Drag Bandit Build Research - Lots of questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
After seeing the Pro-Line Pinto body with 11.25" wheelbase, meant for the Traxxas Bandit or AE SR10 chassis, I have been wanting to build one. I am currently just researching the build to be started this Spring, but I am totally unfamiliar with Traxxas vehicles and parts interchangeability.

PRO357200_A4_DJ4O3A18.jpg

I plan to build the car in pretty much stock form from parts from Jenny's RC, aside from the electronics and transmission and I guess axles. I have learned here that a lot of stuff from the Slash and Rustler 2wd vehicles is compatible.

One thing that confuses me is the axles. I have been told to use 12mm hex wheels I will need Slash or Rustler axles. But the bandit has shorter A-arms. If I buy the axles from Jenny's from a Rustler, it comes with the uprights.
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ru...pindles-rear-axles-carriers-3752-traxxas-3707

Will this need to be combined with Bandit parts to work? What else will I need? Are Bandit and Rustler uprights interchangeable? Can I just hack the driveshafts down to fit the Bandit? Or is there a better driveshaft like a CVD that I can get for the Bandit? I just want the best drivetrain I can get, and be able to use 12mm hex wheels.

Links to any cool Bandit specific drag parts would also be greatly appreciated. Looking at chassis, but need to keep the 11.25" wheelbase.

Thanks

I believe that the Bandit/Rustler/Slash share most components other than the chassis and arms. You should be able to use 12mm hex on the bandit drive shafts, I am using Bandit shafts and 12mm wheels ( https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Micke...2230-Short-Course-Beadlock-Wheels_p_3134.html ) You definitely want to upgrade those to use steel CVD's. There are other brands, but I've been using these with no issues - https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=31806&p_catid=546#.YY5_VU7MKUk

If you're starting with a Bandit chassis, you'll have most everything you need already.

Love the idea of a Pinto build!

Because of the wheelbase though, some clubs/events won't allow anything other than 13" SC wheelbases, but that's really only for the very specific NPRC classes. The outlaw/bracket classes are gaining far more popularity as of late, so it would be fine there. Also, there is talk of a "Pinto" class, lol.

I believe that the Bandit/Rustler/Slash share most components other than the chassis and arms. You should be able to use 12mm hex on the bandit drive shafts, I am using Bandit shafts and 12mm wheels ( https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Micke...2230-Short-Course-Beadlock-Wheels_p_3134.html ) You definitely want to upgrade those to use steel CVD's. There are other brands, but I've been using these with no issues - https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=31806&p_catid=546#.YY5_VU7MKUk

If you're starting with a Bandit chassis, you'll have most everything you need already.

Love the idea of a Pinto build!

Because of the wheelbase though, some clubs/events won't allow anything other than 13" SC wheelbases, but that's really only for the very specific NPRC classes. The outlaw/bracket classes are gaining far more popularity as of late, so it would be fine there. Also, there is talk of a "Pinto" class, lol.
I won't be racing anyone other than my 9 year old boy, who will likely smoke my butt. So I am not worried about any rules. As long as I don't build one car ridiculously faster than the other, we're good. Because he will latch onto whichever one is faster and I'll never get to drive it 🤣

As for the Pinto build, my mom had two, and my brother had a really cool one for about a month before he totaled it. They were just always cool little cars to me. That, and the first time I drove by myself, I boosted my mom's Pinto wagon while she slept. The first car I ever drove was a Beetle just a week or so before that, so likely another build soon after this one 😉

Thanks for the links!

Oh, and will get those files yo you. Keep getting sidetracked.

Definitely get the steel CVDs. I've got some from MIP on my Rusty, they probably make em for the Bandit too. I dont know all the parts that are interchangeable but like Johnny said I think its mostly the chassis and arms that are different. I'm guessing drive shafts and CVDs are different too since arms are varying lengths. A ton of the other stuff is the same.

I'm guessing drive shafts and CVDs are different too since arms are varying lengths.

Yup, different lengths, otherwise the same. Some people using Slash's will cut down the arms to Bandit length to save a few bucks if swapping to Bandit arms.

There might be some stuff that needs to be done with the body mounts too. I know with my Vette I swapped the posts and flipped the front mount upside down.

So I guess I don't really need to grab those parts from Jenny's for the carriers. I'll just grab those seperate, the Bandit turnbuckles, Bandit arms, and the CVDs.

So I guess I don't really need to grab those parts from Jenny's for the carriers. I'll just grab those seperate, the Bandit turnbuckles, Bandit arms, and the CVDs.
When you get hexes, the stampede has wide and narrow hexes if you need to move your wheels around.

The bandit and rustler have the same chassis. I'm certain the slash is included, but the rustler and stampede have the same arm length, all the drive shafts are the same but the bandit is narrow. I've cut stanpede shafts to fit bandit arms.

The shock towers, and transmission ate the same, just the bandit may have a different part number as it has 2 holes for the wing snd a nippl for tje bsndit body. The bandit tower has holes for other 2wd body mounts.

For your body, the 2wd has adjustable body mounts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311690222886?epid=1201446505&hash=item48922f5d26:g:0YMAAOSw7UZbOVfN

The cool thing with the bandit chassis, if you cut the wall in front of the tranny, turn said tranny around and drill it out, you have a mid motor car. Doing so changes the wheelbase but you gain launching capabilities.

Last edited:
When you get hexes, the stampede has wide and narrow hexes if you need to move your wheels around.

The bandit and rustler have the same chassis. I'm certain the slash is included, but the rustler and stampede have the same arm length, all the drive shafts are the same but the bandit is narrow. I've cut stanpede shafts to fit bandit arms.

