Double duty recommendations?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be down to travel anywhere to RC with the guys here if I were still physically able to do so. We don't have anything around me that is fun to drive over cept a flat field.
And not to mention covid!

You gotta have a skatepark somewhere, or some woods! You could also make or buy some small ramps, I made 3 different carboard ramps

Okay I took the the ecx Temper out on the trail. I’ve got a long uphill trail with a few places for rock crawling. This being my second RC I can only compare it to my TRX 4 Sport. It handled the climbing on the trail just fine. I’m still working on getting the turning radius a bit tighter. Being lighter and smaller the the TRX 4. Some of the brush affects it more. It’s good at side hilling. Climbing steep inclines it doesn’t seem to flip backwards.
There again it’s lighter and smaller. Also not as top heavy. On the trail it was affected by the ground clearance of the straight axles. Climbing the rock piles it seems very capable.
My overall impression is this is a very good crawler at this price point. It was jus a little over $150.
Please feel free to ask any questions. After I’ve had it awhile I’ll post up on durability.

And not to mention covid!

You gotta have a skatepark somewhere, or some woods! You could also make or buy some small ramps, I made 3 different carboard ramps
With my disability, I can only venture about 25 yards from my apartment. And in that area, there is only one little mound, and unless we jump 30 feet to clear a dumpster, it is only good for 15 mph blasts over it or so.

I have plans to get a ramp made.

Last edited:
You mean the ECX Temper?

I've heard pros and cons about the ESC rigs, you like 'em? What are the weaknesses of the brand and rig? Would you recommend?
I had an amp years ago. It was a great little truck. I think it was like $125 rtr. The parts were cheap to upgrade and it never broke on me. I put a little HW system in it and a new servo and it was great to just let anyone drive it. It wasn't on the level of like arrma 3s cars are nowdays but it was just a great cheap little reliable truck.

With my disability, I can only venture about 25 yards from my apartment. And in that area, there is only one little mound, and unless we jump 30 feet to clear a dumpster, it is only good for 15 mph blasts over it or so.

I have plans to get a ramp made.
Oh, I thought you were younger and more "able"! Never mind that though, yeah, you can make a ramp out of cardboard like what I did, a wood ramp if you have the tools (you probably do), or a ramp out of a plastic sheet and metal legs or something. You can get pre-made RC ramps like the ones from T-Bone-Racing (they are nice, pre-built, but a bit pricey), or you could get plastic ramps, like the ones for BMX bikes or MTBs (mountain bikes). Those are ~$40 last time I checked on Amazon). If you're looking for value, strength, and customizablilty, make a ramp out of wood. If you're not launching heavy RCs off it and want convenience, cheapness, lightweight, and versitility, make one out of cardboard, and you can do it right in your apartment! And lastly, if you're looking for ease of use, strength, get a pre-made one.

Your apartment has a parking lot, right? You can use the ramps there too, just keep in mind that the pavement is harder on the RCs, albiet cleaner.

We've made plenty of cardboard ramps, but as our RC's have become bigger and heavier, it's going to require something solid.

I don't really care for the T-bone ramp design. The reviews I have seen are saying it breaks down over time (which looking at the tubing used - very understandable), and the new design with protruding bolt heads is destroying peoples' chassis. It's just a terrible design all around.

I have a wooden one modeled up, but it will be $350 to get it made.

We've made plenty of cardboard ramps, but as our RC's have become bigger and heavier, it's going to require something solid.

I don't really care for the T-bone ramp design. The reviews I have seen are saying it breaks down over time (which looking at the tubing used - very understandable), and the new design with protruding bolt heads is destroying peoples' chassis. It's just a terrible design all around.

I have a wooden one modeled up, but it will be $350 to get it made.
Oh, ok. As I said, cardboard ramps aren't for things like Xmaxxs, unless you re-inforce the ramp with metal or wood strips. My R/Cs are both less than 2.5 pounds each (my buggy is the heaviest of the two at ~2.2lbs), and I like to really cover the ramps, strengthen, and protect the surface with Gorilla (and other tapes) tape. I also don't use them frequently (that reminds me, I should get the ramps out soon). I haven't bought the TBR ramps either, too expensive and overkill, plus I have ramps already. Exposed screw heads are just stupid, use countersunk flush screws TBR! Seems their ramps aren't on the same level as their bumpers (I have one of their front bumpers on my 144001, very good quality and finish!).

Whaaat?! $350 for a wood ramp? That better be a revolutionary ramp design! Are you using top end treated wood, assembled by a professional craftsman! I'd recommend go to Home Depot or Lowes or somewhere, buy the wood yourself for $50, and build it your self. If you need directions, search on YT "Wood MTB ramp" or "DIY small mountain bike ramp", and you'll get some helpful videos. If you go by their ramp dimensions, remember to like double the width of the ramp, as bike ramps are a bit narrower than RC ramps (you have more control of a bike than an RC at high speed). Be sure to search for smaller, portable ramps, or you'll find videos of people building full size dirt jump or slope style wood ramps 8 feet high!

