converting to a non-pull start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro dave

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys,
I am entering into the world of starter boxes and non-PS engines. I currently have a .12CV-x that still has life in her. I am thinking about converting it to a non-PS, but am not completely sure what I need to get or do to make that happen. Any words of wisdom for me? Thanks.

Nitro Dave, to answer your question...

It really depends on the way the engine's pullstart is setup. Some have the one-way bearing connected directly to the crankshaft, and some don't. Usually if it's connected directly to the crankshaft, you'll have to trim off a little notch type thing where the one-way connects to. This clears the backplate. Then just simply install the non-pullstart backplate, and it should work out just fine.

Or like what I did with the novarossi cx12 that I gave you, just take off the pullstart, and one-way, then take a non-pullstart backplate and connect it backwards so you don't have to modify the crankshaft.

BTW, OS and novarossi backplates fit perfectly.

I hope I made sense, i'm a little on the sick side of life.

Originally posted by kwong2001
Nitro Dave, to answer your question...

It really depends on the way the engine's pullstart is setup. Some have the one-way bearing connected directly to the crankshaft, and some don't. Usually if it's connected directly to the crankshaft, you'll have to trim off a little notch type thing where the one-way connects to. This clears the backplate. Then just simply install the non-pullstart backplate, and it should work out just fine.

Or like what I did with the novarossi cx12 that I gave you, just take off the pullstart, and one-way, then take a non-pullstart backplate and connect it backwards so you don't have to modify the crankshaft.

BTW, OS and novarossi backplates fit perfectly.

I hope I made sense, i'm a little on the sick side of life.

Thanks Kevin- finally someone who can friggin read. I'll track down an os back plate and convert that sob.

Why bother to convert it? The stock engine I had in my NTC3 was a PS engine. One day I got sick of using the pull starter so I got a starter box. The engine roared to life each time with no problems. Just my :2cents:

Originally posted by mcvickj
Why bother to convert it? The stock engine I had in my NTC3 was a PS engine. One day I got sick of using the pull starter so I got a starter box. The engine roared to life each time with no problems. Just my :2cents:

Less rotating mass, both engines will be the same, non-ps. slightly lower CG. I just want to. Any of those reasons will work for me.

I have an OS .15 CV-X and the crankshaft has a pin at the end, I'm certain it sits too far out for the backplate to fit in so you might have to shave it off with a cutting tool like a dremel. I've done this with my OS .21 RG that had a pullstart.

Originally posted by mcvickj

There is a slight noticable power difference when you convert it to non pullstart. And like nitro dave said, lower cg.

Nitro dave, you will either have to modify your existing crank, by removing the pin for the starter shaft, or get a new crank for a non-pull engine. You will also need a new backplate specifically for a non-pull engine. Thats all you should really need to switch it over.

Wasteland and Stetch. ND asked for his thread to remain on track, specifically asked for you to take it to another thread and not to crap on this thread. I will be deleteing all your posts that do not pertain to this thread. Please start your own thread if you want to discuss a different subject. Thank You.

I have a Mach .15 PS on my 3XNT RTR Sport... hit it with the dynamite bumpstarter and now my flywheel freespins... the PS seemed to seize (pull back) on start.. and fuel flew threw my airfilter (to rich, might have cause hydrolock and stripped the bearings....) what happened?

Derek