The shock towers, and transmission ate the same, just the bandit may have a different part number as it has 2 holes for the wing snd a nippl for tje bsndit body. The bandit tower has holes for other 2wd body mounts.

For your body, the 2wd has adjustable body mounts.
So I thought the Bandit chassis was different because of the shorter wheelbase? Or is that handled in the bulkhead/transmission position or something?

There is a chassis on ebay that looks pretty cool here...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redshift-2...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

It is mid-motor, and I found a mid-motor tranny case on Amain here...
https://www.amainhobbies.com/dragra...n-case-mid-motor-drc-10002/p-qqqetzqqbc2zqctz

But I am unsure if these will work. Will I be able to maintain the 11.25" wheelbase with these? Are there any issues with going mid-motor? That trans case says it reverses the gearing so the motor turns the right way, which is no big deal anyway. But thought it was pretty cool.

The tranny, front bulkhead, front and rear shocktowers are all the same on rwd.

The bandit shares a chassis, the bell crank steering with the rustler.

The bandit front and rear arms are narrower. The front axles, and rear axles and telescoping drive shafts are shorter also as well as the steering and camber link.

I can't remember if the shocks were shorter

I have early 2000 xl1 rustler, 2006 xl5 stampede, 2 2007 vxl stampede, and a 2009 bandit vxl.

I like the chassis you linked. I never saw it before. I'm assuming the wheelbase wouldbe dr10 length but that is an assumption.

The tranny, front bulkhead, front and rear shocktowers are all the same on rwd.

The bandit shares a chassis, the bell crank steering with the rustler.

The bandit front and rear arms are narrower. The front axles, and rear axles and telescoping drive shafts are shorter also as well as the steering and camber link.

I can't remember if the shocks were shorter

I have early 2000 xl1 rustler, 2006 xl5 stampede, 2 2007 vxl stampede, and a 2009 bandit vxl.

I like the chassis you linked. I never saw it before. I'm assuming the wheelbase wouldbe dr10 length but that is an assumption.
Thanks again. I have a Slash roller coming from Kimmie for a 67 Mustang build, so after I get that, I should be able to understand this a lot better.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to build a stock Bandit roller, minus the arms, front axles, driveshafts, and transmission, and just go from there with upgrade parts.

For front axles, these look very cool, but spendy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exotek-Tra...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I really like the mid-motor idea to put the weight off the ass end of the car, since this will be such a short wheelbase.

I was also looking at the Integy chassis, which is all aluminum. I am thinking the extra weight will be beneficial on this little guy. But again, I am unsure if it is standard Bandit length, or if it is extended for drag racing. I have questions out to Integy and the ebay seller.

I imagine this will be just as squirrely as the 1:1 Pintos I have seen at the track. So, this will be fun 😉

I didnt realize that the bandit and rustler used the same chassis. learn something new everyday :)

The Stampede and Rear Rustler arms are the same length but the Rustler front arms are shorter than the stampede. Pede's front arms are same length as its rear arms.

So I thought the Bandit chassis was different because of the shorter wheelbase? Or is that handled in the bulkhead/transmission position or something?

There is a chassis on ebay that looks pretty cool here...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redshift-2...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

It is mid-motor, and I found a mid-motor tranny case on Amain here...
https://www.amainhobbies.com/dragra...n-case-mid-motor-drc-10002/p-qqqetzqqbc2zqctz

But I am unsure if these will work. Will I be able to maintain the 11.25" wheelbase with these? Are there any issues with going mid-motor? That trans case says it reverses the gearing so the motor turns the right way, which is no big deal anyway. But thought it was pretty cool.

That Chuckworks chassis is surely 13.2" wheelbase.

RC Planet
424 Otterson Drive
Chico, CA 95928 USA
1-866-787-5487 (Toll-Free)
1-530-592-1186 (International or Local)
(7am - 6pm PST Monday to Friday)

AMain Hobbies
424 Otterson Drive Ste 1
Chico, CA 95928 USA
Office Hours: 9AM - 6PM Mon - Fri
Customer Support: 1-800-705-2215 (Toll-Free)
1-530-894-0797 (International or Local)
Phone Hours: 6AM - 6PM PST Mon - Fri

Same address, minus the suite number. Different telephone numbers, probably so they can answer the phones correctly.
That Chuckworks chassis is surely 13.2" wheelbase.
That is what I am thinking. It doesn't seem anyone makes a standard Bandit length chassis. That's ok though. I'll just stick with a standard VXL build and go from there.

Last edited:
So, I found out the Integy aluminum chassis is standard Bandit/Rustler length. So it should work. I am just not sold on it. The added weight might be a good thing.
https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=39863&p_catid=545#.YY7arbdOkwA
View attachment 136412

So the bandit weighs 2.99 lbs stock, it's a very light vehicle. Most SC based drag cars are around 5 lbs (4.54 is minimum for NP/SE classes). The extra weight will definitely help on that rig. those chassis look sweet as hell too. I love the red one.

So the bandit weighs 2.99 lbs stock, it's a very light vehicle. Most SC based drag cars are around 5 lbs (4.54 is minimum for NP/SE classes). The extra weight will definitely help on that rig. those chassis look sweet as hell too. I love the red one.
I was looking at the other colors. Not sure which one I would go with. I'd kinda like to use an old Mach I Grabber color for the body, and maybe try to mimic the Boss 351 stripes, which would only look good with a neutral color chassis I'm thinking.
b3772f780ef24d7e83be46363f878218.jpg

If not that, there is always old school yellow and orange flames 😉

Last edited:
Back