12 Year Project Version 157.82.37C.787

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbpwrd240

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,

Well its been 12 years since I bought my first T-maxx pro .15 at Action RC in Oklahoma City. The truck was running in the high 500-600 dollar range back then and it was the cream of the crop as far as monster trucks even with its horrible .15 motor, poorly made fuel tank and the first rendition of the EZ Start system which all left alot to be desired.

The T-maxx set the way for Truggys and monster trucks alike including now top flight cars like the Revo. Ever since the T-maxx was released folks have been changing and tuning and improving their maxxes with no stopping insight.

I really like some of the builds I see on here and although this is definitly a smaller scale build utilizing off the shelf parts she is still my baby and as such I wanna show it off before I go and tare it up.

Since I bought my Trruck I now have a 9 year old, a fiance and a house so needless to say this truck sat on the side lines for many years and just when I would get around to adding something it would brake or money would need to go elsewhere. Well finnaly I almost have my newest rendition of this car together.

Here is a picture of the truck as it started its transformation from .15 Pro Monster Truck to Huge Monster Truck.

100_0930.jpg

Next I wanted the biggest wheels possible. With these wheels I achieved my life long goal of being able to run over curbs!!!:D Now the neghboorhood was my race track. Being able to go over things deffinitly had its fun but things were still a miss.

100_0943.jpg.html

Then I found my new toy the Monster Pirate Tires, these tires are just awesome. They are wide and have lots of climbing grip.

100_0943.jpg

100_0938.jpg

IMGP0997.jpg

And after the OFNA tires I wanted a truggy build so the truck got torn down again and I started to convert it to a bashing truggy. I went with waterproof servos and some Bow tie tires as well as some big bore shocks. I also used 10-12 Back oxide screws in about 80% of the car. Here are some current pics.

IMGP1001.jpg

IMGP1007.jpg

IMGP1013.jpg

Here is a list of upgrades on the truck right now. Please keep in mind I understand this isnt a true truggy as it doesn't have a center diff and the plains are wrong for the diff and trans. Also remember alot of the 3.3 options etc werent out when I started working on this car some 12 years ago.

Drive Train
Traxxas Posi Locking Diff Gear Rr Only
Traxxas Forward only conversion Lighten Trans
Kimbrough/Traxxas Spur Gear 32 pitch 64, 66, 68, 70, 72 big off the line small top end Double the slipper pegs
MIP CVD's Center
Proline CVD's Rear/Front (Wide Maxx Kit)
Hub Adapters 23mm Dynamite

Electronics
Traxxas Stearing Servo 125oz waterproof
Traxxas Throttle Servo Waterproof
Dynamite Fail safe Black/red
Traxxas Wiring Harness Black/Red, Charger Cable
Team Orion Receiver pack 1100 ni-mh Rechargable
MIP Temp gauge Black On board

Engine
CVEC Muffler Blue
CVEC Rear exhoust manifold Black/Silver Shimmed at manifold
GSI Air Filter Elbow Black
Motor Savor Air Filter
Racers Edge Bell gear 16,18,20 tooth small off the line big top end
MIP Clutch Heavy duty clutch
MIP, RRP Flywheel Heavy, Light

Suspension
Traxxas Shocks Big Bore T-maxx Springs
Proline Maxx Suspension Kit Wide A-arms (Wide Maxx Kit)
Proline Tie Rods Titanium (Wide Maxx Kit)
Proline Shock Towers 3 Position (Wide Maxx Kit)
Lunsford Hinge Pins Titanium

Other
RPM Bulk head braces Blue
Proline Body Crowd Pleazer 2.0 (Revo)
Trinity Body braces Blue aluminum
Ebay Body posts Yellow nylon
Traxxas Bumpers Silver Aluminum
XTM Servo Skid plate Blue aluminum
Black Oxide Screws Coated Steel
T-Bone Front Bumper Truggy Bumper

Stearing
Proline Tie Rods Titanium
RPM Tie rod ends Blue X-Strong
Traxxas Stearing post Aluminum
RPM Axle Carriers Blue
RPM Pillow Ball Caps Silver Aluminum

Tires
Proline Tires & Foam Bow-Tie3.2" ith Foam Inserts
Proline Rims Velocity 1/2" Offset

Fuel Accessories
Dubro Fuel hose clips Silver M/L
OFNA Fuel Clips Yellow
Proline Fuel Tank Upgraded size and no primer
Unknown Fuel Filter Fule Filter and Primer

Brakes
RRP Disc brake Blue aluminum
OFNA Collars Blue
OFNA Servo Horns Yellow

I'm still waiting on my new Crowd Pleazer 2.0 body and my o.s. .18cv-rx to get here as well as a few more parts.I plan on making some improvements such as a flat battery pack, cut down skids and spending some seriuse time testing some spring and shock oil combos.

So what do you guys think? I will update this with more pictures of the build as well as what the truck looked like back 12 years ago as I get closer to finishing it.

Last edited:
Only thing I don't like on your build is the pro-line fuel tank. I've read some baaaaaaaad things about it.

