factory pinion I'll turn Grey driving it 2 miles to the store. 🤣

I would go that route if your comfortable modding the motor plate if it's too slow. A lower kv motor on higher gearing will run cooler then a higher kv geared lower.

Multiply the kv rating with the battery voltage and you get a rpm per volt.

So the 2100kv right in the middle would give a little more wheel speed than the 1400 but more torque than the 2800? On 3s right now it’s fun to drive but really not worth much on trails and crawling. I’m really wanting to make it a really tough crawler that can still get over bigger obstacles and still climb a steep incline and not just spin the tires and run out of control.

I have a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540L in 2700kv in mine. I also got the parts to make the transmission a 2-speed. On 2s the second gear is ballistic, and the rig is hard to control, but in first gear it is more tame and easier to drive. With the censored motor you can go decently slow in 1st gear. If you plan on running 3s only, then the 2100kv would probably suit you better.

I personally run 2 of the 2800kv fusion pros and 2 of the 3300kv axe 550 Hobbywing systems and with the FOC you should never run out of low end torque or speed for that matter. They will go so slow you can barely tell they're moving but are almost too fast in 2nd gear on my trx4. You can't go wrong with either.

I have a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540L in 2700kv in mine. I also got the parts to make the transmission a 2-speed. On 2s the second gear is ballistic, and the rig is hard to control, but in first gear it is more tame and easier to drive. With the censored motor you can go decently slow in 1st gear. If you plan on running 3s only, then the 2100kv would probably suit you better.
Yeah 3s is the plan. It would be cool to have a 2spd transmission. It’s pretty hard to control with the current setup, hence why I want to tame it down to take it out crawling, I bet with a decent kv rated combo it would be a hard rig to out perform crawling.

I would also recommend a castle ESC. I used the copperhead in mine and I love the programming features. I can set my throttle curve for low speed control. You can use the auxiliary wire to switch between rock racer and crawler mode.

Back