Crawl'n for Christmas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WideOpen

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
So, I think I have mentioned a few times that you all have gotten me interested in this "Crawl'n" deal - darn you guys, like I need something else. Anyway, since this is all your fault, now I feel you have some responsibility to help guide me. I want 4X4, electric, (I'd like one of them in nitro, just don't see that as a good option in Crawl'n), and I'd like the size of our TMaxx Classic. I want something I can get parts for and something I can modify.

For crawling, 4x4 is really the only option unless you want to go 6x6. 2x4 ain't gonna cut it. Nitro and crawling just don't mix. You want to be able to move in mm when times call for it. I just installed a crawl specific brushless motor/esc stem into one of my rigs and the control and precision is just awesome!

Axial and trx4 I can say both parts and aftermarket.
Redcat, and the car listed below are the only 1/8ths I know of. The axial with the jeep cherokee is on the verge of 1/8 imo.
https://www.bigsquidrc.com/traction-hobby-1-8-tank-300-rtr-scale-crawler/

You can find a 1/8 body and make a 1/10 chassis work.
Nick rummy 1/6 build
http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/showthread.php?49958-BUILD-Rummy-s-1-6h-Scale-Chevy-Monster-Truck

For a nitro, its gonna take money, patients, and work on your side.
This guy converted from exlectric to water cooled nitro.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Burnet1989/videos

Alot of "10th" scale cars and bodies are actually not true scale, and may even be a combinatiom of scales depending on the side of length, width, or height.

I hear traxxas trx4 has locking diffs, and a 2 speed.

Axial has a 2 speed tranny or the ax10 tranny with a dig. A dig locks one axle and powers the other to navigate tight sections. When I installed my dig, I left a few parts out so I can go from 2wd to 4wd.🖒

The origina scx10 diffs can be moded to lock via remote.

Last edited:
So, I think I have mentioned a few times that you all have gotten me interested in this "Crawl'n" deal - darn you guys, like I need something else. Anyway, since this is all your fault, now I feel you have some responsibility to help guide me. I want 4X4, electric, (I'd like one of them in nitro, just don't see that as a good option in Crawl'n), and I'd like the size of our TMaxx Classic. I want something I can get parts for and something I can modify.
The Axial SCX10 has a ton of mods available for it, as does the Traxxas TRX4. I don't own either, but have been looking into them quite a bit. The mod thing is what interests me as well, and the following these trucks have will make scouring the internet for modding ideas an easy process. They are GREAT looking trucks too, in any version of the model you get. The SCX10, the SCX10 II and SCX10 III, TRX4, TRX4 Sport, etc. These are available in kit form, and I highly recommend a kit over a RTR. You learn SO much about your RC as you build it.

Other than those Associated has some good looking rigs. Check out @Doom!'s Associated Enduro Sendero in the Crawl Chronicles thread. It is a wicked looking truck.

Redcat is a brand that has had hits and misses in the hobby, but their Gen8 line is really popular as well. They have a few versions of these too. The GEN8 AXE is a really cool rig that I would like to get some day.

Those are the ones I have been looking into getting. I am sure there are others here with some good suggestions.

In regards to what to get, I would very highly recommend the Traxxas TRX4 platform. Just great engineering and the RTR performs awesome right out of the box.
Here are my 3: Redcat Gen8V2; Traxxas TRX4 Defender; Axial SCX10iii Jeep JLU.
Also, the TRX4 has a 2 speed transmission that gives you enough speed to bash, if you so desire. The Axial also has a 2 speed transmission, but the stock gearing was not well thought out, and barely gives it that much more additional speed.
0615211729a.jpg

Axial and trx4 I can say both parts and aftermarket.
Redcat, and the car listed below are the only 1/8ths I know of. The axial with the jeep cherokee is on the verge of 1/8 imo.
https://www.bigsquidrc.com/traction-hobby-1-8-tank-300-rtr-scale-crawler/

You can find a 1/8 body and make a 1/10 chassis work.
Nick rummy 1/6 build
http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/showthread.php?49958-BUILD-Rummy-s-1-6h-Scale-Chevy-Monster-Truck

For a nitro, its gonna take money, patients, and work on your side.
This guy converted from exlectric to water cooled nitro.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Burnet1989/videos

Alot of "10th" scale cars and bodies are actually not true scale, and may even be a combinatiom of scales depending on the side of length, width, or height.
The Redcat Gen8V2 Scout body is closer to 1/8 scale, but the chassis is still 1/10. But, yes, there are no standardization by manufacturers when it comes to scale accuracy.
Here's my Redcat Scout body matched up with the TRX4 Defender chassis.
0722212051_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
So I must agree with you. It's all there fault. Because now I want a crawler bad.. but I will be getting a couple 24s as well for indoor use when it's super cold out... with that said I'm looking at the TRX-4 2speed. Only because my ADHD the very slow movement will drive me crazy. So need it to be able to get up and go from time to time👍👍 but it doesn't come with a body. But I will find one. Also the axial scx10.3 It also has 2speed but can be built in multiple ways think like 5-7 different ways they say. But here's the two I'm looking at. But most likely will be the TRX-4 for parts. My LHS has them all

"Axial Racing - SCX10 III Jeep JLU Wrangler w/Portals 1/10th KIT" http://www.axialracing.com/products/axi03007

"TRX-4 Chassis Kit | RC Crawler Kit | Traxxas" https://m.traxxas.com/products/models/electric/trx-4-kit

The wife and I crawl more than bash and we use SCX10 and Redcat. I have built 4 or 5 using the the SCX10 platform.
Redcat Gen series is decent also. They aren't top of the line but I have a fully modded Gen 7.
The wife uses a Redcat Everest 10.
24s are really becoming popular and is definitely on my list of wants.
I always thought the nitro crawler was a terrible idea simply because of overheating engine at low RPMs,
noise, "nothing more peaceful than running quiet crawlers in the Mountains", and
you need very low speed torque and a nitro won't give you that.
You could satisfy that itch with a rock racer or some call them rock bouncers if you want the speed but I'm not a fan.
Endless possibilities in crawlers, you will love it.

