Connecting rods matance

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animeweeb

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
Hey guys i just saw a video someone posted and would like to know if you guys change your connecting rods after a few gallons? also do you guys know of any 3.3 connecting rod upgrades and what will happen to the engine if the connecting rod breaks when your running it and would running better fuel do anything i heard that someone said if you run nice fuel your connecting rod should be fine and if you run fuel with high oil content then your connecting rod can break and be hard to tune plus they said it's bad for the engine

here is link to video

Hey guys i just saw a video someone posted and would like to know if you guys change your connecting rods after a few gallons? also do you guys know of any 3.3 connecting rod upgrades and what will happen to the engine if the connecting rod breaks when your running it and would running better fuel do anything i heard that someone said if you run nice fuel your connecting rod should be fine and if you run fuel with high oil content then your connecting rod can break and be hard to tune plus they said it's bad for the engine

here is link to video

True ,if you take certain precautions like always heat the engine up before you start the engine ,
you can prolong the life of it ,including the rod ,a cold start hammers it ,so try to always warm
the engine up with some kind of heat source ,like a heat gun from harbor freight!..:thumbs-up:

I don't run nitro much anymore. 20 years ago, I'd go through 5-6 gallons in a year, which isn't much compared to guys that race and rip through a gallon in a weekend. That said, I've never broken a con-rod, but I've also never run traxxas engines a whole lot. They would annoy me and I'd replace them with something that performed better. Especially in the tmaxx or revo. The 2.5/2.5R was a joke for a MT IMHO. The 3.3 wasn't that great either for me in a revo.

There was a guy that made con-rod's for the 2.5/3.3, I think they used the same one, Davis Diesel:
https://www.gravesrc.com/davis-model-products-heavy-duty-rod-traxxas-2-5-3-3.html

Not sure if they are made anymore though.

here is link to video
Honestly I've never had this problem I still have my original TRX 2.5 that still runs great. My 3.3 sat in its box for yrs before I finally threw it in my build 1-2 yrs ago. As long as you take care of your motor you shouldn't have a problem. Like after run oil. Run your tank empty.NEVER LEAVE FUEL IN MOTOR OR TANK. Run the correct nitro fuel for the motor your using all fuel is different. All motors are different. And also got to tune the motor you are running to your environment. Like temp/humidity. Or you will probably have problems.You also can't over think anything , or take 1 persons experience and set it in stone. Everybody has different opinions and experiences with nitro motors It all comes down to motor care and maintenance. problems. The proper fuel and tunning. For the motor your running. I always use traxxas fuel in my TRX motors. Or I use O'Donnell racing fuel. Why traxxas fuel because they have higher oil% and don't really need to much after run oil. The O'Donnell only has 10% oil in their 33% fuel. Once again it comes down to preference and how your driven. Either way you don't want to go below 10% lub.
16260116770641603167865243316625.jpg

Post automatically merged:

here is link to video

Last edited:
Not to be a. a*s hat or anything. But your only looking at the problems other people are haven. And negative thoughts on nitro. Sounds like some one else that's in the fourm. LOL Nitro motors are a blast to run. The sound the smell everything. So don't get hung up on other people's problems with nitro. Because they probably never take care of it. If you want one get one bud. They are awesome . But there is more care and maintenance to them . Then just plug in battery and watch your temp. Take care of it and you shouldn't have a problem. #1 DONT OVER THINK IT JUST HAVE FUN AND DRIVE BASH RACE IT THE WHEELS FALL OFF 😁😁😁

"18 Best Nitro Gas Powered RC Cars & Trucks (Jul 2021 Review)" https://hobbyhelp.com/rc-cars/best-nitro-gas-powered-rc-cars-trucks/

Last edited:
My 1st RC was a TMaxx 3.3 Never had any issues with the engine at all. I gave it to my nephew a few years back and he bashes it hard. Wide open runs, races his buddies, and he hasn’t blown it up yet. I don’t think you’ll have a problem if you maintain it. And @cbaker65 I enjoy watching thebug 404 also. He knows his stuff 😊

here is link to video
I've never changed a con rod and probably never would unless it actually broke. I've got an old Mach .26 engine that probably has 15+ gallons through it and it still runs to this day. i still have it in my OFNA MBX9.5 buggy.

Most people generally recommend somewhere between 8-12% oil in your nitro fuel. Back before I took a few years away from the hobby I used to run Odonnell's 30% which had 8% oil IIRC.

That said, I've never broken a con-rod, but I've also never run traxxas engines a whole lot. They would annoy me and I'd replace them with something that performed better. Especially in the tmaxx or revo. The 2.5/2.5R was a joke for a MT IMHO. The 3.3 wasn't that great either for me in a revo.
I'm pretty much in this same boat. I didnt even think the 2.5 was all that hot in my Rustler. Dont get me wrong I'm not a hater on the TRX engines but after my first 3 or so I started just yanking them out of the kits, selling them and putting the money toward a better more powerful better budget engines.

