Current 1/10 - Upgrading to 1/8 - Advice Needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayden-23

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here. My name is Julian and i'm from Melbourne, Australia.

I've had an 1/10 HBX Wildfire with a 15CXP engine for about 2-3 years. Over that time I've learnt about nitro cars and realised what a pain in the rear end the 15CXP is regarding tuning. Don't think I've ever had the thing running optimally without engine problems or breaking something. Frustrating!

Anyway I'm now looking to a new model and upgrading to 1/8 as I've been told 1/8 has become very popular now, as popular as 1/10 or maybe ahead.

Taking into account i still consider myself as learning the in's and out's of nitro I've been working with a budget of about $300-$500 range.

Two cars I've looked at online in Hobby Shops within Australia are the HPI 1/8 3.5 Trophy and the Kyosho 1/8 Inferno Neo 2.0.

Any advice on these two vehicles would be much appreciated such as the obvious if one is better than the other, and top speeds for each model. I'm unsure whether id ever be racing apart from with a mate so for me its about speed and bashing.

Thanks for welcoming me here and appreciate all comments and feedback.

Cheers all!

I would recommend the HPI over the Kyosho because HPI has better parts availability in my experience. It's a pain to try and find Kyosho parts whereas most of the local hobby shops (LHS) have the HPI stuff in stock.

I'd go for the HPI for that same reason.

Do you have a hobby shop? Any idea on what they stock for parts for 1/8th scale rigs?

I'd go for the HPI for that same reason.

Do you have a hobby shop? Any idea on what they stock for parts for 1/8th scale rigs?

I'm in Melbourne and there are a few hobby shops in the suburbs and two in the CBD. Otherwise id be purchasing online from interstate for the actual car or parts/accessories depending on pricing etc

Just trying to get info from all the experts here on which is best.. obviously youve been kind enough to suggest HPI along with another poster...

Also wondering top speeds of these models.. the HPI and Kyosho and the major differences between them.

As mentioned my budget is in the range of $300-$500AUD and they seem to be the best two fitting my budget criteria ? :)

Well, I've never had an HPI buggy. For some reason, I thought the Trophy was a 4wd stadium truck, which is longer/wider/taller than a buggy, but similar build otherwise. I've had other HPI products though, nitro MT, savage 21, savage-x, baja SS.

Speed is subjective and somewhat irrelevant when your talking a single speed rig. If your bashing or racing, you can change the clutch bell to increase or lower top speed to suit you or where you run. Pretty much any engine in an 1/8th scale buggy can push taller gearing to be faster without much drawback.

I'd suggest OFNA, but seems they are either gearing more towards electric or dropping out of business in general. Tower hobbies lists most (if not all) of their nitro 1/8th buggies as discontinued. I've had a few OFNA buggies over the years and they are tough as nails.

I'd go for the HPI, great customer service and better parts availability in my experience. Top speed isn't everything, durability and reliability are more important.

image.jpg
The Trophy 3.5 is a great buggy. The F3.5 engine is a very good stock engine and with my dynamite 086 pipe it's even faster, 45 mph.
Parts are readily available almost anywhere and are dirt cheap. Not to mention I've got parts from a Hyper 7, Hot Bodies D815 and its big brother the Trophy 4.6 Truggy on mine with hardly any fabrication on my part. I've got a Novarrossi Paloma Limited .21 engine with a Reds racing clutch sitting in it too.
I've heard great things about the Kyosho to I've just never owned one but I have thought about buying the Kyosho TKI3 and a Mugen MBX7. I think you'll save some money buying the Trophy Buggy. Also please consider the HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6. I have a Truggy and I love it.

View attachment 17238 The Trophy 3.5 is a great buggy. The F3.5 engine is a very good stock engine and with my dynamite 086 pipe it's even faster, 45 mph.
Parts are readily available almost anywhere and are dirt cheap. Not to mention I've got parts from a Hyper 7, Hot Bodies D815 and its big brother the Trophy 4.6 Truggy on mine with hardly any fabrication on my part. I've got a Novarrossi Paloma Limited .21 engine with a Reds racing clutch sitting in it too.
I've heard great things about the Kyosho to I've just never owned one but I have thought about buying the Kyosho TKI3 and a Mugen MBX7. I think you'll save some money buying the Trophy Buggy. Also please consider the HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6. I have a Truggy and I love it.

Thanks very much for your reply and feedback.

Your duo look awesome. I'm pretty much set on some type of buggy. I've never really been into truggies or trucks so I'm just looking for the right one which meets my budget range :)

The HPI is a good buggy but I personally like the associated or OFNA buggies better. Not that theres anything wrong with the HPI, its just my preference. Couple more choices to possibly look at. :)

I had an X-Ray, that was a great buggy... If price was no object.

Someone else. I sold mine after I moved and needed room for other interests.

Back