Lookin for Some Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamr

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
OK, I'm a dummy when it comes to motor sizes and what works with what cars.
I saw this motor and was wondering if it would be a good upgrade for a DR10 I am thinking about getting? "Reedy 3300kV brushless motor"
1692565138475.jpeg
Looks like the shaft size is the same but not sure about the motor size or mounting or electrical. Will it work with stock ESC or will I have to get t new one?
It is only 30$. Worth it for that car? Or is the stock one good for a beginner drag runner like me?
They are also selling a 3.5T for the same price. I am thinking the 3.5 is not as torquey.
Thanks for any help here.
Here are the links.
DR10
DR10 stock motor
Sling shot

Last edited:
Same size motor as stock which is a 540 so thats all good.
For that low turn of a motor, yes you will need a esc upgrade. You ideally need something that is 160A+. XR10 Pro / Pro G2s might be one to consider. Yes its a low turn motor, which is high kv. So it won't be as torquey as the stock 3300kv, but it will have alot of more power / speed.
The eco power motor is sensored so you need a sensored esc to run it, just like the XR10 Pro that I mentioned. I believe that stock 3300kv is sensorless. I mean, you could run a sensored motor on a sensorless esc, but it depends as if I ran my hobbywing 13.5T G4 motor, unplugged the sensor wire, it would just cog and not actually go. So it just depends on the brand and actual motor.

Edit: The XR10 Pros might be risking it a little. Maybe the XR8 SCT or XR8 Plus/Pro might handle it better.

Last edited:
Same size motor as stock which is a 540 so thats all good.
For that low turn of a motor, yes you will need a esc upgrade. You ideally need something that is 160A+. XR10 Pro / Pro G2s might be one to consider. Yes its a low turn motor, which is high kv. So it won't be as torquey as the stock 3300kv, but it will have alot of more power / speed.
The eco power motor is sensored so you need a sensored esc to run it, just like the XR10 Pro that I mentioned. I believe that stock 3300kv is sensorless. I mean, you could run a sensored motor on a sensorless esc, but it depends as if I ran my hobbywing 13.5T G4 motor, unplugged the sensor wire, it would just cog and not actually go. So it just depends on the brand and actual motor.

Edit: The XR10 Pros might be risking it a little. Maybe the XR8 SCT or XR8 Plus/Pro might handle it better.
I think I would want something with a little more torque so I guess I am looking for a motor with more turns than 4.5.
Funny they are advertising this motor as a drag racing motor?
So if I get the XR8 SCT ESC and this motor, I would be in the less than 200$ ballpark for a motor and ESC upgrade for the DR10. Is it worth it?
I wont be entering any competitionswith my DR10, but I do want something to turn your head when I drag with it.

Idk @bill_delong can probably explain it better than me.
I mean, for drag would you want a torquey or speedy motor? 🤔

You can always but higher turn motors in there. Maybe like a 6.5, 8.5. 10.5. 13.5. 13.5 sensored will be the most accurate power to stock 3300kv sensorless. But it all depends on gearing too.

OK I will play with stock for a while and wait for a ESC and motor combo to catch my eye.
Thanks for the info.

Back