Not to be a. a*s hat or anything. But your only looking at the problems other people are haven. And negative thoughts on nitro. Sounds like some one else that's in the fourm. LOL Nitro motors are a blast to run. The sound the smell everything. So don't get hung up on other people's problems with nitro. Because they probably never take care of it. If you want one get one bud. They are awesome . But there is more care and maintenance to them . Then just plug in battery and watch your temp. Take care of it and you shouldn't have a problem. #1 DONT OVER THINK IT JUST HAVE FUN AND DRIVE BASH RACE IT THE WHEELS FALL OFF 😁😁😁

"18 Best Nitro Gas Powered RC Cars & Trucks (Jul 2021 Review)" https://hobbyhelp.com/rc-cars/best-nitro-gas-powered-rc-cars-trucks/
alright thanks i think i been overthinking just a little overbord since i this is gonna be my first nitro

You have to be careful with too much oil content ,it makes it harder for the engine to compress it there
for will make the engine work harder creating more heat ,if the fuel contains 8 or 9 % oil content per gal. ,
that is still a lot of oil by volume ,that is fuel mix is used by racers an back yard bashing ,if that % kills engines ,
it would not be used by professional racers & the average club racers alike!

Traxxas fuel has way too much oil content ,that is one of the problems of tuning & grenade issues ,Traxxas
fuel is junk!...🤮

This is my favorite Guy to watch!..:thumbs-up:

Nice going to have to start watching this guy thanks bake65👍👍

alright thanks i think i been overthinking just a little overbord since i this is gonna be my first nitro
DONT THINK JUST DO IT BUD!!!!

Nice going to have to start watching this guy thanks bake65👍👍

Ok i think i am going with the T maxx 3.3 when it's in stock or maybe a Losi

I don't run nitro much anymore. 20 years ago, I'd go through 5-6 gallons in a year, which isn't much compared to guys that race and rip through a gallon in a weekend. That said, I've never broken a con-rod, but I've also never run traxxas engines a whole lot. They would annoy me and I'd replace them with something that performed better. Especially in the tmaxx or revo. The 2.5/2.5R was a joke for a MT IMHO. The 3.3 wasn't that great either for me in a revo.

There was a guy that made con-rod's for the 2.5/3.3, I think they used the same one, Davis Diesel:
https://www.gravesrc.com/davis-model-products-heavy-duty-rod-traxxas-2-5-3-3.html

Not sure if they are made anymore though.
Yeah they aren't made anymore you can check out what happend on his facebook

There is nothing wrong with buying a Traxxas ,just as long as you tune it right ,in some case ,people
had changed the carb out for better performance & reliability purposes ,so it isnt only weak rod ,they
have carb issues as well ,some people had actually replaced the engine entirely!.. :thumbs-up:

Yeah they aren't made anymore you can check out what happend on his facebook
Get which ever one puts a smile on your face bud. They all have their own +/- It's all about Care mantiance and tunning when it comes to nitro. Can't wait to see what you get happy nitro LOL

One of the issues ,is Traxxas made heavy MT's like 1/8 scale like trucks ,but they are still stuck on stupid ,an
need to get with the times like all the other companies have years ago ,we all want higher than a small block
in a heavy trucks ,Traxxas needs to wake up!..:deadhorse

One of the issues ,is Traxxas made heavy MT's like 1/8 scale like trucks ,but they are still stuck on stupid ,an
need to get with the times like all the other companies have years ago ,we all want higher than a small block
in a heavy trucks ,Traxxas needs to wake up!..:deadhorse
Just like their electronics. Like you said get with the times. And listen to the people that run your stuff. And not kick them off or block their opinions on your forum. 🤣🤣🤣👍👍

Just like their electronics. Like you said get with the times. And listen to the people that run your stuff. And not kick them off or block their opinions on your forum. 🤣🤣🤣👍👍

We hard core bashers even done away with the 21 size engines in are heavy 1/8 scale trucks years ago ,
AE Team Assoc. did it & HPI did it in their Savages ,while Traxxas is still stuck in the cave man days ,who uses
a same size engine in a 1/10 th scale car in a heavy 1/8 th scale truck is pure ignorant!..:wtf:

We hard core bashers even done away with the 21 size engines in are heavy 1/8 scale trucks years ago ,
AE Team Assoc. did it & HPI did it in their Savages ,while Traxxas is still stuck in the cave man days ,who uses
a same size engine in a 1/10 th scale car in a heavy 1/8 th scale truck is pure ignorant!..:wtf:
That's the next project. Swap out 3.3 and go with BIG block. It runs ok but like you said lot more motors that will send it. Even better.. BIGGER BADDER FASTER

Going O.S , dynamite , LRP. Trying to find a strong 3hp big block for the 3.3. Would rip apart the 2.5 drive train. Will leave that one as is

Last edited:
That's the next project. Swap out 3.3 and go with BIG block. It runs ok but like you said lot more motors that will send it. Even better.. BIGGER BADDER FASTER

There is nothing wrong with buying or owning a Traxxas ,however ,they do need to rethink their size
engines in their more heavier trucks an design a better bigger engine for them!

The real true real reason for Traxxas haters ,is they screwed every HPI lovers life up!... 🤮

There is nothing wrong with buying or owning a Traxxas ,however ,they do need to rethink their size
engines in their more heavier trucks an design a better bigger engine for them!

The real true real reason for Traxxas haters ,is they screwed every HPI lovers life up!... 🤮
Lmao

Back