Drag Bandit Build Research - Lots of questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nitro slash peiced from JRC bandit lower arm's nitro rustler front 12mm kit, strc rear alum knuckles, used old touring car cv axles and dog bone cup metal drives off trans yokes
meant to put for nitro i did

I posted these on the Slash project build thread, but will slap this here as well for anyone looking to build a Bandit chassis vehicle. These Exotek CVD's are what I will be putting in this build as well.
https://www.exotekracing.com/slash-drag-hd-steel-cvd-axle-set/#write_review
20211214_104934.jpg

Still waiting to hear back from Chuckworks RC about a bandit chassis. It was supposed to be a week or so and has been over a month.

If anyone stumbles onto a nice Bandit chassis (11.25" wheelbase), please share a link. I want something that will accept the Dragrace Concepts mid-motor tranny.

@johnnydmd - you able to make anything like this?

Last edited:
Still waiting to hear back from Chuckworks RC about a bandit chassis. It was supposed to ne a week or so and has been over a month.

If anyone stumbles onto a nice Bandit chassis (11.25" wheelbase), please share a link. I want something that will accept the Dragrace Concepts mid-motor tranny.

@johnnydmd - you able to make anything like this?

I could if I had an SVG file for one. It would have to be in two sections though, as my router isn't big enough to make it one piece.

I could if I had an SVG file for one. It would have to be in two sections though, as my router isn't big enough to make it one piece.
What is the travel of your machine? I could actually 3d print test parts to make sure everything matches up. And I already have the front bulkhead modeled up, so the rest would be a fairly simple design.

You guys are killing me overhere. I've been wanting carbon parts for ever for my builds and made a few bits by hand that arent amazing, using a dremel and sanding, as my router, scroll saw, and drill press i inherited planning to use for these part making reasons all vanished of course.

Who has a plug on carbon sheets? Last i ordered was 4 5 years ago and was $30_40 for a paper sized panel in 2.5 and 3mm , also was usa sourced not fake cheaper laminate g10 from china.

Last edited:
The travel is 300x180. I cut mine from 250x100 mm sheets.
Oh, that's plenty big enough. But would possibly require wider sheets than 100mm. I wish I still had my stash of carbide burrs to send ya. I had about 20 high end 1/8" cutters that got sold with my old machinist box. I wish I still worked in the carbon fiber shop too. We made the highest grade carbon fiber on the planet there for the Predator drones, and other military projects.

That's a nice chassis. I'm done with the whole drag thing personally. I'm just enjoying building for now.
I just want to look at it on the shelf. But from all the parts I have gathered in my list, it will be a really fun build.

So I guess I don't really need to grab those parts from Jenny's for the carriers. I'll just grab those seperate, the Bandit turnbuckles, Bandit arms, and the CVDs.
My honest opinion, since you are going to be using your own electronics would be to just find a used Bandit VXL chassis slider complete. The reason for the VXL is because, unless hers was a quirk, uses bearings and different hubs and steering blocks, whereas the XL-5 uses bushings. From what I have gathered, the VXL uses Rustler hubs and steering blocks. The other issue with the Bandit is that it uses pin, and not hex rear wheels, but, skinny hexes will fit the Bandit axles. To source all the needed parts (transmission, arms, axles, links, bulkhead, shocks, towers, would cost way more than just buying a used slider would.

After looking into it, there is nothing from the Bandit that I really need. I'll be using an aluminum bulkhead, RPM arms, Hot Racing or DRC transmission, ST Racing shock towers, Pro-Line shocks, etc. There won't be any Traxxas parts on it at all 😉

After looking into it, there is nothing from the Bandit that I really need. I'll be using an aluminum bulkhead, RPM arms, Hot Racing or DRC transmission, ST Racing shock towers, Pro-Line shocks, etc. There won't be any Traxxas parts on it at all 😉
What about rear hubs, caster blocks and steering blocks? After trying different plastic and aluminum ones from integy, rpm, and several other companies, those parts I would only get from Traxxas, along with the aluminum steering bellcrank. I'm currently working on a Slash that I did that upgrade to with TRX parts, just because that's one thing Traxxas did right, along with the steel driveshafts. Even the stock plastic bellcrank is better than most aftermarket aluminum ones that are available. As for arms, I prefer the TRX HD ones over RPM. They break way less in extreme conditions.

Disclaimer: I personally hate giving any money to Traxxas, but, after owning 4 Slashes, 4 Stampedes, 2 Bandits, and 2 Rustlers, and trying every aftermarket parts, from every company available, even the stuff on eBay and Amazon, I have learned that there are some things that only Traxxas has done right.

Last edited:
What about rear hubs, caster blocks and steering blocks? After trying different plastic and aluminum ones from integy, rpm, and several other companies, those parts I would only get from Traxxas, along with the aluminum steering bellcrank. I'm currently working on a Slash that I did that upgrade to with TRX parts, just because that's one thing Traxxas did right, along with the steel driveshafts. Even the stock plastic bellcrank is better than most aftermarket aluminum ones that are available. As for arms, I prefer the TRX HD ones over RPM. They break way less in extreme conditions.

Disclaimer: I personally hate giving any money to Traxxas, but, after owning 4 Slashes, 4 Stampedes, 2 Bandits, and 2 Rustlers, and trying every aftermarket parts, from every company available, even the stuff on eBay and Amazon, I have learned that there are some things that only Traxxas has done right.
I'll be using either Traxxas or ST Racing for all that, but none of it will be stock Bandit parts. I like the Traxxas aluminum stuff, except their stupid aluminum links. What a joke those are lol.

Hot Racing's aluminum bellcrank is really nice. The Traxxas ones are overpriced.
These are for Slash 4WD, but I think these are the best links out there - https://www.ebay.com/itm/114989475512

I got them for the 2WD just couldn't find them at the moment. They are lightweight, and the most easily adjustable I've seen.

I'll be using either Traxxas or ST Racing for all that, but none of it will be stock Bandit parts. I like the Traxxas aluminum stuff, except their stupid aluminum links. What a joke those are lol.
I hear that about the links all the time, but, I've never had any issues with them. I have had issues with the STRC ones though (I have bent several of them at the skate park I run at).

I hear that about the links all the time, but, I've never had any issues with them. I have had issues with the STRC ones though (I have bent several of them at the skate park I run at).
This car will have a body protecting the arms. As long as we don't hit a tree of something, it will be fine. No skate parks for this one.

Where's the fun in that LOL.
If I ever get to building this, it will be more of a shelf queen. And we don't have a skate park close enough for me to get to. There is actually a couple wicked RC tracks that are closer to me. If I were to go anywhere with our RC's, it would be there. Last I heard they were building a crawler course too.

Back