Drag Bandit Build Research - Lots of questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never saw a yellow flamed car. I've been in a 67 malibu that was butternut yellow with that great yellow death peimer.

As for the car wwight, you still have battery missing I'm assuming, large body and mounts, and heavy tires.

I remembered way back when, strc and flm used to be the aluminum hot ticket. I know its not rear motor, but the also have tranny cases and built trannys. Probably overkill though.

I like the Integy one linked, but I've heard to much bad on the company in different directions.

Never saw a yellow flamed car. I've been in a 67 malibu that was butternut yellow with that great yellow death peimer.
I would probably paint the car a black, or blue, or something dark with yellow flames fading to orange or something like that. Maybe purple. We don't have a purple car yet. Then silver flames. Dunno. Will hit me when I get the body.
As for the car weight, you still have battery missing I'm assuming, large body and mounts, and heavy tires.
Yeah, I dunno yet what I wanna do. But I am leaning towards heavier should be better. If it is just 1-1/2 shorter than the Slash, I don't expect the weight to be too much less than the Slash by the time it is converted. Maybe just added weight up front would be best.
I remembered way back when, strc and flm used to be the aluminum hot ticket. I know its not rear motor, but the also have tranny cases and built trannys. Probably overkill though.
I may go with a Pro-Line trans in it. There is also DragRace Concepts mid-motor trans, but I read earlier that mid-motor changes the wheelbase? I wish they would tell you stuff like this in the description of things.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/dragra...n-case-mid-motor-drc-10002/p-qqqetzqqbc2zqctz
I like the Integy one linked, but I've heard to much bad on the company in different directions.
I have had good luck with Integy stuff. My shock towers on my Jato may even be Integy. But I have also heard bad things. I think it depends on if the part is in a vulnerable spot and shaped in a way it can get bent. That being said, hopefully this car never runs into anything.

So can anyone tell me what length the shocks are on a Bandit? Looking at the Pro-Line shocks, but don't see one that says it fits the Bandit. I assume the Slash shocks fit? But doing some research I am seeing shocks varying from 90-100 for the front and 100-115 for the rear from various venders, all saying they are for the Slash.

So can anyone tell me what length the shocks are on a Bandit? Looking at the Pro-Line shocks, but don't see one that says it fits the Bandit. I assume the Slash shocks fit? But doing some research I am seeing shocks varying from 90-100 for the front and 100-115 for the rear from various venders, all saying they are for the Slash.
I can do it in 3 or 4 hours as my bandit is at home. The fronts are shorter then back is about all I can help with until later. Traxxas measures shocks by larger xl xxl, or atleast used to.

https://m.traxxas.com/news/project-street-bandit

The link I found tells how to lower a car, nitro fuel tubing is what I used.

I can do it in 3 or 4 hours as my bandit is at home. The fronts are shorter then back is about all I can help with until later. Traxxas measures shocks by larger xl xxl, or atleast used to.

https://m.traxxas.com/news/project-street-bandit

The link I found tells how to lower a car, nitro fuel tubing is what I used.
I have used that trick as well. My best guess is 90mm front and 100mm rear, which are the Pro-Line Slash spec shocks.

I have used that trick as well. My best guess is 90mm front and 100mm rear, which are the Pro-Line Slash spec shocks.
90 front sounds right, backs I can't remember 100 or 110.

90 front sounds right, backs I can't remember 100 or 110.
Cool. Let me know if you measure yours. I put those sizes in my list. I wasn't going to start on this til Spring, but a chassis for this build will be coming out in a week or so, so grabbing that as sopn as it is available.

Similar to this...
IMG_7730.jpeg

I'm hoping I can start a drag build by January or February. This is too cool
Yeah, it is. There are soooo many options to choose from for complete chassis and standard chassis swaps.

Last edited:
Throw hobbytown.com in with amain as well. I've bought many things there and it's identical with different number and suite number as well. Sites are exactly the same as well

Throw hobbytown.com in with amain as well. I've bought many things there and it's identical with different number and suite number as well. Sites are exactly the same as well
Yeah, I noticed that too.

The ones I have on my Rustler I'm almost 100% sure are MIP but they are more like THIS design which I think is probably better because less rotating mass? Take a look and see what you think.

The ones I have on my Rustler I'm almost 100% sure are MIP but they are more like THIS design which I think is probably better because less rotating mass? Take a look and see what you think.
Oh, nice. And cheaper 😉

I'm hoping I can start a drag build by January or February. This is too cool

Drag racing's where it's at these days. It's kind of weird, in that it started getting big a few years ago, and I joined tons of social media drag racing groups, etc, it was going crazy. But for some reason it sort of petered out a little, or maybe leveled off. But then something happened this year, and drag racing just exploded to a whole new level, especially in my region.

Drag racing's where it's at these days. It's kind of weird, in that it started getting big a few years ago, and I joined tons of social media drag racing groups, etc, it was going crazy. But for some reason it sort of petered out a little, or maybe leveled off. But then something happened this year, and drag racing just exploded to a whole new level, especially in my region.
I really never thought I would like it. But it brings back memories of running my Mustang down the drag strip. I just thought with RC's it would be boring. But it's really not.

Oh hey Johnny, did you see a guy is building a chassis specifically for the Pinto?

I really never thought I would like it. But it brings back memories of running my Mustang down the drag strip. I just thought with RC's it would be boring. But it's really not.

Oh hey Johnny, did you see a guy is building a chassis specifically for the Pinto?

Yup, that should be a great chassis, his work is pretty outstanding.

I have a friend that has a Jato 3.3 that I'm going to work with him on also using the Pinto body, and he's got an SH .28 P3 that he wants to put in it. Not sure yet about the arms, I know for sure that the Jato arms are too wide, hoping Bandit ones will fit. I'll make 'em fit if they don't :D :D

I was a hotrodder in my younger days too. Had 69 Mustang 302 (total POS), then got a 71 Camaro SS, with a 350 that I built from scratch, buying all of the parts and learning to build an engine along with a friend who was building a 70 Boss 302. Me and my friends would hit the local dragstrip most Friday's in those days on the "run what you brung" nights. I had a 2 speed Powerglide, 60 series tires on Corvette Rally wheels, forget what my rear end was, it was pretty tall as I recall, so it either bogged or smoked the tires on launches, but had a ton of top end (buried the 150mph speedo a few times, lol). Nothing like going 0-80 in first gear though! Took a while to get the tune right, especially with the big cam I had in it, but it wound up running low 13's on street tires, so not to bad for that era.

Back