You could satisfy that itch with a rock racer or some call them rock bouncers if you want the speed but I'm not a fan.

You can also put a sound module in to emulate engine sounds, horns, etc.

You can also put a sound module in to emulate engine sounds, horns, etc.
...but, this would be at the expense of keeping the overall weight down and raising the center of gravity. But, it does give it that extra dimension of realism!
The wife and I crawl more than bash and we use SCX10 and Redcat. I have built 4 or 5 using the the SCX10 platform.
Redcat Gen series is decent also. They aren't top of the line but I have a fully modded Gen 7.
The wife uses a Redcat Everest 10.
24s are really becoming popular and is definitely on my list of wants.
I always thought the nitro crawler was a terrible idea simply because of overheating engine at low RPMs,
noise, "nothing more peaceful than running quiet crawlers in the Mountains", and
you need very low speed torque and a nitro won't give you that.
In stock form, it doesn't get much quieter than the TRX4!

I still want the TRX4 Sport kit but I have to wait until after my 24 scale purchases. :(
Good gawd, RCs is such a pain in the arse...;)
I want one also, but after the cen.

In all honesty, I have to wait until after Christmas because we have 13 Grandkids we have to buy for and the wife is going to California to a wedding next month. Even my Xmaxx build will be on hold for a couple months after my next parts purchase.

For the love of God and all that is holy, please dont do anything that cheesy...... 🤣 🤣 🤣
Haha
I don't have one, nor plan on getting one. Just because I don't want the weight and for me it's just not worth the money. But, if I got one for free, I would play with it just for the giggle factor.
I do think it sounds cool though.

Last edited:
I started with a 24, then it multiplied into 2, then I built a couple, and there are at least 2 builds that I'm still working on- along with rebuilding my original c10. The ease of finding fun crawling terrain inside or out make me love them.
Next I got a trx-6 for Christmas, and left it stock for awhile. It was a hoot in snow. It got a brushless upgrade, then I got tired of the body hanging up on everything and traded for a unimog body. It turned into a full rebuild. It's a total beast now. I haul a 24 on it when I take it trailing- best of both worlds there.
A good friend made me a deal on his capra last spring. It introduced me to real crawling. They're geared a bit high, but super fun to play around on any kind of terrain. It gets alot of play time.
Somewhere in there I horse traded for a gen8 v2. It was super easy to mod. In stock form, they're pretty top heavy, but a little brass goes a long way. And the factory wheels are easy to add weight to. With a lighter body on it, the thing was pretty impressive. But I traded it for a 6s typhon one day, and now I miss it. I'll definitely have another gen8 someday.
A few months ago I picked up a trx-4 sport kit, and started grabbing lcg parts (mostly gspeed and tgh). My thoughs were to use the trx axles for a comp crawler/cheater rig. A good friend convinced me to build out the trx-4 in factory form first. I'm glad I did. With a few tweaks and some creativity, it blows my mind with its abilities.
So now I plan to swap the capra axles onto the lcg build. I just need a tranny, links, and shocks to finish that one. Then I'll put some ar44's on the capra and use it as as bpuncer.
Long story short, I've gone down a few of the available rabbit holes.

There's no bad option.

Although bang for the buck, the trx-4 sport kit is king.

What I find annoying are lighting systems with turn signals that comes on whenever you steer. Do we really need turn signals, even on 1:1, while traveling in the middle of the woods, at a whopping 5mph? 🙄 I just don't get the appeal 🤔

The turn signal thing is a total turn off to me. No pun intended.
The motor sound I can live without. That pretty much goes against my theory, the quiet mountains.
On the other hand, some competitions make it an advantage on scoring with upgrades like the sound module and turn signals.
I like the scale accessories like fuel cans, tools, winch, stuff like that but don't like the figures inside. To me that makes them look like a toy grade RC.

The turn signal thing is a total turn off to me. No pun intended.
The motor sound I can live without. That pretty much goes against my theory, the quiet mountains.
On the other hand, some competitions make it an advantage on scoring with upgrades like the sound module and turn signals.
I like the scale accessories like fuel cans, tools, winch, stuff like that but don't like the figures inside. To me that makes them look like a toy grade RC.
Another of my pet peeves with scale crawlers are people who hang metal buckets on the side of the roof rack. The thing is constantly banging on the vehicles. What 1:1 driver/owner would do this to their vehicles, or can stand the incessant metal on metal banging against the side of the vehicle while they are driving?

Haha
I don't have one, not plan on getting one. Just because I don't want the weight and fit me it's just not worth the money. But, if I got one for free, I would play with it just for the giggle factor.
I do think it sounds cool though.
I personally don't think I will ever install a sound module, but watching Danny Huynh's vids kinda makes me want one sometimes. My son hss 3 pieces of construction equipment with sound and 9 times out of it gets turned off. It is just pretty annoying.

What I find annoying are lighting systems with turn signals that comes on whenever you steer. Do we really need turn signals, even on 1:1, while traveling in the middle of the woods, at a whopping 5mph? 🙄 I just don't get the appeal 🤔
If you drive fast enough turn signals are pretty pointless on 1:1s too 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Back