Double duty recommendations?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Scorpion

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m considering a second r/c. I do mainly trailing and crawling. I have a Traxxas trx sport. I sometimes would like something faster also more capable in the rocks. The trx is my 1st r/c and has been ultra reliable. So that’s a must .
And would like to keep the cost around $400 or less . Almost forgot must be waterproof !
Please just recommendations not a debate.
Thanks.

I don't know from experience because I've never owned one but the TRX Summit looks like a fun rig and is designed to be a crawler with a bit more speed.

I wish Traxxas made something like the Axial Capra or that style. I’m thinking something without a body and bumpers for the rock gardens. But not a slow all the time competition crawler.
I’ll check out the Summit it would save me from having to buy another charger and battery. Thanks

Is the battery and charger the only reason that's keeping you from purchasing anything other than Traxxas?
Most RTR rigs will come with a battery and charger. Usually NiMH is what they come with.

Going faster and being more capable at crawling than the TRX4 are two opposite things. The kits that are faster are inherently not as good at crawling as the dedicated crawlers. The summit is probably the closest your going to get but the TRX4 will be more capable overall.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I’m considering a second r/c. I do mainly trailing and crawling. I have a Traxxas trx sport. I sometimes would like something faster also more capable in the rocks. The trx is my 1st r/c and has been ultra reliable. So that’s a must .
And would like to keep the cost around $400 or less . Almost forgot must be waterproof !
Please just recommendations not a debate.
Thanks.
What about the RYFT or Wraith Spawn? Or, the Element RC Enduro Gatekeeper? They are rock racers, which is a cross between a crawler and a desert racer. I'm not a fan of the slower stuff, so i prefer the Ryft, but, my GF likes crawling, so she has an Axial SCX10, an SCX24 (OK 3 of them), and an Axial Wraith and Wraith Spawn, and it seems like the Wraith Spawn is a bit faster than the others. A friend has an Element Gatekeeper, and its about as fast as her Wraith Spawn.

In all honesty, your budget is pretty low for something that's going to be capable on the rocks AND have decent speed to be fun on the trails. The Axial Wraith Spawn is one of the best out-of-the-box options within your budget, but it really needs an electronics upgrade to be suitable for any substantial crawling, which is gonna tack on another ~$150, so you'd be a bit over $500 with that. If you really want to stick within budget, I'd recommend looking at the Redcat Ridgerock. It's cheap ($130), it's a pretty capable crawler for what it is. It's got 4-wheel-steering out of the box and is very capable on the rocks. It's probably not as fast as you'd like, but you'll have plenty of headroom for upgrades that will stay within your budget. Check out the video - that truck is basically a Ridgerock in the States).

https://www.redcatracing.com/products/danchee-ridgerock

This guy does a pretty good budget build that sounds like it might be what you're looking for. He's got several videos as the truck progresses through a few upgrades. I'm not sure what the total cost was after he did electronics, but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty close within your budget.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. The TRX4 SPORT is my 1st r/c. After using it yesterday I realized just how good it is. I’m going to stick with this for what it was built for. I always trail ride and rock climb alone so I had nothing to compare it to.I still have the itch for a second r/c. Maybe I need to get something different just to change my fun once and a while. Thanks again.

In all honesty, your budget is pretty low for something that's going to be capable on the rocks AND have decent speed to be fun on the trails. The Axial Wraith Spawn is one of the best out-of-the-box options within your budget, but it really needs an electronics upgrade to be suitable for any substantial crawling, which is gonna tack on another ~$150, so you'd be a bit over $500 with that. If you really want to stick within budget, I'd recommend looking at the Redcat Ridgerock. It's cheap ($130), it's a pretty capable crawler for what it is. It's got 4-wheel-steering out of the box and is very capable on the rocks. It's probably not as fast as you'd like, but you'll have plenty of headroom for upgrades that will stay within your budget. Check out the video - that truck is basically a Ridgerock in the States).

https://www.redcatracing.com/products/danchee-ridgerock

This guy does a pretty good budget build that sounds like it might be what you're looking for. He's got several videos as the truck progresses through a few upgrades. I'm not sure what the total cost was after he did electronics, but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty close within your budget.

wow thanks a lot just purchased #40 in my Rc collection grabbed that danchee ridgerock even tho i thought i would never own a rock crawler.

Going faster and being more capable at crawling than the TRX4 are too opposite things. The kits that are faster are inherently not as good at crawling as the dedicated crawlers. The summit is probably the closest your going to get but the TRX4 will be more capable overall.
^^^^THIS^^^^^

@1Scorpion You are in search of a unicorn. If you find it, let us know. 😉

My TRX4 has the tall, heavy, scaled Defender body and it is very capable on rocks. The Sport, with the significantly lighter and lcg, should be even better. Have you added any brass weights down low (portal covers, diff covers, metal wheels, etc)?
0627211418a_Burst01.jpg
0627211837.jpg

You could do another sport and put a two speed tranny in it off Jennys rc for around 50$. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You could do another sport and put a two speed tranny in it off Jennys rc for around 50$. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Sport come with a 2 speed transmission as a standard like the other TRX4s?

Sport is single speed
Or i got jipped. 😂
I'd never researched the Sport. I just assumed it was 2 speed like the other TRX4s.
The 2 speed is nice, but that crawling gear is painfully slow to walk with. I actually just keep my Defender in the fast gear all the time, and it does just fine for slow speed crawling. Don't really see a reason to even have that molasses slow gear.

Last edited:
The 2 speed kit directly from Traxxas is 50ish bucks. Servo included!

Anyway, the trx4 is a pretty capable crawler, insanely durable, and you can make it better for not much money.

Maybe get something else for bashing? A used Slash 4x4 fits in your budget. Or some kind of MT. Or some kind of Arrma. Or, or, or...

I wouldn't recommend the 2.2 Wraith, it's discontinued, an old design and crappy quality compared to todays rigs, especially the TRX4.

I'd never researched the Sport. I just assumed it was 2 speed like the other TRX4s.
The 2 speed is nice, but that crawling gear is painfully slow to walk with. I actually just keep my Defender in the fast gear all the time, and it does just fine for slow speed crawling. Don't really see a reason to even have that molasses slow gear.
My understanding is that the Sport doesn't have locking diffs either.

Back