do baja gears cost 400??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_desert

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok so i was soft bashing with the baja last week..didnt do any jumps or wot it for more than 2 seconds..while driving it i can hear jingling sounds in the engine..so i drive it back to the house and all of a sudden it stops..i press the throttle and it just revs doesn't move..so i get it back home..open the plastic holder for the gear..i see one big gear which turns the tires(nothing happened to it) and a small gear that fell down..the metal area around that gear was soo scratched up and the plastic around it melted...the round peice that holds the gear fell off too and its loose..so i take it to the lhs and they fix it..the price for fixing it was 400!! how could it ever cost 400? he said all the gears were broken...is this guy lying or what? and ya how did it get broken? i got it used and only ran it for around 15 minutes max.. what went wrong?

oo ya pls no harsh comments..

More than likely your pinion bolt either broke or came loose and fell out which caused the damage you described. The plastic you see melted is probably the seal on the clutch holder bearing which heated up and melted or perhaps the holder itself which is plastic.

Worse case, you would need to replace the pinion, clutch bell if the end got damaged, clutch bell holder and/or bearings. Less than an hours work and $50 worth of parts at most.

The only drive train gears in the rig are the small pinion which came off, the plastic spur and the gears in the tranny. If the pinion came off, no other drive train gear would have gotten damaged.

Sounds like whoever fixed your rig and charged you $400 is banking on the fact you don't know anything about your rig.

Basically what I tell women that don't know anything about real cars, and I am not saying this in a negative way at all so please do not be offended...

If they cannot show you what is broken or in need of repair before any agreement is made, walk away. If they cannot give you the old parts back, or at least show them to you, there's a good chance they're being shady. Demand they show you what was replaced, give you a write-up of all work done, and some form of warranty on their work. If you took it home, started it up, gave a blip of the throttle and it broke, would they honestly fix it or would they tell you that you've done something wrong to cause the problem?

$400 is over 1/2 retail of the vehicle, not many major repairs would yeild this high of a price tag. Seriously, if you are willing to learn how to repair your own vehicle, this is the site to do it. You'll feel much better knowing what's going on inside your rig, rather than trusting a theif to repair it.

i contacted the guy that sold me the thing he said he can't do anything about it and blah blah blah..and i let the lhs fix it cause they built and sold over 300 bajas so they know what there doing but the price was waaaaaay to high...what do you think go the gears to get broken?...i thought the clutch just blew and i would fix it for around a 100..but gears in the engine or wtv they said was the first time i ever heard of such things..how many gears does a baja have btw? isnt it just two?

More than likely your pinion bolt either broke or came loose and fell out which caused the damage you described. The plastic you see melted is probably the seal on the clutch holder bearing which heated up and melted or perhaps the holder itself which is plastic.

Worse case, you would need to replace the pinion, clutch bell if the end got damaged, clutch bell holder and/or bearings. Less than an hours work and $50 worth of parts at most.

The only drive train gears in the rig are the small pinion which came off, the plastic spur and the gears in the tranny. If the pinion came off, no other drive train gear would have gotten damaged.

Sounds like whoever fixed your rig and charged you $400 is banking on the fact you don't know anything about your rig.

sorry rob didnt see ur comment...
well it was the pinion gear that fell off ...i have an aluminum spur so nothing happened to it...and the thing behind the pinion gear fell off from the engine..i think it was making the jingling sound when i bashed it...

The pinion bolt holds both the pinon gear and clutch bell to the clutch bell carrier. Neither actually attach to the engine itself. When the pinion fell off, the clutch bell would have been loose and jingled around once the clutch shoes disengaged.

The engine has no gears inside of it. The only gears are the pinion and spur which you can see when you remove the spur cover, and the tranny gears which are all metal. I believe there are 4 or 5 of them, but I would have to double check.

thats what the guy told me...he said all the gears were broken! I'm still not gonna pay for it untill i know exactly what is broken...ok lets say everything behind the pinion gear is broken..would it reach 400 for parts to fix it?

No.

The only things behind the pinion gear is the clutch bell and the clutch bell holder with bearings.

Do you have a manual. If so, look at the exploded view and you will see what there is.

haha I'm too lazy to go and find the manual..

ok how much does the clutch bell and the clutch bell holder and the pinion cost?

All HPI stock parts....

Pinion: $6.00
Clutch Bell: $29.00
Clutch Bell Holder: $10.00
Bearings: $4.00 each

wow thats cheap! gotta go to the lhs and have a little fight with the guy :p thanx for your help rob

Bud, I hate to put it like this but... you need to do a little research on your own. We are more than happy to answer anything that confuses you but you need to do some of the legwork yourself. Start looking at some of the online stores to get an idea for the price of parts (stormer racing, Amain, or tower hobbies is a good place to start), ask about your local hobby shop's hourly rate and ask them to save all parts so you can inspect them. GET OUT THE MANUAL!!! This will save you a whole lot of heartache and keep your pocketbook a little heavier in the long run. This is a great hobby, the majority of the fun is in the wrenching (in my opinion) so go have some fun. Check out the large scale forum for some great tips.

thanx guys..and haha the manual turned out to be right infront of me!..i looked over the parts..i think i understand..

sounds like you got bent over and didnt event get the reach around service.

sounds like you had a pinion bolt break. worst case, new clutch bell, new pinion bolt new spur gear. (only guessing as there are no pics to see original damage.

new clutch bell, UPGRADED Turtle Racing bell 52.00 Pinion bolt .50 Spur Gear 7.00 and new carrier if it was needed 8.00, total of parts 67.50 or there about, now I'm not a mechanic, but i play one in imaginary life, and theres no way 332.50 was labor. unless they are chargeing 175.00/hr labor.

Next time you have a problem, be sure to post up before you pay somebody else to fix it.

It may be something simple and you can be walked through the repairing it yourself.

Back