Crawl'n for Christmas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound module is kind of neat for about 5 minutes. I am like @Tunedpipe I prefer the sounds of my environment. I think of crawling like camping, I go to get away from the noise and other people. I don't understand the people who bring their tv's and blast their radios, you can stay home and do that.

As @WickedFog mentioned, I have been enjoying my Associated/Element Crawlers. They also have a couple of builder kits as well as several RTR's. I don't personally have any other brands to compare to, but have had no real complaints. Plenty of aftermarket goodies for Element as well. Lots of fun to be had no matter what you decide.

Crawling is a lot more technical in it's driving, but I find it enjoyable, looking for the best approach to tackle an obstacle. It's amazing sometimes the things they will climb with a little persistence (it helps to be stubborn as a mule sometimes 🤣 )

One of the best things about crawlers, is that after your initial investment, and fine tuning, there is really not much expense involved, damage is almost nonexistent (unlike bashing which requires a lot of replacement parts) which is great for folks on a budget.
True that!...but it does produce a cool light streak pattern of you drive fast enough and turn sharp enough 😉
TRON!

The biggest reason I prefer crawlers over anything is the fact that there is unlimited ways to go with them. Once a basher is modded to the fullest, it's modded.
I change mine around every once in awhile with parts. I love working on them even more so than driving them but like @Doom! mentioned, the wife and always load them up in the camper when we go camping or a fishing trip.

Last edited:
@Tunedpipe I prefer the sounds of my environment.
Unless it's this....
The biggest reason I prefer crawlers over anything is the fact that there is unlimited ways to go with them. Once a basher is modded to the fullest, it's modded.
I change mine around every once in awhile with parts. I love working on them even more so than driving them but like @Doom! mentioned, the wife and always load them up in the camper when we go camping or a fishing trip.
I prefer the woods, and being away from most people, most of the time, as well 😉
0607201116.jpg

Last edited:
Out of all the crawlers I have if I could only have one it would be the TRX4 sport. It’s lighter, cheaper and more capable than the fancy trx4s. With a $20 crawlmaster sport 12 or 10t motor (or brushless system) there’s no need for the two speed trans. SCX10 I imagine would be nice too but don’t have experience with it. The ones I’ve crawled with are really nice, expensive and don’t seem as durable or capable as my trx4. I’m sure there are some great ones and I by no means have seen it all.
For realistic scale crawling something with a heavier body will look nicer but hold you back on steep climbs and side hilling. To overcome that can cost a lot of money.
For big crawlers (1/8 or bigger) there’s not many hobby grade crawlers out there. The redcat marksman will be out soon. It’s a Jeep looking 1/8 trail crawler. There’s limited running footage but from what I’ve seen it looks pretty fun.
https://www.redcatracing.com/products/tc8-marksman?variant=39431182909530

You guys can have the camping. I'm sleeping in my comfy bed with my whitenoise machine and AC 🤣 🤣 🤣

I'm gonna have me a crawler eventually but when I do I'm prolly going MOA comp style crawler. I'm not into the scale thing for some reason nearly as much as you guys are. I guess I'm just odd like that :)

You guys can have the camping. I'm sleeping in my comfy bed with my whitenoise machine and AC 🤣 🤣 🤣

I'm gonna have me a crawler eventually but when I do I'm prolly going MOA comp style crawler. I'm not into the scale thing for some reason nearly as much as you guys are. I guess I'm just odd like that :)
Frigging city slicker!

Out of all the crawlers I have if I could only have one it would be the TRX4 sport. It’s lighter, cheaper and more capable than the fancy trx4s.
With the Sport, you're not paying for the brand licensing. However, Traxxas does do a fantastic job on those classic bodies though. So, I feel it's worth the extra Benjamin's.

With the Sport, you're not paying for the brand licensing. However, Traxxas does do a fantastic job on those classic bodies though. So, I feel it's worth the extra Benjamin's.
Yes, they are very nicely done bodies and the added features of two speed trans, unlocking difs and fender wells can be handy. The sport looks like a toy next to them and looks a little bouncy for scale crawling. Where I live in south eastern pa we have a lot of great bolder fields to crawl in. Without going full on comp crawler the variations of my sport have been very good. I also own the trx6 but again the high heavy features and over hanging body really hold it from being something very special.

Yes, they are very nicely done bodies and the added features of two speed trans, unlocking difs and fender wells can be handy. The sport looks like a toy next to them and looks a little bouncy for scale crawling. Where I live in south eastern pa we have a lot of great bolder fields to crawl in. Without going full on comp crawler the variations of my sport have been very good. I also own the trx6 but again the high heavy features and over hanging body really hold it from being something very special.
There definitely is a balance/sacrifice you need to decide on when you go crawler. How much scale realism you want over crawlability. 10 years ago, I had little interest in scale, and was only into crawling performance. So, it was all about MOA. Today, I've gone nearly 180 from that previous mindset.

There definitely is a balance/sacrifice you need to decide on when you go crawler. How much scale realism you want over crawlability. 10 years ago, I had little interest in scale, and was only into crawling performance. So, it was all about MOA. Today, I've gone nearly 180 from that previous mindset.
Definitely can appreciate scale builders. Wife and I have Gen8 (mine is the axe version, lucky me...). Their smallish tires, super plush suspension and heavy bodies make them look scale on the trail. Those scout bodies can really be done nicely with some scale features. Especially the axe with the open bed. Not bad performers and with better foam, heavier wheels, and bigger tires even better.
Some of the those crossover belly dragger rigs with scale features can be amazing in looks, scale and performance. Would love to build one of those but still researching them...

Definitely can appreciate scale builders. Wife and I have Gen8 (mine is the axe version, lucky me...). Their smallish tires, super plush suspension and heavy bodies make them look scale on the trail. Those scout bodies can really be done nicely with some scale features. Especially the axe with the open bed. Not bad performers and with better foam, heavier wheels, and bigger tires even better.
Some of the those crossover belly dragger rigs with scale features can be amazing in looks, scale and performance. Would love to build one of those but still researching them...
I got my Gen8V2 back in May, and so far I've done this. Upgraded to a Hobbywing Fusion brushless power plant recently was well. It now weighs in at 9.5lb!
0906211639a.jpg

If you are leaning towards a crawler bigger than the 1/10, you will run into issues if you plan to join crawler competitions. Unfortunately I don't think there is any entries for 1/8 scale. I may be wrong but I've never seen any.
Also, there is very few aftermarket parts available. If they ever become more popular then you will start seeing aftermarket parts but I really don't see that happening.
The bigger the rig the cooler they are as far as I'm concerned but just really isn't a market for them right now.

Last edited:
Personally I like the 1/10 size, anything bigger becomes a nuisance to transport and store. Of course the 1/24 SCX24's are extremely portable and storable but can't quite get as much detail into them. But I love them.

I have yet to own a 24 but I will. They are very cool and would be great inside when the weather is terrible.

Last edited:
Back