disc brake rubbing on clutch bell

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordz

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
my savvy has this problem where half of the rear disc is rubbing on the clutch bell, it's worn a groove into the disc now, but when i replace the discs i know its gonna be a PITA. how close is the disc to the bell stock? I remember having a landing on the heatsink before I knew that there was a rollbar in the box (WTF wasn't it installed?!!) but yeah, i've torn it down and nothing is bent.... any ideas?

They run very close together stock. I know after a bad crash my engine moved a hair and it was rubbing on the disc as well. If you have your gear mesh right it really shouldn't rub, if it is you may have to check for a cracked engine mounting plate or something.
good luck

Are you running a different clutch bell, or engine mount? Mabye you could've gotten ahold of the wrong one somehow? Have you changed either of these in the past?

nah mate, the truck is three weeks old. I only noticed the disc was rubbing on the clutch bell about two weeks ago after I had that stack that moved the engine and stripped the spur because of it. Replaced the spur, checked nothing was bent and the gear mesh was fine, but just an hour ago the bearing in my clutch bell gave out so i'm thinking it must've been under either too much load or heat becuase of the disc rubbing on it. after a tear down nothing is cracked or bent at all. I'm thinking I might just take the disc off and run with one disc brake, hopefully it still slows down alright =)

One thing to check is to see if your clutch bell came loose. If the screw came loose it will move out far enough to rub on the disc. Mine was rubbing a tiny bit, like you said, so I just took the disc off tonight and grinded it down a little bit to give it the clearance it needs for the clutch bell. Now I have one disc regular size and one a bit smaller, but no more rubbing. So its fixed now. I would do that if I were you, because it won't work if you take one disc off.

cheers

ahh ok, thanks boody. The bell screw was as tight as a nuns nasty so it wasn't that. I think the whole engine/mount is on a 2-3mm lean downwards which is causing the greif. I will take a grinder to the disc when I get my new bell and bearing.

(can't think of a good way to shave it unless the truck is driving it like a lathe?)

Ya I just held it with a pair of pliers on the grinder and grinded it down to the first row of the little holes drilled in the disc. That pretty much worked.