Oh, ok. As I said, cardboard ramps aren't for things like Xmaxxs, unless you re-inforce the ramp with metal or wood strips. My R/Cs are both less than 2.5 pounds each (my buggy is the heaviest of the two at ~2.2lbs), and I like to really cover the ramps, strengthen, and protect the surface with Gorilla (and other tapes) tape. I also don't use them frequently (that reminds me, I should get the ramps out soon). I haven't bought the TBR ramps either, too expensive and overkill, plus I have ramps already. Exposed screw heads are just stupid, use countersunk flush screws TBR! Seems their ramps aren't on the same level as their bumpers (I have one of their front bumpers on my 144001, very good quality and finish!).

Whaaat?! $350 for a wood ramp? That better be a revolutionary ramp design! Are you using top end treated wood, assembled by a professional craftsman! I'd recommend go to Home Depot or Lowes or somewhere, buy the wood yourself for $50, and build it your self. If you need directions, search on YT "Wood MTB ramp" or "DIY small mountain bike ramp", and you'll get some helpful videos. If you go by their ramp dimensions, remember to like double the width of the ramp, as bike ramps are a bit narrower than RC ramps (you have more control of a bike than an RC at high speed). Be sure to search for smaller, portable ramps, or you'll find videos of people building full size dirt jump or slope style wood ramps 8 feet high!
I grew up in a wood shop. I worked for a few years as a cabinet maker. I could build one if not disabled, and living in an apartment. The design I drew up uses dense core high end plywood, lightweight design, and weather treated. It is actually a decent price considering it will be made by a professional and delivered.

I grew up in a wood shop. I worked for a few years as a cabinet maker. I could build one if not disabled, and living in an apartment. The design I drew up uses dense core high end plywood, lightweight design, and weather treated. It is actually a decent price considering it will be made by a professional and delivered.
Oh, cool! You must be itching to build one then! I was mostly kidding about the price thing, but you checked every box lol! I think it might be overkill though, but if you have the budget, go for it, if it's a bit pricey for you, go with normal plywood and stuff!

The 2 speed kit directly from Traxxas is 50ish bucks. Servo included!

Anyway, the trx4 is a pretty capable crawler, insanely durable, and you can make it better for not much money.

Maybe get something else for bashing? A used Slash 4x4 fits in your budget. Or some kind of MT. Or some kind of Arrma. Or, or, or...

I totally agree. I have the TRX with 2-speed and locking diffs. The diffs should be unlocked if you are going fast, it's prone to toppling. For the gearing in I believe the TRX sport lacks the taller gearing and should be fine for crawling. If you want more speed, you can add the 2-speed trans and it will go plenty fast and crawl plenty slow. But you will want the diffs unlocked for going fast. If you want to crawl, swap the motor for a higher torque lower speed motor and your sport will climb like a goat.

Personally I don't recommend trying to make a single R/C do everything well. Because you will end up spending a lot of money for something that does everything poorly. If you want to go fast buy a fast car/truck. Go with Traxxas they are nearly indestructible. Go with Aarma because they look good.

I totally agree. I have the TRX with 2-speed and locking diffs. The diffs should be unlocked if you are going fast, it's prone to toppling. For the gearing in I believe the TRX sport lacks the taller gearing and should be fine for crawling. If you want more speed, you can add the 2-speed trans and it will go plenty fast and crawl plenty slow. But you will want the diffs unlocked for going fast. If you want to crawl, swap the motor for a higher torque lower speed motor and your sport will climb like a goat.

Personally I don't recommend trying to make a single R/C do everything well. Because you will end up spending a lot of money for something that does everything poorly. If you want to go fast buy a fast car/truck. Go with Traxxas they are nearly indestructible. Go with Aarma because they look good.
Couldn't you throw the taller gearing into a Sport instead of the stock lower gearing?

Traxxas and Arrma are both tough, Arrma cars look cool, but also perform very well as bashers, espeacially with some upgrades. Arrma tough! Funny thing is, Traxxas wanted in on that action too, so they actually copyrighted "Traxxas Tough"!

I agree, in life, you just can't have it all. A jack of all trades isn't a master at anything. Closest thing you'll get to a basher/crawler thing is either a rock bouncer like the Axial Ryft, or the Traxxas Summit, which is designed to be a mix of a basher and crawler. Both are fun, but don't excel at bashing or crawling. If you're gonna dump a whole load of money into a rig to make it things that it's not, why not at that point just get two or three specific rigs that are good in their own ground? :)

Back