I like your old school Bolink Corvette body. :thumbup: Looks like you had some Jumbo Kong tires on it at one time?
Have you noticed any performance differences between the rear exhaust and side exhaust?

Rear exhoust is supposed to give you more bottom end but my motor runs so ad there is no telling. I'm hoping that when the new motor gets here I will be blown away.

I mocked up the Crowd Pleazer 2.0 body and it looks great!!!

As for the gas tank I decided to order the larger and lower OFNA tank and I already have a set of UE Fuel tank mounts for it so I am going to see if I can put the tank where my reciever is and move the reciever back to where the fuel tank was. This should also give me a better balanced truck since Ill be moving alot of fluid weight to the front half of the truck.

I also added a single rotor style misbehaving RC brake system. I used a single carbon disk and double the calipers with the outer set being RRP titanium and the inner set being stock. I used some ball point pen springs to make caliper return springs so the brakes wont drag. It took a little working to make the springs wide enough so they wouldnt catch in between the calipers and the mounting screws but I got it working smoothly now.

After I get the fuel tank mounted and I paint the body Ill add some updated pictures.

I like it!!!! The best truck I ever had was the first Tmaxx and someone put an OS .18 in it. I never had a problem with it. I beat the fool out of it and never broke anything. If I did that with any other RC I own, I'd be ordering all kinds of parts to fix them. You truck looks good!

Well I worked the old motor back to life yesterday. Sort of....

I managed to get the motor to run by flooding the carb and then giving it gas. I can get it to idle but it idles way to high and it keeps trying to take off. Eery now and then the motor for no reason skyrockets its revs. If I hit the brakes it dies.

The proline gas tank is leaking so I'm glad I got the other one on the way.

The rear cvec exhoust brought back its old problems but some tweeking and a soda can shim has the whole system sealed back up again.

The manifold screws were either loose or one managed to back out while I was running it. I replaced them and solved the manifold issue.

The biggest issue is the spur gear to pinion mesh. I ran this motor before but I can't seem to get the motor to mesh with the spur. It works for a few minutes then it manages to back off enough to spin free of the spur. Needless to say this is eating spur gears. I'm not sure if the motor is moving or what. Keep in mind this is the frist time the truck has ran in 5 years probobly.

Well its back outside to try tunning the idle and to get it to stop dying.

Have you have the piston out of the engine? If installed backwards most often they will act like you’re describing?

That CVEC pipe and extremely long header isn’t doing you any favors either, except for bottom end torque (mainly from the header). Being a rear exhaust doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bottom end pipe, it depends on the pipe design, and length of the header being a major factor. Back in the day the cvec was an ok pipe, now there are much better choices.

Check for loose transmission mounting screws and if not loose the problem will be with the engine mount. Are you using locktite on the engine mount?

SNOOK WINS!!!

Indeed the problem with the gear mesh was the motor mount to the motor, I noticed it after I went back out as I was waiting on my glow charger to charge up again. I have tightened those and fixed the gear mesh problem. I guess I forgot to tighten the motor back up when I had it out.

I never uninstalled the piston. I think the problem was the idle needle on the carb. I was running it so loose it fell out. When I replaced it with a spare the car was MUCH faster and I didnt need to run the needle so loose. Its important to note that a large amount of gunk build up did come out after the needle change and the motor instantly woke up.

Then I lost an exhoust tip to the cvec muffler. (Anyone have one????)

I'm constantly having my dynamite 23mm wheel adapters coming loose. I keep having to track down axle pins and tires.

I still can't get the carb not to close all the way when I hit the brakes. I have adjusted everything to no avail. I noticed the throttle arm doesn't stop going back at anypoint it just goes backwords all the way to the block. If I could fasten a spacer of the right size between the arm and the motor that would probably work for the time being. I think the arm on the carb where the low speed needle is went bad.

Becouse of the problem with it dying when I hit the brakes I'm still having issues but I finally got it to idle and to hit second gear. I even ran it for about 7 miutes without it dying. I was babying the brakes though.

I think I'm actually doing quite well considering everything about storing this motor and caring for it was done wrong. Dirt in the motor, yep. Gas left in the tank... Yep. Gunk build up in the motor??? You bet ya!!!

I am actually hopefull that I may make this motor work for a little while. Temps never got above 220 even after a 10 minute session of high speed passes while checking second gear.

I am hoping to get a video tomorrow so you guys can tell me if its running lean rich etc or maybe give me some tunning tips.

Most recent imporvments.

1)
OFNA Violator fuel tank
UE Mounts
Relocated to the front half of the truck for better weight distribution

2)
Relocated Reciever

3)
Mocked up the Crowd Pleazer 2.0 meant for the revo.
Body holes just barely make it on the 4910 chassis

Here is some pictures.
IMGP1033.jpg

IMGP1035.jpg

IMGP1037.jpg

IMGP1042.jpg

IMGP1043.jpg

I also managed to add a few bits to my sueprmaxx
IMGP1041.jpg

More to come.....

Back