Custom Speedrun car build?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so I've been thinking I should just build a custom speedrun car so i was thinking something along the lines of the 202mph rc car in design such as the "transmition" design on it probaly something surprass hobby stuff to start like this motor at 520kv and some 12s ESC the motor can handle 57 Volts witch is 12s correct? or a max5 combo but thats only capable of 8s and the max4 is capable of 12s but its like $800 whats a good lipo battery that outputs lots or C's? also whats better to run dual 4s or single 8s? whats more efficent and will pruduce more power also what charger to go along with those batterys?

Ok so I'm thinking I'm going to buy a peice of plain metal from home depot and cutting it to size also how would i re create the soild straight axle design in the back what should i use for the axle to go through? also want to do the same thing with the rims on this.

If you have any suggestions or ideas feel free to post them here also I'm going for 150 mph maybe

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 9.19.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 9.19.16 PM.png

Ok so I've been thinking I should just build a custom speedrun car so i was thinking something along the lines of the 202mph rc car in design such as the "transmition" design on it probaly something surprass hobby stuff to start like this motor at 520kv and some 12s ESC the motor can handle 57 Volts witch is 12s correct? or a max5 combo but thats only capable of 8s and the max4 is capable of 12s but its like $800 whats a good lipo battery that outputs lots or C's? also whats better to run dual 4s or single 8s? whats more efficent and will pruduce more power also what charger to go along with those batterys?

Ok so I'm thinking I'm going to buy a peice of plain metal from home depot and cutting it to size also how would i re create the soild straight axle design in the back what should i use for the axle to go through? also want to do the same thing with the rims on this.

If you have any suggestions or ideas feel free to post them here also I'm going for 150 mph maybe

View attachment 153220

View attachment 153221
Start with something cheap and simple. Get a rustler or bandit and keep pushing it until you reach the maximum. Then you can upgrade motor, esc, chassis, body, tires and learn slowly what works and what doesn't. People who are into speedruns have years long journey until they achieved some impressive speed. It's not as simple just putting the biggest motor you can fit.

I don't have a lot of experience in high speed cars, my fastest car is 61mph mainly because I don't have appropriate place where I can run, I usually go to a big parking lot. Some people cah hit over 80mph with stock vilenion

Get a limitless and hop it up. Way easier. I dont think you understand the full scope of what would go in to scratch building your own 200+MPH RC or the cost involved. Heck, just tricking out a limitless is going to cost some pretty big bucks.

Get a limitless and hop it up. Way easier. I dont think you understand the full scope of what would go in to scratch building your own 200+MPH RC or the cost involved. Heck, just tricking out a limitless is going to cost some pretty big bucks.
I'm not going for 200 just over 100 plus i know a couple people that can make all these parts for me

I'm not going for 200 just over 100 plus i know a couple people that can make all these parts for me
I am pretty sure you can get 2wd slash to 100 miles an hour. With good aerodynamic body, 3670 motor from hoss or Maxx, 4s or maybe even 6s esc, grp tires, hoss axles, lcg chassis and a little bit of weight up front , maybe a drag slash wheelie bar just in case and that ting will be flying.

Or just like graywolf said, limitless with max6 combo is 100 miles + no mods.

Limitless is a much better platform, no questions about it. I think a lot can be learned if you start with cheap 2wd car and trying to make it fast. Traxxas 2wd transmission is all metal gears and it can take a lot of power until you break something
Also 2wd platform is modular, you can get factory lcg slash chassis, or carbon drag slash conversion like this one for 99$, or you can make custom, or even simple and cheap solution like I did to make 1/7 scale stampede by cutting the chassis and extending with aluminum L profile.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1662394726780.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662394726780.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I am pretty sure you can get 2wd slash to 100 miles an hour. With good aerodynamic body, 3670 motor from hoss or Maxx, 4s or maybe even 6s esc, grp tires, hoss axles, lcg chassis and a little bit of weight up front , maybe a drag slash wheelie bar just in case and that ting will be flying.

Or just like graywolf said, limitless with max6 combo is 100 miles + no mods.

Limitless is a much better platform, no questions about it. I think a lot can be learned if you start with cheap 2wd car and trying to make it fast. Traxxas 2wd transmission is all metal gears and it can take a lot of power until you break something
You need a 6S setting up with a 2200kv motor with 1:1 gearing to make a Slash/Rustler/Bandit hit 100+. I believe the Rustler and the Bandit are better platforms because it has a more narrow chassis than the slash but these days though Id just grab the limitless. Way better platform

Last edited:
Addict, unless you have a dead flat, dead smooth run out without bumps, ripples, wide seams, dips and rises, stay clear of an unsuspended chassis. Dead axle will hop all about like popcorn on a hot skillet without suspension. At best it will scrub off a lot of speed. At worst it will be uncontrollable above ~60mph [~100kph]. That's the lower threshold where 'speed' begins.

Guys here are giving you good advice, be it starting with a 2WD or the Limitless package. Another option to consider is the Hobao 1/7 Extreme VT2. Looked at this chassis myself, although not sure of its availability. Link to Y.T. vid below. If nothing else, give it a look for some take-away ideas on your build. Cheers 'AC'

Hobao VT2

Addict, unless you have a dead flat, dead smooth run out without bumps, ripples, wide seams, dips and rises, stay clear of an unsuspended chassis. Dead axle will hop all about like popcorn on a hot skillet without suspension. At best it will scrub off a lot of speed. At worst it will be uncontrollable above ~60mph [~100kph]. That's the lower threshold where 'speed' begins.

