custom charger input

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkslayor24

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
so i have an old 19v laptop charger. i got an idea, to use it to power 2 chargers both running 5A at the same time, would this be possible?

No, because it's a power supply. The charging circuit is inside the computer.
5A does not determine your input voltage, either.

No, because it's a power supply. The charging circuit is inside the computer.
5A does not determine your input voltage, either.

Thank you for pointing out my bad description and termonology. I meant to say the power supply for a laptop, it is either 18v or 19v (I can't remember) And it will hold a 7A current. Could I use that to power 2 chargers? (In place of a hobby grade power supply)

The answer is still no. If you split it two ways you still have 19V DC. Basic chargers use 120V AC and convert it to about 6V DC and low amperage.

Last edited:
I just looked and the highest my chargers take is 18v and 15v. so if i were to buy a 15v power supply, i could power them both. Now i do have another question, if i wanted to run both chargers at the same time off 1 supply, would it do anything to my amps? say I'm running both chargers at once with 5A each, would i be able to use a supply that only puts out 5A or would i have to go higher?

If you wanna power 2 Lipo chargers at the same time you need to convert a 450-500+ watt ATX Power supply. That would be able to handle the Amp draw and would put out an acceptable voltage.

We just converted pc PSUs into lab PSUs in class. Fun stuff.