considering buying a used savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k5floyd

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i may be in the market for a used savage in the near future. the plan is to sell one of my maxxs, buy a savage, drop the .28 picco from my other maxx into the savage, and the 4.6 into my maxx.

i know I'm looking for a mostly stock savage with a 4.6 that has plenty of life left in it and a 2spd trans but other than that i dont much else about the savage or the different models.

what are the differences in models of the savage? which one will be best suited for bashing and handling the power of the .28 picco? what should i be looking for in a used savage? about how much should i be looking to spend on a used one? what are the most common problems/breakages with the savage?

sorry for all the questions but i want to be informed before i drop any dough. all all advice/info is much appreciated. thank guys.

any savage you decide to purchase will be able to handle your motor. When you get one tear it down and shim the diffs, and make sure everything is cool; have fun bashing.

The X possibly comes with a 3spd tranny(may want to check), the thing I like about the x is the quick access to the diff cases; you don't actually need to remove the front or rear shock tower or any of the parts that are around the diffs. A 25 like mine I have to pretty much completely disassemble to get my diffs out. Also the new X comes with aluminum diff cases, spider gears, and hardend steel spur gear.

do you know the difference between the x, xl, and ss?

The weakest part of the savage are the diffs, and if not properly shimmed, you will have carnage. The XL is the only one that comes with the three speed trans but can be put in the savage x.