Guys here are giving you good advice, be it starting with a 2WD or the Limitless package. Another option to consider is the Hobao 1/7 Extreme VT2. Looked at this chassis myself, although not sure of its availability. Link to Y.T. vid below. If nothing else, give it a look for some take-away ideas on your build. Cheers 'AC'

Hobao VT2
the road I'm running it on is mostly flat i will take a look at the hobao
Thanks for all the advice the only reason i wanted to build a custom one is because it would take me almost 8 months of saving up and then if the slash breaks i have to wait longer should i try to find some used slider of a speedrun chassis?

the road I'm running it on is mostly flat i will take a look at the hobao
Thanks for all the advice the only reason i wanted to build a custom one is because it would take me almost 8 months of saving up and then if the slash breaks i have to wait longer should i try to find some used slider of a speedrun chassis?
Building anything custom will be much more expensive than buying something mass produced.

That's why I suggest cheap 2wd model. Get used rustler for 70$, and then keep upgrading it. Start with cheap brushless sistem from Jenny rc, or if you can squeeze a little extra for hobby wing max10 sct. After some time when you destroy stock tires get grp. Get drag slash wheelie bar. When you reach maximum convert to longer slash lcg wheelbase, than get some aerodinamic body. If you pop drive shafts get one from hoss or slash ultimate. It will be a long journey and you start with 70$ used rc

Building anything custom will be much more expensive than buying something mass produced.

That's why I suggest cheap 2wd model. Get used rustler for 70$, and then keep upgrading it. Start with cheap brushless sistem from Jenny rc, or if you can squeeze a little extra for hobby wing max10 sct. After some time when you destroy stock tires get grp. Get drag slash wheelie bar. When you reach maximum convert to longer slash lcg wheelbase, than get some aerodinamic body. If you pop drive shafts get one from hoss or slash ultimate. It will be a long journey and you start with 70$ used rc
hmmm are you using Pounds in money becuase i can't even find a slash slider or a rustler under $130 most of them are $150+ but upgraded

hmmm are you using Pounds in money becuase i can't even find a slash slider or a rustler under $130 most of them are $150+ but upgraded
Check FB marketplace and offer up daily and soon or later good deal will pop up. There is a lot of unrealistic prices that people want and they never sell, and good deals sale the same day when someone post. But you can find decent deals, just have to be patient, I bought limitless for 240 brand new in a box, or infraction roller for 150. Couple weeks ago I bought erevo 2.0 with batteries for 200$ or very nice shape brushed rustler for 65$.

Check FB marketplace and offer up daily and soon or later good deal will pop up. There is a lot of unrealistic prices that people want and they never sell, and good deals sale the same day when someone post. But you can find decent deals, just have to be patient, I bought limitless for 240 brand new in a box, or infraction roller for 150. Couple weeks ago I bought erevo 2.0 with batteries for 200$ or very nice shape brushed rustler for 65$.
ok thanks

Oh I wish I had the money that’s a steal for $500 but this is why I want to build one because I don’t have enough money

Here’s my Bandit!! Started off as a stock VXL got it to mid 70’s I’ve changed the transmission to the 272, running a 2700kv, 150a ESC, 31/50 .32p gears. My issue is tires I’ve blown up GRP’s, foams, Hoons and Powerhobby’s. Currently I’m slowly adding weight to the buggy to keep it on the ground. It’s been along road but a lot of fun. Good luck with your high speed build they can be a lot of fun and frustrating at the same time. Happy RC’ing Y’all 🇺🇸❤️🤘🏽🏁

8DDB616E-E60E-43F2-B722-C454B36E1A6A.jpeg

Here’s my Bandit!! Started off as a stock VXL got it to mid 70’s I’ve changed the transmission to the 272, running a 2700kv, 150a ESC, 31/50 .32p gears. My issue is tires I’ve blown up GRP’s, foams, Hoons and Powerhobby’s. Currently I’m slowly adding weight to the buggy to keep it on the ground. It’s been along road but a lot of fun. Good luck with your high speed build they can be a lot of fun and frustrating at the same time. Happy RC’ing Y’all 🇺🇸❤️🤘🏽🏁

View attachment 153360
Does the bandit have the same upper front chassis plate that the Rustler has?

Does the bandit have the same upper front chassis plate that the Rustler has?
The 2WD does. I know they make plates now to attach to the front but I’m not sure if I can still use the stock body. Do you have any idea if I can?
Hi vudu. How about a body-off walk through on your exceptional speed runner? Racing minds would like to know. . . :thumbs-up:

'AC'
Sure why not. Here’s some pictures trying different things out over the time. Since I’m new to speed builds I’ve tried several motors but have always used the Spektrum 150 ESC I have a castle 6S I might use but most likely it’s going into my Senton. Here’s my FB group of anyone would like to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/657...om/groups/657445268619013/?ref=share&exp=9594

Attachments

• 3A8CDAB0-C81B-4D37-8BAD-C566903D37FE.jpeg
    3A8CDAB0-C81B-4D37-8BAD-C566903D37FE.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 7943AEA0-80DB-4465-AD7D-65289FDEA7C1.jpeg
    7943AEA0-80DB-4465-AD7D-65289FDEA7C1.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 23
  • A59083C8-7C5F-49E2-B8A7-DBA8057B7F64.jpeg
    A59083C8-7C5F-49E2-B8A7-DBA8057B7F64.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 5E9CCADA-5CBD-402E-BFD4-D82A8046ECB3.jpeg
    5E9CCADA-5CBD-402E-BFD4-D82A8046ECB3.jpeg